Default Do V8 Supercars suck these days??

The whole thing has become pretty Beige these days with endless boring, ball squeezing, high pitched commentary, ( that now starts 4 hours before the race) a guy that zooms around the electric white board, explaining why pinching off a loaf before you jump in the car will give you a weight advantage over a 161 laps, that now requires a lap counter for the Safety Car since it's out there so much.
    Just about every one has an "O" attached to the end of their name like "CrompO", LarkO, SkafO, PissedfartO, HomO, ****ing whatever..and cars that pretty much just look the same with other car manufactures names plastered on them..
    It's now just a game show, with contestants that get trained in the finer arts of TV interviews while having pedicures and deportment lessons. Everyone seems to own a racing suit... I bet if they had "Kenny" cleaning out the Port-a-Loos, he'd have a racing suit on.
    Guess that's what happens when a sport becomes nothing but a $$$$ making business with a CEO and we forget where it all originally came from.

Totally get where you're coming from - the reality is that yep, this has become an entertainment deal now, no longer a grass roots racing sport that gets a bit of tv coverage.

Over the years, I've come and gone as a fan many times over. Sometimes there's boring races/seasons, sometimes exciting. Same deal with the drivers. Most of us can no longer relate to the cars in any way, shape or form. But again, that's just the evolution of the sport. The golden era has long passed. If we were still watching factory cars racing now, it'd most likely be terribly boring (i.e. so slow and low-tech). The commentary does get very repetitive for long time watchers, but there's also a lot of great banter amongst it.

Those behind Supercars are not shying away from this discussion either - they've been openly talking about the evolution and what the future looks like. Gen 3 has potential to be quite good (should be a significant improvement over today's racing). Thank god they've retained V8's that sound the part. I'll never forgive Formula 1 for moving away from those screaming V8's/V10's to the super dull turbo V6s..... And I love the aero reduction that Gen 3 will bring in too. Plus the cars look good. Fingers crossed it proves to pan out as they hope.

The biggest thing for me in the last decade has been the move to paid TV (Foxtel) for the majority of the races. Completely lost me as a fan for a long time. Only this year, I finally opened the wallet and tried Kayo - and have to admit it's been excellent (not just for V8s, but F1 and AFL).... I think it was a COVID based decision for me. Gave me something to get interested in again! I've really enjoyed both the V8 Supercars and F1 seasons... but totally relate to everything you've called out.

been here .......too long Smitty2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Area51 View Post
    The whole thing has become pretty Beige these days with endless boring, ball squeezing, high pitched commentary, ( that now starts 4 hours before the race) a guy that zooms around the electric white board, explaining why pinching off a loaf before you jump in the car will give you a weight advantage over a 161 laps, that now requires a lap counter for the Safety Car since it's out there so much.
    Just about every one has an "O" attached to the end of their name like "CrompO", LarkO, SkafO, PissedfartO, HomO, ****ing whatever..and cars that pretty much just look the same with other car manufactures names plastered on them..
    It's now just a game show, with contestants that get trained in the finer arts of TV interviews while having pedicures and deportment lessons. Everyone seems to own a racing suit... I bet if they had "Kenny" cleaning out the Port-a-Loos, he'd have a racing suit on.
    Guess that's what happens when a sport becomes nothing but a $$$$ making business with a CEO and we forget where it all originally came from.
    yup.. DEF!
    plus you get silly sh*t like the EREBUS team having both cars disqualified ... because even though the cars weigh more than the limit,
    the pharkin doors are underweight! Pleeeze....
    and
    then you get the media proclaiming Whingecup is the GREATEST Touring car driver of all time ...EVER!
    Better than Geoghegan, Beechey, Moff, Jimmy Richards, others and yes ..even better than Brock. C'mon.

Can you imagine him wrangling a PHIII GT-HO, Group C Falcon or Commodore around the mountain for 1,000kms?
    Not in a pink fit!

the TCM guys on the mountain put on a race, a display worthy of watching
    Last edited by Smitty2; 06-12-2021 at 03:13 PM.

Never late in an AussieV8!
    Club circuit racing...the best fun you can have with your pants on

PS. For sheer old school visual appeal - Touring Car Masters does pretty well. Some great footage and plenty of carnage from those guys over the Bathurst long weekend. Loving the in-car footage of the Ryan Hansford Torana.

