Default Performance Head Gasket recommendation?

Hi Guys,
    Just wondering for some advice on getting some decent head gaskets for a mild 308.
    currently running ACL race series which had blown out into pushrod / inlet manifold area and compressed sump. (No 2 piston)
    Can anyone recommend where to ge ACL race series gaskets in SA?

The Felpro blue are as good as anything for mild engines. If you step up to a more expensive MLS gasket you generally have to spend extra on surface machining to finer tolerances, without this they will be worse than the cheaper style. Factory head bolts are OK but getting pretty old now so worth replacing if you're still using them.

been here .......too long Smitty2's Avatar

I used the old style factory STEEL on one of my race engines (ups the comp a bit as they are so thin but machining of surfaces has to be good)
    and
    on the engine currently in the race car.. the ultimate composite gasket! the best Holden composite?
    not genuine Holden (still available and really good) not FELPRO, not ACL race but PERKINS RACE

yup.. same gaskets Larry used on his race engines.
    cost me $300 a set from PERKINS Engineering

Never late in an AussieV8!
    Club circuit racing...the best fun you can have with your pants on

Iíd be trying to work out why the engine blew a head gasket first. Too much timing? Poor fuel? Poor tune and rattled the engine? Manual car?
    Iíve run cheaper Durapro graphite style head gaskets on up to 10.5 Comp with no issues providing the Ďtuneí is right. My current 355 with 10.8 compression runs a Felpro 1076 head gasket with no issues.
    MLS need good surfaces to seal and if your tune is out when pushing hard there will be no head gasket to blow, it will damage something else internally.

casual poster

felpro blue is the go

Another vote for Felpro blue

Iíve only ever used the Felpro blue head gaskets on early headed Holden V8ís.
    I had no issues with them but I havenít used them on VN headed Holden V8ís.

Thanks for the advice,PB .........great initials........ (Peter Brock!!)
    I'm leaning towards the Durapro performance Head gaskets for around $105
    have you had any experience with them?
    My engine is a red 308 with crane roller cam and VN heads, Street Terra roller rockers, Harrop duel plane inlet manifold, Powerbond harmonic balancer, Holley Double pumper carby(not sure of size)
    and Di Fillips extractors / collectors....... anyway the possible reason for the gasket blowing (after talking with the workshop who built the engine), is detonation?? I know in warm weather the car would run on and I'll get the car dyno tuned after getting it back together. Not sure how far advanced the timing is at or what would you recommend ?
    Cheers

Do you ever leave?

Rattling it hard is certain death for head gaskets. All good advice above. I would choose a composite gasket, and check the block and heads for "flat"

Quote Originally Posted by MR HDT View Post
    My engine is a red 308 with crane roller cam and VN heads, Street Terra roller rockers, Harrop duel plane inlet manifold, Powerbond harmonic balancer, Holley Double pumper carby(not sure of size)
    and Di Fillips extractors / collectors....... anyway the possible reason for the gasket blowing (after talking with the workshop who built the engine), is detonation?? I know in warm weather the car would run on and I'll get the car dyno tuned after getting it back together. Not sure how far advanced the timing is at or what would you recommend ?
    Cheers
    Mine is a similar combo, red 308 with mildly ported VN's (10.2 comp), a SFT (244/248 @ .050", .569"/.579" lift, 106lc) Yella Terra rockers, Edelbrock dual plane, difillipo headers and a 750 DP holley. I've had Felpro blues on it for 5 years with no issues. My pistons are .016" down the bore and as a result it seems happiest with around 31-32 degrees total timing. With zero deck most people seem to like around 28 total.

casual poster

Quote Originally Posted by MR HDT View Post
    Cheers
    Felpro blues are far superior to the durapro style

The ol steel shim imo are very hard to beat have reused them around 6 times now.

Meh standard as come from holden factory surface finish with a bit of 3m 3bond or hylomar makes sure.
    It was holding 16psi boost on stock vp bottom (with 280+k km) end other then bearings with hq heads etc

Thread Information