Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    casual poster

Default Oil change and holden 308

Hi all
    I changed the oil on my recent rebuild motor. This is the first change of oil after rebuild and 1000kms.
    After the oil change I cannot get any oil pressure. Prior to oil change I had good oil pressure.
    I'm at the point of pulling the pump and stuffing vaseline in there.
    Surely this cannot be something to do at each oil change.
    I have run the motor at idle and light rev to get pressure but no luck.

What are you guys doing to change oil and ensure quick oil pressure.
    Please help me guy.
    Initial oil was straight sae40. Now using 20w50.

Common problem that usually happens, when blokes drain the oil and then go throw a leg over or disappear down the pub for a few hours, or maybe both.
    This gives the oil in the pump and pick-up time to drain also, (bad) as you have just lost your prime.

You did fill the filter before installation, yes?

Remove oil pump and cover plate, and put vaseline in between pump gears, (no need to completely fill cavity) and re-install. Good luck!

Have you put the same viscosity in?? I built my engine with extra clearances and had a similar issue. Put too thin an oil in as I did a deal with a mate in a bulk drum. Once I realised is was the wrong viscosity and showed low oil pressure at idle, went to HPR30 and straight up to 50psi idle...

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by UNLEASHED; 28-06-2021 at 09:59 AM.

casual poster

Disconnect coil, remove oil pressure switch/sender, suck oil through sender hole with vacuum and clear hose while turning engine with starter motor. Once you see flow in hose, reconnect coil and fire it up.

I have never had this problem and my theory is similar to what EH179 is saying.
    Due to the size of my plastic oil bucket I always drain the sump first, can even let it drain over night. Then I put the sump plug back in and proceed to change the oil filter.
    I think with the sump plug out and draining oil and also having the oil filter off its syphoning the oil pump and pick up tube.

casual poster

Quote Originally Posted by EH179 View Post
    Common problem that usually happens, when blokes drain the oil and then go throw a leg over or disappear down the pub for a few hours, or maybe both.
    This gives the oil in the pump and pick-up time to drain also, (bad) as you have just lost your prime.

You did fill the filter before installation, yes?

Remove oil pump and cover plate, and put vaseline in between pump gears, (no need to completely fill cavity) and re-install. Good luck!
    Procedure followed, once motor was warm and oil pressure confirmed good, I drained the sump, the sump plug was out for probably 30 minutes as oil kept trickling out. Then reinstalled sump plug and removed filter. filled filter with new oil an installed. Then filled sump.
    Started and no oil pressure.

As mentioned before initial oil used after rebuild was SAE40 to run in the motor. I am now using 20w50 which I think is the correct oil.

When motor was rebuilt I did pack the pump with vaseline and had instant pressure.

casual poster

Quote Originally Posted by UNLEASHED View Post
    Have you put the same viscosity in?? I built my engine with extra clearances and had a similar issue. Put too thin an oil in as I did a deal with a mate in a bulk drum. Once I realised is was the wrong viscosity and showed low oil pressure at idle, went to HPR30 and straight up to 50psi idle...

I believe that I am using the correct oil 20w50. My clearances will me small, motor rebored 30over and all new bearings

casual poster

Quote Originally Posted by COM081 View Post
    Disconnect coil, remove oil pressure switch/sender, suck oil through sender hole with vacuum and clear hose while turning engine with starter motor. Once you see flow in hose, reconnect coil and fire it up.
    That sounds like a good idea but I dont have a vacuum that I can suck oil with

casual poster

Quote Originally Posted by RLF View Post
    I have never had this problem and my theory is similar to what EH179 is saying.
    Due to the size of my plastic oil bucket I always drain the sump first, can even let it drain over night. Then I put the sump plug back in and proceed to change the oil filter.
    I think with the sump plug out and draining oil and also having the oil filter off its syphoning the oil pump and pick up tube.
    Yes will remove pump today and stuff vaseline in. Surely this cannot be the normal procedure for every oil change going forward. There has to be a less painful way to do this. I did not sleep last night as I am worried that I am ruining a newly built engine which was run with no oil pressure....
    Trying to find oil pressure I had it run for a minute on idle and on slight rev. switched off each time and waited a few minutes and rechecked oil levels and tried again, did this 3 times. tappets became very loud
    Last edited by kavesh; 28-06-2021 at 04:28 PM.

casual poster

Don't stress, it's a common 'problem' as stated above. Vasoline or vacuum will sort it out. Vacuum is easier almost guaranteed to work first go.

What about a drum pump and garden hose?

casual poster

Don't stress, it's a common 'problem' as stated above. Vasoline or vacuum will sort it out. Vacuum is easier almost guaranteed to work first go.

What is a drum pump, I am not familiar with this?

Last edited by UNLEASHED; 03-07-2021 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Waste of time.

Last edited by UNLEASHED; 03-07-2021 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Asked the question and gave the easiest remedy but went tje hard way. Cant help those type of people.

casual poster

Kavesh... drum pump... might not be correct name for it.... but a hand pump that you generally find on a drum of oil.... like this...

https://www.mhaproducts.com.au/20l-d...xoCU8wQAvD_BwE

Unleashed's suggestion is even easier. Force oil into pump, filter and pickup through sender hole.

Gravity feed might even do it. Litre of oil in plastic bottle, barb through lid, hose on barb.... squeeze?
    Last edited by Smitty2; 28-06-2021 at 06:42 PM.

been here .......too long Smitty2's Avatar

or one of these or similar off ebay... vac and hand pump

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/13356201...0AAOSwI~dfnRTk

I have a sim ilar metal bodied jobbie from McNaught
    exxie but works a treat to suck oil/fluids or pump oils

New engines always get the suck routine.. and instant oil pressure
    on start up( needed on holden V8s)
    Last edited by Smitty2; 28-06-2021 at 06:41 PM.

Never late in an AussieV8!
    Club circuit racing...the best fun you can have with your pants on

Thread Information