Do you ever leave?

hi
    50/50

Might as we watch Nascar ,gotta luv the us drivers trying to do road circuits, its hilarious .
    Need more aussie drivers in the class .

Camaro vs mustang in ozzie ,,not quite right IMO

Do you ever leave?

Quote Originally Posted by swampy View Post
    Camaro vs mustang in ozzie ,,not quite right IMO
    Do you really think thats aimed at the Aussie audience......
    The US TV market more the target I think.

It's actually full circle back to the start of touring car racing here in the 60's - Mustang versus Camaro.

I think it's assumed/hoped that most Aussie's will align to the respective brand accordingly and keep some element of that good old traditional rivalry going, be it a shadow of what used to exist. I'll follow the category for sure, but can't see myself buying merchandise.

Part of the furniture

I don't care how they promote SC. It is good for the sport. I remember a veeeeeeeeery successful car salesmen saying to me years ago,' It's not what they are saying about you, it's about them talking about you'.

I do not have f/tel & I am able to watch SC on Ch 7.

I really like Neil Crompton. He is a great commentator & explains technical things so that even non-tech people can understand. A great asset.

Quote Originally Posted by LXCHEV View Post
    It's actually full circle back to the start of touring car racing here in the 60's - Mustang versus Camaro.

I think it's assumed/hoped that most Aussie's will align to the respective brand accordingly and keep some element of that good old traditional rivalry going, be it a shadow of what used to exist. I'll follow the category for sure, but can't see myself buying merchandise.
    Problem is, Holden/GM have ****ed off a lot of their loyal customers.

I'd rather watch Central Touring Cars (NZ) and your Touring Car Masters series although with the use of Nascar engines it's getting a bit ridiculous but with the tyre limitations it sure makes it fun to watch.

Supertaxis only plays on Sky TV in NZ and it's just not worth the $$$. Not even when I get it for free.

Yeah, basically all I'm interested in now is the Touring Car Masters.
    It's now just Ford Vs Chev with Holden fans left no option but to bin the Holden merch and put on a bow tie, unless they want to look ridiculous supporting a brand that does not exist in that class any more. ..LOL. Not that it's a big deal, most of them seem to drive Toyota's anyway.
    The only thing "Australian" about the race these days is the fact it's raced on Australian soil.
    Pity we can't get 161 laps of TCM, but then again they don't have "cool suits", so that would rule out of most of today's pampered drivers

been here .......too long Smitty2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Area51 View Post
    Yeah, basically all I'm interested in now is the Touring Car Masters.
    It's now just Ford Vs Chev with Holden fans left no option but to bin the Holden merch and put on a bow tie, unless they want to look ridiculous supporting a brand that does not exist in that class any more. ..LOL. Not that it's a big deal, most of them seem to drive Toyota's anyway.
    The only thing "Australian" about the race these days is the fact it's raced on Australian soil.
    Pity we can't get 161 laps of TCM, but then again they don't have "cool suits", so that would rule out of most of today's pampered drivers
    pretty much ditto with TCM.. as I mentioned above.

guy in the car club (actually el presidente) is mates with John Bowe.. so we get a lot of info on TCM
    plus entrees into their events

Never late in an AussieV8!
    Club circuit racing...the best fun you can have with your pants on

Do you ever leave?

hi
    aussie , aussie aussie

Need an aussie car or at least a body shell . US street racing oh yea in oz , not great . Have these companies thought about the sport oh yes for the US market sales and advertising .
    Meanwhile aussies are so dumb we buy utes that are 100,000$ in RH drive .
    We have all been done ...

No profit for importers in a base model diesel work ute .

Part of the furniture

They probably suck if uou got covid at Bathurst over the weekend....

Not an SC fan. I do watch Bathurst but I used to watch a lot more races. They followed Nascar which has had declining viewership for years. Get 3 isn't going to solve that. Camaro is going out of production in 2023 just when it launches in SC. I do like the less aero in Gen 3 which will make it a bit more exciting racing, but reality is it's now the elite teams versus those making up the numbers running category controlled cars. It's not racing. There are only three things that make it interesting: 1. a crash 2. rain or 3. safety car resulting in mid pack bumping...otherwise those out in front just gap the rest and it's a procession, so after lap 1 you already know the winner
    Chris

68 Camaro 632 BBC Pro-touring

Daily driver - 1961 Buick Bubbletop - not much horsepower, but smiles for miles

Supercars lost me a long time ago.

