Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 30 of 30
  1. #16
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Mt Martha
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Yes will go HR
    Looking at crane 888231 or 888241
    Will look at manifold latter
    Thinking to put 90-100 elbow grafted on front of banana similar to Starr type as like the stock look


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #17
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Mt Martha
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Hydraulic roller camshaft ID
    Was out looking for a manifold when can across hydraulic roller which was set up in 355 VT stroker block, so couldn’t help myself as I was there, so purchased it
    Looking if anyone has any idea
    It looks like it’s steel billet
    I checked the lobe lift prior to handing over $ and it’s 0.305”
    X 1.6” = 0.488”
    X 1.65”= 0.503”
    Base circle is 0.983” ( my hyd flat tappet base circle is 1.10” ( 27.97mm)
    Has some marketing’s and numbers on back of camshaft
    3314
    220650
    And on front looks to be 111.4? But difficult to read
    Hopefully it slides in cam tunnel
    Maybe able to use to get ground although looks to be in good nick

    I can take it to Clive cams to check specs but first thought someone may recognise the numbers




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #18
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Mt Martha
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bjf66 View Post
    Hydraulic roller camshaft ID
    Was out looking for a manifold when can across hydraulic roller which was set up in 355 VT stroker block, so couldn’t help myself as I was there, so purchased it
    Looking if anyone has any idea
    It looks like it’s steel billet
    I checked the lobe lift prior to handing over $ and it’s 0.305”
    X 1.6” = 0.488”
    X 1.65”= 0.503”
    Base circle is 0.983” ( my hyd flat tappet base circle is 1.10” ( 27.97mm)
    Has some marketing’s and numbers on back of camshaft
    3314
    220650
    And on front looks to be 111.4? But difficult to read
    Hopefully it slides in cam tunnel
    Maybe able to use to get ground although looks to be in good nick

    I can take it to Clive cams to check specs but first thought someone may recognise the numbers




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    [IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211113/1196917b55a128ebddd2670c2f5f9e02.jpg[/IMG]
    Pic 1


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #19
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Mt Martha
    Posts
    24

    Default

    [IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211113/d191bb19cc936a3c84e50c673d2dcb39.jpg[/IMG]
    Pic 2


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #20
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Mt Martha
    Posts
    24

    Default

    [IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211113/aea0d852312851c01344c4c29e2bf074.jpg[/IMG]
    Pic 3


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #21
    Do you ever leave?
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Sometimes Melbourne
    Posts
    2,757

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bjf66 View Post
    HQ 368
    thanks, so crane 888181 is solid roller, 112 LS
    are you running 1.6 or 1.65" rockers
    242/252 duration @ 0.050", 0.579/0.598" @ 1.6"
    have you done many km street driving ?
    1.65 rockers, did quite a bit of street duties now just sitting in a test car to be flogged every now and again.
    It really is just a baby, the lobe ramp rate is not that high.

  7. #22
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Mt Martha
    Posts
    24

    Default

    was hoping someone may recognize the numbers or who made cam
    I was wanting to go a 0.540"-0.560"
    maybe able to be used for regrind

  8. #23
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Mt Martha
    Posts
    24

    Default

    No cam card
    However looks to have intake centreline 107 and exhaust 105 degrees
    Will have to get the cam spec


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #24
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Mt Martha
    Posts
    24

    Default

    clive cams cam doctor car advises its reground cam from wade cams
    112 LS
    Duration @ 0.050": 220/220
    lobe lift: 0.308"
    Valve lift @ 1.65": 0.508"
    clive cams recommendation was virtually a copy of this cam
    so will give this a go

    picked up ICE stall convertor 2500-2700 rpm should work with 3.7 gears

  10. #25
    Part of the furniture 46Crab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    866

    Default

    Firstly apologies for my late reply.

    So let’s look at what you have in basic terms:
    - fresh 5 litre with 10 to 1 compression
    - VN heads that you are prepared to modify for double springs to suit a Hydro Roller Cam
    - bunch o bananas manifold (that limits things heaps)
    - T700 auto (converter to suit cam to follow)
    - 3.7 gears in a VN Commodore.

    My short answer is one of these cams below.
    The Crane grinds are milder than the two Marshal cams I listed.
    I personally like John's grinds and will be using one of his Hydro Roller cams for a 355 I'm building with early cast iron heads:
    Crane 888241 226/230 .552/563" 110LSA
    Crane 888251 230/234 .563/574" 110LSA
    John Marshal CHRHE822832 228/232 .585/585 108LSA
    John Marshal CHRHE823238 232/236 .587/587 108LSA

    My long answer and reason why are this:
    Firstly if you ask the question on cam choice you likely to get multiple answers as everyone has their own opinion on what they like or their mate has or their mates mate best mate etc. or what they think is a 'street and wife friendly' car based on pers experience, choice etc.
    I still reckon for a 'real street car' that you want to drive a bit that you are better off going for a bit smaller cam than a bigger one unless you can really live with it and the associated mods required to support a big cam.
    There are many people out there on the FB pages that all swear by the Crane 286 hydraulic flat tappet cam for their 304 or 355 stroker. Personally I think it is a poor cam choice for a VN headed engine, but I've seen a few VN headed 355's make 410-420hp at the crank with this cam.
    But for the purpose of my example, the 286 cam has 230/230 duration @ .050, approx .500' lift and 110 LSA. If you had a similar spec duration @ .050 Hydro Roller cam it would have a LOT more meat under the curve purely by design of being a roller cam than the flat tappet and probably have approx .100' more lift.
    So where am I going with all this... you have a 5 litre engine that will need to rev to make some power and will need a good convertor to keep the engine in its happy place.
    If you change that inlet manifold later your 5 litre will thank you for it and allow it to breath better and make some power.
    Anyway, that’s just my thoughts.

