Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 216
  1. #1
    Senior Member BasicQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    768

    Default Are you doing any car projects because of covid and lockdowns?

    Not much activity here lately so I thought I would try and rub the paddles together and yell “clear”.

    The country is about fifteen months into this covid19 thing that has led to a lot of disruption to our lives, especially with the lockdowns. I have no doubt a lot of us have embarked on projects and mods to our cars that likely weren’t on the cards before this thing hit us with lockdowns and restrictions. I reckon Bunnings have never had it better with home projects springing up everywhere and the mail order aftermarket the same with guys like us.

    So this is for everyone to jump in and tell us in as much detail as you want about what you have been up to and how your getting your hands dirty now without having to start your own thread. I’m keenly interested to know if covid has been meant the birth of projects and activities that otherwise wouldn’t of happened during normal living.

    Post away!
    Last edited by BasicQ; 08-08-2021 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Change title

  2. #2
    Senior Member BasicQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    768

    Default

    I’ll start.

    If it wasn’t for covid and lockdowns I wouldn’t have seven Demon carbies out in the Garage at the moment and rebuilt and sold another 5. I can’t see myself doing that under normal conditions as I would be too busy out driving and focusing on what I had but lockdowns give you time to play. I’m rebuilding two 750s Mighty Demons at the moment and one 650 Race Demon, all for the heck of it. Also now dabbling in refinishing them with chromate conversion as one I bought was a bit run down. Didn’t quite work experimenting with black so giving the yellow/bronze a go now.

    I have also looked into other things I may not have if I were driving the ‘ol girl all the time instead of periods of not being able to. Things such as re-visiting the valve train on the Twisted Wedges. New collets, retainers and pushrods were installed for improved geometry. One of those things that was good enough for street duties but had to have closer attention with more strip duties on the horizon.

    Covid and lack of driving also gave me the inspiration to upgrade the converter. Always felt a bit hamstrung by what I thing was a 3000rpm converter. I don’t recall exactly what it was as it had been too long since I first whacked it in, back in the days the Monaro was sporting a 350 sbc.

    There is more but I am keen to hear from others that have bigger and better stories than I do!

    A 650 and two 750 bodies, one the ill fated attempt at black chromate conversion.

    [img]https://i.ibb.co/YRk2dK2/C93-B938-C-CB47-41-C5-87-FD-EBC066448093.jpg[/img]
    Last edited by BasicQ; 07-08-2021 at 03:23 PM.

  3. #3
    Do you ever leave?
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Nth Qld
    Posts
    1,847

    Default

    hi

    Stock production is low and stock levels are low all over the world . Waiting 5mths for Summit order . No stock in Ozzy.
    Mainly the Milodon timing cover partly because covid and partly because Comp Group has purchased Edelbrock . Many parts including some Milodon are cast at Edelbrock . The new Comp Group has really f...ked up supply as they are shifting factories across the USA. Not all parts from other companies are being cast by Edelbrock anymore.

    Good chevy SB parts are getting harder to get . Plenty of chinese junk about.

    Some Quick Fuel parts are outta stock everywhere.
    Holley is cutting part numbers of QFuel carbs and parts .

    Many Edelbrock parts have along lead time according to small usa speed shops .

    Blasting and repainting ALL removable panels from the Qee , amazingly enough some primer colours are in short supply .

    Rare spares has hardly any stock as Ive had to back order stuff . Some of the rubber parts are junk ie moulded incorrectly LONG TERM PROBLEM at least 2-3yrs

  4. #4
    Senior Member BasicQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swampy View Post
    hi

    Stock production is low and stock levels are low all over the world . Waiting 5mths for Summit order . No stock in Ozzy.
    Mainly the Milodon timing cover partly because covid and partly because Comp Group has purchased Edelbrock . Many parts including some Milodon are cast at Edelbrock . The new Comp Group has really f...ked up supply as they are shifting factories across the USA. Not all parts from other companies are being cast by Edelbrock anymore.

    Good chevy SB parts are getting harder to get . Plenty of chinese junk about.

    Some Quick Fuel parts are outta stock everywhere.
    Holley is cutting part numbers of QFuel carbs and parts .

    Many Edelbrock parts have along lead time according to small usa speed shops .

    Blasting and repainting ALL removable panels, chassis from the Qee , amazingly enough some primer colours are in short supply .

    Rare spares has hardly any stock as Ive had to back order stuff . Some of the rubber parts are junk ie moulded incorrectly LONG TERM PROBLEM at least 2-3yrs
    I hear ya loud and clear with all the above. I work at a radiator manufacturer and there was a time when we had trouble getting paint because the manufacturers world wide of the raw products had dwindled and those still operating couldn’t keep up.

