Default Internally cleaning cruddy fuel rails and fuel lines

I'm on a bit of a mission at the moment - trying to bring a VR 5 litre project car back to life. Previous owner had seriously neglected the fuel system (being a dual fuel car that looks to have only run on LPG for a long time).

I'm working my way through the system from front to back (fuel tank/sender, fuel lines, fittings, fuel rails, injectors, the works).

Current focus is on the fuel rails - they're not bad, but still very brown on the inside. Thinking of a few different methods to get them clean - perhaps start with a soak in hot soapy water to loosen them up a bit. Then a rinse, then I might hit them with some brake and parts cleaner, then rinse and compressed air to finish? Ideally, a thin, long bottle brush would be perfect to actually give them a good scrub - haven't had any luck finding anything as yet without ordering from overseas on ebay.

Following on from the rails - I also plan to clean the internal walls of the main fuel lines that run the length of the car. Will likely plumb up a temporary pump and circulate something (obviously impossible to scrub the inner walls). I'm reluctant to use white vinegar which I've used successfully to de-rust other parts - would rather just use a more generic cleaner.

Keen to hear any thoughts from others who may have tackled this before....

Soak the rails in metho for a while, cut a small piece of scotchbrite then push it through with some dowel. It'll take a couple of passes but that will clean it up. Obviously make sure you dont leave any shit in the rail when you're done.

This will work for sure, diluted at the recommended rate

https://www.bunnings.com.au/chemtech-1l-brick-tile-and-paver-cleaner_p0964678?store=6196&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgaaM 0Y7C9AIVpQytBh2TAgh9EAQYBSABEgIm4fD_BwE&gclsrc=aw. ds

This isn't too bad either. I use it in the ultrasonic cleaner.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/simple-green-1l-green-concentrate-all-purpose-cleaner_p4470509

Loving that scotchbrite idea! And next time Iím at Bunnings Iíll pick up one of those cleaners too.

Thanks guys.

been here .......too long Smitty2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LXCHEV View Post
    I'm on a bit of a mission at the moment - trying to bring a VR 5 litre project car back to life. Previous owner had seriously neglected the fuel system (being a dual fuel car that looks to have only run on LPG for a long time).

I'm working my way through the system from front to back (fuel tank/sender, fuel lines, fittings, fuel rails, injectors, the works).

Current focus is on the fuel rails - they're not bad, but still very brown on the inside. Thinking of a few different methods to get them clean - perhaps start with a soak in hot soapy water to loosen them up a bit. Then a rinse, then I might hit them with some brake and parts cleaner, then rinse and compressed air to finish? Ideally, a thin, long bottle brush would be perfect to actually give them a good scrub - haven't had any luck finding anything as yet without ordering from overseas on ebay.

Following on from the rails - I also plan to clean the internal walls of the main fuel lines that run the length of the car. Will likely plumb up a temporary pump and circulate something (obviously impossible to scrub the inner walls). I'm reluctant to use white vinegar which I've used successfully to de-rust other parts - would rather just use a more generic cleaner.

Keen to hear any thoughts from others who may have tackled this before....
    engine oil gallery brush sets ...with LONG brushes are available from Bursons, decent speed shops like OUTLAW etc
    check this -
    https://outlawspeed.com.au/shop/mo61820
    Last edited by Smitty2; 02-12-2021 at 08:26 AM.

Never late in an AussieV8!
    Club circuit racing...the best fun you can have with your pants on

Those brush sets look excellent, literally exactly what I want - but not a fan of the price tag! I might try to make my own by gluing some scotchbrite around a skewer - a bit of high-tech backyard engineering?

I wonder if Coles/Woolies/2 dollar shops might have some super small bottle brushes.

Anyway, thanks for the heads-up on those engine brushes Smitty - very interesting.

Those brush sets look excellent, literally exactly what I want - but not a fan of the price tag! I might try to make my own by gluing some scotchbrite around a skewer - a bit of high-tech backyard engineering?

I wonder if Coles/Woolies/2 dollar shops might have some super small bottle brushes.

Anyway, thanks for the heads-up on those engine brushes Smitty - very interesting.
    I agree on those brush sets from Outlaw speed.
    They look great but arenít cheap.
    A mate bought a set a while ago and Iíve looked around and found no cheap alternatives unless you make your own.

Old straightened coat hanger. Cut off length you need, put a small 90* bend on one end using pliers, wrap a wad of scotchbrite around it and go for it with the cordless drill working up and down the length. Happy days.

I paid maybe $25- 30 bucks from Bursons about 10 years ago, still have the set (they really don't wear out)

mate got some from Outlaw about a year ago, can't remember what he paid but thats how
    I knew they did them

I paid maybe $25- 30 bucks from Bursons about 10 years ago, still have the set (they really don't wear out)

mate got some from Outlaw about a year ago, can't remember what he paid but thats how
    I knew they did them

These showed up the other day actually and look like they will be quite useful![IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211226/47797512a58c1bc5f13226c9de9b651e.jpg[/IMG][IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211226/c7af9bd84ed5e40914f4546040a43334.jpg[/IMG]

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

casual poster

Just a suggestion, rifle cleaning bore brushes may do the trick.

I used a gun cleaning brushes I got off ebay which has extension
    Went through from front to back on holden 304 block
    $20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information