  11. #26
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Mt Martha
    Posts
    24

    Default

    46crab,
    appreciate the time taken to reply, yes get you point about FB, this is why I stayed away from it for a long time
    I already have twin throttle forward facing efi manifold, which has twin 70mm T/B, #775 injectors, the chap who fabricated seem to make nice job in bell mouths
    However havent really look at it in details until get the short block sorted

    Hadn't heard about Marshall custom cams.

    looking to resize conrods, and thought i would measure them up in weekend, however bolts need upgrading, with pressed on pistons, change bolts, resize, probably not far off upgrading to scat I-beams, with pressed pins, floating would be nice, need new pistons, then balance
    Then of being thinking if we do this the added cost of come crank can get you those extra cubes, and have the small lift roller working for you better without rev it out
    Have picked up 2500 stall convertor
    so still considering stroker crank,
    comparing 304 Vs 348 ci with same 112LS 220/220, 0.508/0.508 HR cam there is a reasonable difference
    not sure how accurate the software is, however dont think you can get this gain from increase compression, and high lift cam, and up rpm
    Need certain amount of vacuum on street with eficlive cams comparison 348 Vs 304.pdf

  12. #27
    Part of the furniture 46Crab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bjf66 View Post
    46crab,
    appreciate the time taken to reply, yes get you point about FB, this is why I stayed away from it for a long time
    I already have twin throttle forward facing efi manifold, which has twin 70mm T/B, #775 injectors, the chap who fabricated seem to make nice job in bell mouths
    However havent really look at it in details until get the short block sorted

    Hadn't heard about Marshall custom cams.

    looking to resize conrods, and thought i would measure them up in weekend, however bolts need upgrading, with pressed on pistons, change bolts, resize, probably not far off upgrading to scat I-beams, with pressed pins, floating would be nice, need new pistons, then balance
    Then of being thinking if we do this the added cost of come crank can get you those extra cubes, and have the small lift roller working for you better without rev it out
    Have picked up 2500 stall convertor
    so still considering stroker crank,
    comparing 304 Vs 348 ci with same 112LS 220/220, 0.508/0.508 HR cam there is a reasonable difference
    not sure how accurate the software is, however dont think you can get this gain from increase compression, and high lift cam, and up rpm
    Need certain amount of vacuum on street with eficlive cams comparison 348 Vs 304.pdf
    Have you already stripped this 304 short engine?
    Before you get to carried pulling everything apart, I suggest you price up and consider what you want to do to the engine and achieve from the car.
    Have a plan and go from there.
    For what it’s worth I’m not a big fan of single pattern cams for VN heads.
    Keep us posted on what you end up doing.

  13. #28
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Mt Martha
    Posts
    24

    Default

    engine stripped
    honed
    oil mod
    sump fab
    have small HR cam and 5290 lifters
    degree cam just to try out and see how the lifters would go
    no turning back now
    the car is street driven with a little power when you need it
    have flat tops
    polished 304 crank
    ACL H-bearings installed and mocked up TDC
    rods need upgrade, or bolts
    The heads valves checked out
    need to spend same $ open spring pockets, springs, rockers, pushrods, this is given regardless of staying with 304 or going stroker

    however your only on the planet once

    I spoke to John at Marshall cams this afternoon

    the way i look at it at present
    1. redo rods or replace with Scat, and then balance
    2. stay with existing cam or go larger for 304ci
    3. go 3.48 stroker

  14. #29
    Part of the furniture 46Crab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bjf66 View Post
    engine stripped
    honed
    oil mod
    sump fab
    have small HR cam and 5290 lifters
    degree cam just to try out and see how the lifters would go
    no turning back now
    the car is street driven with a little power when you need it
    have flat tops
    polished 304 crank
    ACL H-bearings installed and mocked up TDC
    rods need upgrade, or bolts
    The heads valves checked out
    need to spend same $ open spring pockets, springs, rockers, pushrods, this is given regardless of staying with 304 or going stroker

    however your only on the planet once

    I spoke to John at Marshall cams this afternoon

    the way i look at it at present
    1. redo rods or replace with Scat, and then balance
    2. stay with existing cam or go larger for 304ci
    3. go 3.48 stroker
    What cam did John recommend based on staying 304?
    Sounds like you have just about everything for a 304 build. If you have VN efi rods, get them resized with ARP bolts. Get the bottom end balanced and your heads sorted and bang it back together and send it.

  15. #30
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Mt Martha
    Posts
    24

    Default

    He is going to send us cam card on Monday as was disturbing his beer time on Friday
    Yes nearly there with 304 but started questioning whether I should now jump to stroker
    However let’s see what he comes back with


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Hydraulic Roller Cam selection
    By LH8VD69 in forum Holden V8's
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 29-04-2019, 02:56 AM
  2. 383 roller cam selection opinions
    By luke84 in forum Holden V8's
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 04-11-2013, 11:48 AM
  3. 355 roller cam selection ideas,,
    By DICE AUTO in forum Holden V8's
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 16-09-2011, 09:58 AM
  4. 355 Roller Cam Selection Headaches
    By Ecofriendly in forum Holden V8's
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 17-01-2011, 05:49 PM
  5. How to: Valve Spring, Roller Rocker Selection
    By DFCTV CLUBBY in forum Holden V8's
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 23-02-2010, 04:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •