Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery choices

Do you ever leave?

Default Battery choices

hi
    never had much luck with wet flooded [normal batteries] .Always degrade over time from not enough usage ,generally around 2yr mark . Besides Mongoose alarm is a battery killer ,might take it out ?? And charging flooded batteries with bonnet down is a no go ,re fumes and eaten paint .

So the choices are AGM [absorbed glass matt] --no fumes

Cheapest 3 yr warranty SSB dry cel ultra high performance HVT-50D 260$
    Optima yellow or red top either 34 or 34/78 side post 300-400$ Red seems cheaper
    Odyssey 34 0r 34/78 PC1500 500$ and up

Are these prices good or just ripoff internet deals ??

Any others ???

My Optima red battery shorted out going down a hill. Engine died, no brakes, no p/steering. I was really lucky I didn't crash. Less than 2 yrs old, under warranty. Bastards would not replace it, even when I said I wanted an 'ordinary' battery for half the price of the Optima. Took them to court & got the money.
    Have a look on the net for Optima failures....

Do you ever leave?

hi
    Its why I preferably donot want to buy from the net . Claiming from an interstate vendor is never gunna happen is it . Basically batteries are just to dam unreliable ..

Anyways choices ?? I think the Odyssey is out its just a supa costly Optima . And where paying over the top for Optima .Remember there only AGM batteries !!!

Do you ever leave?

I bought a Bosch a couple of years ago. About $250. Has been good. I think it's still a lead/acid but it's all sealed up I think? Don't actually know who makes them but it wont be Bosch, there name seems to be well used these days. I even bought Bosch windscreen washer fluid, which is also good!

Whatever battery you get, a trickle charger is the key to getting long life out of it. I bought a Bosch battery (lead acid) for mine in 2008 and it was still going strong when I rebuilt the motor in 2016, I replaced it with a Century (lead acid) so I had a fresh battery for the new set up and that's still going strong 5 years later. If it's parked for more than a day or so it's on the trickle charger.

Do you ever leave?

Hi
    YUP the buggered Mongoose alarm fried the SSB HVT 50D over discharged it . Going to remove it.
    AGM sure are great for stored vehicles , time between charges can be over8 weeks compared to flooded /wet /lead acid every 3-4 weeks or so .

If the car isn't used much either disconnect the battery when not in use or use some sort of battery maintainer. If gassing is a worry pop the bonnet and prop it it up a bit.

No battery is going to maintain a charge over a long period if there is even a small parasitic drain. After market alarm systems are notorious for this kind of problem, Hell, I had trouble maintaining battery voltage on my old VN that was only used 3 times a week for work (short trip) and an extended 8 day period every 4 weeks where it wasn't used at all and the alarm would pull the voltage down. I started taking it for about an hours drive every couple of weeks just to heat everything up and let the battery charge fully.

Now I ride a bike to work....

been here .......too long Smitty2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by immortality View Post

Now I ride a bike to work....
    no batteries on a pushie

Never late in an AussieV8!
    Club circuit racing...the best fun you can have with your pants on

Sadly there is, for the lights so I don't get killed on the way to work.

Do you ever leave?

hi
    Well at 290$ not cheap but local [think warranty return ] but 3 year warranty .
    Spoke to Mongoose and there are some work arounds to protect main battery . Send in unit for refresh with 2 x control modules ,hand pieces and fit new siren . Its amazing how much knowledge they have of a 25 yo product . !! Considering keeping if it canbe made to work reliably.

Do you ever leave?

Supercharge Batteries, super impressed by them.
    I have a gold plus one in my daily and has done 7 years and 200000+ km's in that time.
    Runs the fridge and inverter for all my cordless charging needs.
    36 or 42 month warranty and made here.

Nobody I know that uses one says a bad thing about them.

https://www.supercharge.com.au/4wd-battery/

Worth considering marine batteries too. Supercharge has them. Donít want a battery to fail you at sea so they are more robust.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you ever leave?

hi
    yes Superstart have a premium range but that is similar to most brands these days . The premium comes at a cost but gives better reliability with longer warranty . Wet flooded very suitable for a daily driver also because of the regular top up charging .
    For a stored car an AGM style is best because of its charge retention, easily double a flooded wet battery . In an abusive [lack of ] charging environment [now cured ] an AGm will outlast a wet flooded easily .

I maintain a camper Ritar AGM with solar 200w [charge rate 10-14amps] being doing so for years .
    Also my ute, cheapy lead acid N70Z with another solar 200w ,only 18months. Sits around alot .

If I were to go back contracting a 100w solar would be on my ute to keep the aux battery charged . Oh yea its cheaper and more reliable to mount the batt in the back .
    Last edited by swampy; 02-07-2021 at 09:57 PM.

After my Optima issue [ post #2 ], I have been using Supercharge batteries. Reasonable price. So far so good. I like the magic eye that tells you the battery condition.

Part of the furniture

I got a couple Optima's . One is 10 yrs now . Love them

Thread Information