I grew up watching Group C & Group A. The cars were heavily based on the production cars. The cars inherited many of the production cars weaknesses, the cars were hard work to drive, moved around, picked up wheels around corners, shot flames out the side. They were so exciting to watch race.

And as a result, drivers had to drive with a degree of mechanical sympathy or face a very high risk of not finishing an enduro race like Bathurst in particular. It was as much an enduro race for the cars as it was for the driver. That made it exciting. You never knew if the car would make the end, let-alone win the race. We ended up with some awesome road going factory homologation specials. So even though the average race fan couldn't afford to buy one, it made it real when you saw one on the road or could sit behind the wheel of one at a motor show. I was a staunch Holden fan and my mate was a staunch Ford fan. We didn't follow any other sport. So many great memories of us parking ourselves all day in front of the tv in October every year, watching these guys battle it out around Bathurst.We would spend most of the day taking the piss out of each other when the respective cars dropped out or crashed.

Back then, for me it was car first, then driver. I loved the Commodores, and Brock happened to be my favourite Commodore driver. If Brock had a bad day, then next in line was Grice or Perkins for me.
    But it was largely the cars for me. We got out to Lakeside a few times, and spent so much time walking around the pits, drooling over the cars and talking to the drivers. I remember looking under the bonnets with great interest, trying to figure out what they had done with the engines. There were no big covers over the engines back then, you could check out everything in those engine bays. When Brock defected to BMW and Ford, my loyalty remained with the Holdens, not Brock. I followed Perkins & Grice.

However things changed for me even at the end of Group A. Whilst admittedly some radical mods were permitted toward the end of Group A (which did start to ruin it), once the '5 litre' class began in 1993, Commodores ended up with Chevs under the bonnet, the ridiculous wings and body kits appeared, I began to lose some interest as the cars were no longer hotted up showroom models. However, I ended up begrudgingly accepting it as at least the body shells of the cars still originated from the factory.

Once the V8SC category started it just got worse, to the point it is now. The series is so clinical. Both makes must (at least in theory), have identical performance The cars are all the same under their pretentious composite skins. Holden or Ford really have no identity anymore. Mandatory pit stops instead of teams & drivers using strategy and employing driving techniques to conserve fuel & tyres. The cars have $150,000 race engines that are virtually unbreakable. Cars can be driven flat out all day at Bathurst without breaking the engine. Whiny rear mounted transaxles, crazy amounts of downforce taking the away much of the driver skill. I've always been a Holden guy, but even when I do watch a race, I really don't care anymore whether it's a Holden or Ford that wins, because it's not a Holden or Ford winning. They just look like Holdens and Fords.

The final straw for both myself and my g/f was when the series sold out to Foxtel and we lost most of the footage on FTA. As said, I don't follow any other sports, so paying a rather substantial subscription to Foxtel every month was not viable for just one race a month on average. So we both largely gave up on it. Occasionally watching the few enduros that were given full coverage on FTA. Hadn't watched Bathurst though for a couple of years. Was in the mood for motorsport October last year, so decided to flick it on and see if I could respark some interest. I didn't even make an hour and I ended up losing interest.....

I think most of the changes in Gen 3 are an improvement. I don't care if they are Australian car body shells or not. Because the previous cars weren't Falcons or Commodores anyway it was all an illusion. It's just a body shell. But I don't know if it will be enough to re-ignite the interest.

I do enjoy Touring Car Masters, but they are never broadcast on FTA. And either way, they are losing the plot too, with 700HP Nascar engines and control LS engines able to be used in any make or model. They are evolving into another sports sedan series.

My favourite series is Heritage Touring Cars which once again never gets any FTA coverage. So my partner and I will try to get out to the 2 local rounds in Qld. And every couple of years, try to drive down to Bathurst and watch them over the Easter long weekend.
    you can't put a price on FUN

Thread Information