    Have you done anything more than you thought you would on the Stato because of more time home and less out and about. Or put another way less reasons to get it finished and get out cruising?

    (I’ve changed the title to encourage more to discuss their projects as well as obstacles created by covid. Maybe Smitty2 can fix the headline?)

  5. #5
    Senior Member BasicQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    768

    Default How has covid had an impact on your car projects?

    I should also add I am the owner of an ultrasonic cleaner and small blasting kit for bead/sand/soda blasting. Wouldn't have them if not for breaking lockdown boredom.

    Anyone else bought tools and/or equipment to stave off lockdown boredom?

    Sent from my SM-A205YN using A hammer and chisel
    Last edited by BasicQ; 07-08-2021 at 09:18 PM.

  6. #6
    been here .......too long Smitty2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    bayside Melbourne
    Posts
    10,044

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BasicQ View Post
    I.......................

    (I’ve changed the title to encourage more to discuss their projects as well as obstacles created by covid. Maybe Smitty2 can fix the headline?)

    headline...?
    did fix double posts though
    __________________________________
    ONE OF THE Aussie V8 MODERATOR/ADMIN TEAM

    Never late in an AussieV8!
    Club circuit racing...the best fun you can have with your pants on

  7. #7
    Senior Member BasicQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty2 View Post
    headline...?
    did fix double posts though
    ‘Thread title’ would be more appropriate.

    Where the crap did I get headline from? iso madness.
    Last edited by BasicQ; 07-08-2021 at 08:05 PM.

  8. #8
    Do you ever leave?
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Nth Qld
    Posts
    1,847

    Default

    hi
    That was meant to mean production levels lowered because covid which is now caused shortages at a retail level .

    Have a small blast gun and use very fine glass with it . Good enough for small parts suspension arms and similar . Larger stuff I use a powder coater either for blast only and or blast and coat .
    Using industrial epoxy on the inner guards /rad support/chassis

    All steering tie rods /box /idler/stub axles all been blasted / painted
    All front rear suspension arms blast repaint
    All new suspension bushes F/ R
    F,R shocks new
    vac booster painted
    str column bottom foam bush
    Paint front springs

    All new brakes line ,master o/hauled and upgraded calipers + braid hoses

    New boot carpet and lining but not installed . Mice got into boot and had an orgy !!

    Rechrome front bars ,grille, o/riders
    Repaint or powder coat all bumper brackets

    Installed 9 inch with disc ,, reworked a huge amount , beargs / plates /housing and warranty on 1x axle ,, then powder coat gloss, was garbage then repainted gloss black ==far far better
    powder coat hand brake brackets

    Look back into wipers not parking fixed

    Assemble front sheet metal in the next 2-3wks

    Jobs to do ....alot
    Finish motor
    More upgrades to trans
    Refresh Air con

    Tools had B4 small blast gun remember u need large compressor such as 17 cfm 300ltr FAD
    Trans jack Ebay 340$ ,recent purchase , pretty good for doing trans and diff use ratchet straps
    Cheap pry bars from Super cheap on sale . Larger one is good for suspension work
    Shot mallet larger one from Super cheap onsale [still had disassemble suspension with steel hammer, but useful in other areas ]
    Windscreen /panel stand from Super cheap on sale good for steering column

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    775

    Default

    I am just finishing off a 600 hp, 440 Chrysler engine. Started at the end of Jan. Owner has been reeeeeeeally lucky on two fronts: [1] able to get all the parts from the US, with only a couple of things on back order. [2] The dollar was around 78/79cents when the ordering was done, now dropped quite a bit.

    I really miss not being able to drive my GTO.....

  10. #10
    Senior Member BasicQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swampy View Post
    hi
    That was meant to mean production levels lowered because covid which is now caused shortages at a retail level .

    Have a small blast gun and use very fine glass with it . Good enough for small parts suspension arms and similar . Larger stuff I use a powder coater either for blast only and or blast and coat .
    Using industrial epoxy on the inner guards /rad support/chassis

    All steering tie rods /box /idler/stub axles all been blasted / painted
    All front rear suspension arms blast repaint
    All new suspension bushes F/ R
    F,R shocks new
    vac booster painted
    str column bottom foam bush
    Paint front springs

    All new brakes line ,master o/hauled and upgraded calipers + braid hoses

    New boot carpet and lining but not installed . Mice got into boot and had an orgy !!

