Default Part throttle to WOT testing

I posted the below to another forum a few weeks ago and thought I would share here.

Nothing on for the weekend so I thought Id bolt the Mickey Thompsons on and throw the dragy on the dash and do some part throttle to WOT testing. As Im into street/strip tuning of carbs I thought this type of test had some relevance for the street aspect.

What I did was set some custom parameters on dragy - 60-100kp/h (37.3-62.1mp/h), 70-110kp/h (43.5-68.3mp/h), 100-120kp/h (62.1-74.5mp/h). I went on the same route in the same direction each time performing the same test at the same area in the same street....you get the idea. Four carbies were tested: 650 Race Demon, 750 Mighty Demon with Quickfuel 4 hole metering blocks, 850 annular Mighty Demon fitted with BLP 16 hole boosters and 975 Race Demon (1.500 gold sleeve venturi). For each of the three speed test I held speed steady 1kp/h below test speed ie 69 kp/h for the 70-100kp/h test, then mashed as quick as I could to WOT.

There was no fine tuning to find best possible results, just threw each carb on as they are tuned to date to get baseline. A couple need pvcr enlargement. The 750 I tried two different emulsion/mab combinations.

650 Race Demon:
    60-100 kp/h - 2.10 sec
    70-110kp/h - 2.03 sec
    100-120kp/h - 1.23sec

750 Mighty (.028 mab, emulsion .028 x .028 x):
    60-100kp/h - 2.34 sec*
    70-110kp/h - 2.01 sec
    100-120kp/h - 1.23 sec

750 Mighty# (.033 mab, emulsion.031 .028 x .025):
    60-100kp/h - 2.15 sec*
    70-110kp/h - 2.00 sec
    100-120kp/h - 1.26 sec

850 annular Mighty#:
    60-100kp/h - 2.14 sec
    70-110kp/h - 2.02 sec
    100-120kp/h - 1.23sec

975 Race Demon:
    60-100kp/h - 2.00 sec*
    70-110kp/h - 2.00 sec
    100-120kp/h - 1.20 sec

* had some wheel spin so not 100% accurate.
    # lean from .91 to .94 lambda.

I was surprised how close the results were. Two of them Ill open up the pvcr to get .87 lambda @ WOT or below and test again. The 750 has .055 and 850 has .059 pvcrs. The remainder were already at that lambda area. And no, none of the carbs had any hesitation.

To come is the 825 Race Demon with several test including mini annulars and std downlegs. Ill also mix up mab/emulsion on that one too.

Quarter mile test will have to wait until done on the track. Pointless with the dragy on public roads as I would not get traction and I do not want to be doing around 190kp/h on public roads.

For reference car is 3350lbs, 383 sbc, 26 tire, 3.89:1 gears.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interesting to note that the 975 was the best of the bunch in those tests... but...next best was the 650???

What your testing will not reveal is the recovery after gear change though, as i assume you just held a gear for each test?

A worthy subject for discussion none the less.

Quote Originally Posted by EH179 View Post
    Interesting to note that the 975 was the best of the bunch in those tests... but...next best was the 650???

What your testing will not reveal is the recovery after gear change though, as i assume you just held a gear for each test?

A worthy subject for discussion none the less.
    Test were done in D.

Shift recovery performance would be interesting over those carbs. Would it be the 650 that had the most violent reaction to fast throttle position change or would it be the likes of the carb with the high gain annular boosters? 1/4 mile should reveal that. I’m getting antsy and I think I’ll make the trip to Heathcote sooner rather than later to find out.

I’m trying to devise test to assess street/strip performance of carbs over cfm sizes and different tunes (namely old school v modern emulsion/mab) that don’t use or focus on hp numbers but actual on road, on track performance and results. Shift recovery is certainly one of those test. Another is acceleration G’s per degree of throttle input. I might need more data acquisition for that kind of test such as throttle position sensor.

I’ve also got a bunch of different replaceable boosters too so the number of combinations of tune components of different cfm sizes is getting up there. All I need now is a track less than 2.5hrs away to do all this testing without limits.

This is using 98 octane pump fuel?

Have any of the above carbs been used on the car long enough, to establish fuel efficiency...or lack of?

How do the plugs look after each test, or more specifically, after each carb swap?

Quote Originally Posted by EH179 View Post
    This is using 98 octane pump fuel?

Have any of the above carbs been used on the car long enough, to establish fuel efficiency...or lack of?

How do the plugs look after each test, or more specifically, after each carb swap?
    Yes, BP Ultimate

No mileage test done but would be a worthy test. All carbs run very similar AFR at each of those speeds but it may not mean the same qty of fuel is being used

No plug checks, just AFR. I figure the distance of low speed and idling back home would not be indicative of the test and they may look all the same. A hand full of new plugs and pulling over to check mid test might be on the cards.

Ive done some more testing but unfortunately a bit inconclusive as temperatures have dropped coming into winter here compromising traction. Previous test listed were on the same day with ambient temps ranging 21c to 24c. Today and last weekend cooler. Today as low as 13c. I think this is the main cause of traction issues with the same M/T tyres previously used. Despite traction issues what I can report is this;

825 Race Demon:
    (downleg .160 boosters)
    60-100kp/h - 2.01 sec (had wheelspin so promising combo. Ambient 19c)
    70-110kp/h - 2.02 sec (as above)
    100-120kp/h 1.23 sec

850 annular after opening up pvcr from previous testing:
    70-110kp/h - 2.05 sec (wheelspin again as only 13c ambient. Only test saved on that drive. Other two are videos below that dont capture custom parameter data).

As its panning out various cfm carbs from 650cfm (1.28 v X 1.688 t) to 975cfm (1.500 v X 1.75 t) downlegs and an 850cfm annular (1.56 v X 1.75 t) are all performing quite similar under street driving conditions when tuned for similar AFR windows. However, they do feel slightly different during the test from smallest to largest cfm making the data a little surprising. Most would choose the 650 for its instant response feel but it appears throttle response has two factors. One, the obvious of time it takes for the engine to respond to the rapid throttle angle change and two - acceleration rate after engine responds. These two factors are balancing out over the cfm spread to be in the same ballpark under the test I am performing.
    Not sure how many more of these test Ill do now temps have dropped making them inaccurate and price of fuel gone through the roof (paying upwards of $2.20 a litre in Aus at the moment) and M/T tyre price and availability like rocking horse poop as well. I may move on to quarter mile testing.

Below is 60-100kp/h test with the 850 annular Mighty Demon with 16 hole BLP annular boosters and modified from stock emulsion and mab. Took a while to steady at 59kp/h.

https://youtu.be/2Vc7jVFqqu8

Below is 99kp/h WOT (100 - 120kp/h test). Time under acceleration gets to 128kp/h as gps display lags.

https://youtu.be/6wrGBJM58Lg

*The two above test did not capture data

Thread Information