Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Do you ever leave?

hi
    HQ308
    Exactly what i was considering !
    To make it clear I`m assuming bulk head fitting installed then via the sender unit hole u then attached the flare nut with pick up pipe . Correct??
    How far away from the edge of the sender retainer ring is the bulkhead fitting assuming very very close .So u could access with spanners Correct ???
    Last edited by swampy; 31-05-2021 at 01:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by swampy View Post
    hi
    HQ308
    Exactly what i was considering !
    To make it clear I`m assuming bulk head fitting installed then via the sender unit hole u then attached the flare nut with pick up pipe . Correct??
    How far away from the edge of the sender retainer ring is the bulkhead fitting assuming very very close .So u could access with spanners Correct ???
    Yes that's how I did it but I don't think you'd get a spanner inside the tank. The bulkhead is right next to the sender hole and you can get your fingers in to hold it while you tighten the nut on the outside.

There's actually enough room to get 2 bulkheads there (one above the other) but the upper one is too close to the floor to get a fitting on it. A small "massage" with a hammer would get you enough room but I didn't want to do that.

Do you ever leave?

hi
    Hq 308
    I Misunderstood
    If u tighten the pickup on bulkhead fitting then insert thru sender hole ,leaves only outer nut to tighten . Doh !
    Why people cut a fuel pot into the rear tank floor amazes me .Why because of the corrosion it causes long term .
    If people need a fuel well either run external unit or Holley hydra mat . Or just keep the tank half full .LOL

Quote Originally Posted by hq308 View Post
    I haven't got any pics but on mine there is a flat section on the tank right next to where the sender goes in. I used a -8 bulkhead and attached a length of 1/2" alloy line to it and mounted it from inside the tank (bulkhead nut outside) and sealed it with stat-o-seals (aluminium washer with o-ring fixed in centre). The alloy tube is connected to the bulkhead with a flare and a tube nut. It's mounted into the lowest part of the flat section, which you can access the back of through the sender hole. I made an adapter for the pipe to take an EFI style screen. I have 3/8" feed and return lines under the car but I used the 1/2" in the tank to allow for any future upgrades. I'm just using the original 5/16" pick up as the return at the tank. 1/2 pick up to 3/8" line to reg, 3/8 line from reg connected to 5/16 pick up. The 5/16" pick up has enough flow for my Carter black pump as the pressure is rock steady at idle.
    No issues with sealing the bulkhead fitting using the stat-o-seals? I've got the same setup on mine, but haven't used it yet and want to make sure the bulkhead fitting is properly sealed while I can still easily take the tank out.
    Last edited by HJPrem75; 01-06-2021 at 02:29 PM.
    My HJ Premier rebuild https://www.facebook.com/HJPrem75

Do you ever leave?

Hq308

Did u try the nylon type washers first .?? No luck?
    I am aware of hydraulic Dowdy seals, rubber inside a metal washer ,the stato-seals must be similar .

Hey Swampy, I run 1/2 inch line but I've cheated and have the front corner cut out of my tank with pump and filter mounted in there. A fitting screws into the side of the tank with a solid pick up line welded to it that extends into the centre.

From there I run a combination of -8 braided and solid aluminium line tied to the original fuel line up to a dead head regular (Mallory) beside the carb and a 3/8 line to each carb bowl from there. I don't use a return line back to the tank.

Do you ever leave?

hi JaseQ314

Yup not much room anywhere on the underbody . Good idea to cut the corner of the tank or hole in the top located in the corner ??

Quote Originally Posted by HJPrem75 View Post
    No issues with sealing the bulkhead fitting using the stat-o-seals? I've got the same setup on mine, but haven't used it yet and want to make sure the bulkhead fitting is properly sealed while I can still easily take the tank out.
    Quote Originally Posted by swampy View Post
    Hq308

Did u try the nylon type washers first .?? No luck?
    I am aware of hydraulic Dowdy seals, rubber inside a metal washer ,the stato-seals must be similar .
    I originally did it with nylon washers and had issues with it leaking, the stat-o-seals have been on there for a couple of years with no issues. I have one on the inside and one on the outside, I tried the same thing with the nylon washers.

A stat-o-seal is an aluminium washer with an o-ring bonded to the ID.

I originally did it with nylon washers and had issues with it leaking, the stat-o-seals have been on there for a couple of years with no issues. I have one on the inside and one on the outside, I tried the same thing with the nylon washers.

A stat-o-seal is an aluminium washer with an o-ring bonded to the ID.
    Thanks hq308, I've currently got the nylon washers, I'll put some stat-o-seals in instead.

I haven't got any pics but on mine there is a flat section on the tank right next to where the sender goes in. I used a -8 bulkhead and attached a length of 1/2" alloy line to it and mounted it from inside the tank (bulkhead nut outside) and sealed it with stat-o-seals (aluminium washer with o-ring fixed in centre). The alloy tube is connected to the bulkhead with a flare and a tube nut. It's mounted into the lowest part of the flat section, which you can access the back of through the sender hole. I made an adapter for the pipe to take an EFI style screen. I have 3/8" feed and return lines under the car but I used the 1/2" in the tank to allow for any future upgrades. I'm just using the original 5/16" pick up as the return at the tank. 1/2 pick up to 3/8" line to reg, 3/8 line from reg connected to 5/16 pick up. The 5/16" pick up has enough flow for my Carter black pump as the pressure is rock steady at idle.
    Hi hq308, where did you mount the Carter pump?

I have used lots of the Carter pumps over the years, & tried different mounting places. The quietest place I found was behind the driver's side rear wheel. The wheel blocks the noise. This would not be feasible with some cars, but is on my GTO. A mate of mine running the same pump has it mounted behind the rear bumper & he also gets no noise in the cabin. Do not get the impression that these pumps are overly noisy, the Holley pumps & clones are noisier....

Hi hq308, where did you mount the Carter pump?
    It's mounted in front of the tank in line with the drivers side strap, not ideal but it's the only place that's close to the tank. In saying that I haven't had any issues with it, the motor is liquid cooled by fuel and has been way more reliable than the Holley pump I originally used.

It's mounted in front of the tank in line with the drivers side strap, not ideal but it's the only place that's close to the tank. In saying that I haven't had any issues with it, the motor is liquid cooled by fuel and has been way more reliable than the Holley pump I originally used.
    Thanks hq308. I've got mine installed just above the diff at the moment, but it's a bit high where it is and I'm wanting to see if there is a better spot.

Thanks hq308. I've got mine installed just above the diff at the moment, but it's a bit high where it is and I'm wanting to see if there is a better spot.
    Yeah mines slightly higher than the tank too but seems to work.

Thread Information