    Rechrome front bars ,grille, o/riders
    Repaint or powder coat all bumper brackets

    Installed 9 inch with disc ,, reworked a huge amount , beargs / plates /housing and warranty on 1x axle ,, then powder coat gloss, was garbage then repainted gloss black ==far far better
    powder coat hand brake brackets

    Look back into wipers not parking fixed

    Assemble front sheet metal in the next 2-3wks

    Jobs to do ....alot
    Finish motor
    More upgrades to trans
    Refresh Air con

    Tools had B4 small blast gun remember u need large compressor such as 17 cfm 300ltr FAD
    Trans jack Ebay 340$ ,recent purchase , pretty good for doing trans and diff use ratchet straps
    Cheap pry bars from Super cheap on sale . Larger one is good for suspension work
    Shot mallet larger one from Super cheap onsale [still had disassemble suspension with steel hammer, but useful in other areas ]
    Windscreen /panel stand from Super cheap on sale good for steering column
    Been busy swampy and coming along nicely by the sounds of it.

    Although you have left me with the image of mice with Freddie Mercury style mustache and shirts unbuttoned to the navel with big gold necklaces!


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Do you ever leave?
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Nth Qld
    Posts
    1,847

    Default

    hi
    Some of the work started 2-3 yr ago but I picked up the pace since Christmas just passed.

    The mice fiasco was a fair while ago bloody absolutely destroyed the boot carpet and the smell .

    Got my wheels and tyres + radiator ,more shiny bits !!!! Doh ...aggggh LOL ,,,, great for motivation

    1st set headers poor quality ,,, 2nd set headers might be ok we will see the collectors are offset ,makes me curious
    Last edited by swampy; 07-08-2021 at 08:39 PM.

  12. #12
    Senior Member BasicQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    768

    Default How has covid had an impact on your car projects?

    Quote Originally Posted by GtoGeoff View Post
    I am just finishing off a 600 hp, 440 Chrysler engine. Started at the end of Jan. Owner has been reeeeeeeally lucky on two fronts: [1] able to get all the parts from the US, with only a couple of things on back order. [2] The dollar was around 78/79cents when the ordering was done, now dropped quite a bit.

    I really miss not being able to drive my GTO.....
    Freakin’ awesome Geoff. Tough old school American muscle lives! That would have kept the internal and external grey matter on the ‘ol noggin ticking over.

    Looks like we’re getting 74c at the moment. I am poised to place a Summit order.

    I hear ya about not being able to drive. I was all revved up (pardon the pun) to go to a car meet tomorrow that’s now cancelled! Argh!

    I reckon there are more guys out there about to chime in on a freshen up or cam change or diff upgrade or wheel nut polish that wouldn’t have happened without covid keeping us home.


    Sent from my iPad using Crazytalk
    Last edited by BasicQ; 07-08-2021 at 09:17 PM.

  13. #13
    Senior Member BasicQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    768

    Default How has covid had an impact on your car projects?

    Quote Originally Posted by swampy View Post
    hi
    Some of the work started 2-3 yr ago but I picked up the pace since Christmas just passed.

    The mice fiasco was a fair while ago bloody absolutely destroyed the boot carpet and the smell .

    Got my wheels and tyres + radiator ,more shiny bits !!!! Doh ...aggggh LOL ,,,, great for motivation

    1st set headers poor quality ,,, 2nd set headers might be ok we will see the collectors are offset ,makes me curious
    Fiasco! Sounds like this could be a saucy Netflix drama.

    So you got your rad sorted?

    Good times.

    Itchin’ to see some progress pics.


    Sent from my iPad using Meth
    Last edited by BasicQ; 07-08-2021 at 09:17 PM.

  14. #14
    Do you ever leave?
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Nth Qld
    Posts
    1,847

    Default

    hi
    Yea radiator designed and made featuring 2x 1 1/4 tubes , modern Nissan matrix auto cooler /drain /2 fan sender holes / double mounting flange for oversize fans / squat fabricated tanks / custom width/height.
    Its very close to some USA models ,within 1/4 inch First design is smaller than a Holden natrad radiator !! lol..

    NB with aircon condenser in a Qee not alotta room for aux trans cooler.

  15. #15
    Senior Member BasicQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    768

    Default

    Smitty2, could you please change thread title to Are you doing any car projects because of covid and lockdowns?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. do you want too see pics of projects
    By tim86x in forum Members Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-07-2013, 08:13 AM
  2. hi all here are my projects
    By swampy049 in forum Welcome posts
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 28-07-2011, 02:27 PM
  3. looking for van projects
    By DreamStalker in forum Members Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 27-02-2011, 10:33 PM
  4. Custom Gauges for projects........
    By Designs5150 in forum Conversions, Rebuilds & Project Cars
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 10-10-2010, 09:20 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •