Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    casual poster

Default HPR Semi Synthetics.

Are semi synthetic oils HPR10 or 15 safe to use in early Holden V8's with higher valve spring pressure? They're not mineral like HPR30 but still show the 'Extra Zinc' thing....wanting to try a thinner oil.

been here .......too long Smitty2's Avatar

Penrite state -

So what are the different oils?
    Modern engine oils and lubricants are made up of BASE OIL plus additives.

The base oil type is generally broken up into 3 types -

1) Synthetic

2) Semi Synthetic

3) Mineral

Synthetic Base Oils

Synthetic Base oils are made of either laboratory formed or crude oil that has undergone severe hydro processing to the stage where its chemical compound has been modified. Synthetic oil can also be a mixture of Group III, IV & V Synthetic types of oils.

Semi Synthetic Base Oils

These are a mixture of Mineral and Synthetic base oils. The mixture can vary by product and manufacturer. These base oils can also be called “Synthetic Enhanced”, “Synthetic Fortified” or other marketing names that imply better performance than a mineral base oil but may not meet the accepted industry criteria of a semi synthetic base oil.

Mineral Base Oils

Mineral base oils are made from refined crude oil. There are many levels of refinement available from solvent cleaned through to severe hydrocracking. Mineral oils can also be a mixture of the different grades of mineral oil.

I have been looking at the HPR10 as a replacement for the equivalent 10-TENTHS oil 10W-40 competition oil I had been using
    ... basically there is little difference except the HPR10 has the 'extra' viscosity advantage (and its $25/5 litre pack cheaper)

Never late in an AussieV8!
    Club circuit racing...the best fun you can have with your pants on

casual poster

But is it the zinc early motors need??? or will a cheapo 15w-40 mineral do?? (like BigW or SCA special)....maybe with a break-in additive.
    Last edited by 71rocket; 17-05-2021 at 08:36 PM. Reason: extra info

Default HPR Semi Synthetics.

Some more from Penrite:

HPR 15 is a premium, full synthetic SAE 15W-60 engine oil. It features a DOUBLE LAYER of engine wear protection with FULL ZINC and Penrites advanced EXTRA TEN technology. It uses a combination of advanced additive technology and a low shear rate viscosity modifier, to ensure additional protection against wear, corrosion, oil oxidation, piston deposits and sludge under tough conditions.

HPR 15 is recommended for use in vehicles where SAE 15W-50 or 20W-50 engine oils were originally recommended by the manufacturer.

APPLICATION

HPR 15 is designed for use in modern 4, 6 & 8+ cylinder multi-cam, multi-valve (including VVT), naturally aspirated, supercharged & turbocharged engines. It is not suitable for use in Rotary engines. It is particularly suited for use under high load conditions such as towing and competition or where ambient temperatures are high.

And some more good reading:

They state all of their HPR range has more than enough zinc for older engines.

https://www.penriteoil.com.au/assets/tech_pdfs/1Zinc%20Myths%20&%20Legends%20Nov%202014.pdf
    Last edited by BasicQ; 17-05-2021 at 09:56 PM.

casual poster

Last edited by CircuitVK; 17-05-2021 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Double

casual poster

Have a look at

https://www.nulon.com.au/products/full-synthetic-engine-oils/full-synthetic-15w-50-street-and-track-high-performance-engine-oil

About $50 a bottle. It would be high zinc plus a good splash of moly. If you contact them they might send you a VOA. They have sent me one before for their racing oil. Nulon's oil seems to be very good these days. Fuchs just bought Nulon but they are keeping everything the same which is good news.

Do you ever leave?

Hi
    Don`t forget the POE, POA oils . True 100% manmade .Once considered the only synthetics .

Quote Originally Posted by BasicQ View Post
    Some more from Penrite:

HPR 15 is a premium, full synthetic SAE 15W-60 engine oil. It features a DOUBLE LAYER of engine wear protection with FULL ZINC and Penrites advanced EXTRA TEN technology. It uses a combination of advanced additive technology and a low shear rate viscosity modifier, to ensure additional protection against wear, corrosion, oil oxidation, piston deposits and sludge under tough conditions.

HPR 15 is recommended for use in vehicles where SAE 15W-50 or 20W-50 engine oils were originally recommended by the manufacturer.

APPLICATION

HPR 15 is designed for use in modern 4, 6 & 8+ cylinder multi-cam, multi-valve (including VVT), naturally aspirated, supercharged & turbocharged engines. It is not suitable for use in Rotary engines. It is particularly suited for use under high load conditions such as towing and competition or where ambient temperatures are high.

And some more good reading:

They state all of their HPR range has more than enough zinc for older engines.

https://www.penriteoil.com.au/assets/tech_pdfs/1Zinc%20Myths%20&%20Legends%20Nov%202014.pdf

same story with the HPR10... which caught my attention and led to me trying it (as I wanted a thinner oil than the 15W)

casual poster

Quote Originally Posted by swampy View Post
    Hi
    Don`t forget the POE, POA oils . True 100% manmade .Once considered the only synthetics .
    Yep, if you want to go that way the Nulon racing oil is word class but $100 for 5L. I use it actually but not in a Holden. Its like putting butter in the engine only way I can describe it lol. Solid oil pressure always.

Do you ever leave?

HI
    Caution ......Racing synthetics
    Exactly as it says racing not doing 5000-10,000 km per year
    WHY the *****additive packages *****always need to be checked for street application
    Some are very specific fuel type /short term usage etc etc
    Beaware some /most oil companies tell u anything ,some time there tech knowledge is very limited

Most ""fake"" synthetics [still include highly refined base stock] these days do a great job for a high performance street/strip car.

casual poster

Still unsure...In a stock 253 I run BigW 15w-40 or cheapest mineral I can find. Q.Why can it not be used in a high lift cam 308????

Do you ever leave?

Quote Originally Posted by CircuitVK View Post
    Yep, if you want to go that way the Nulon racing oil is word class but $100 for 5L. I use it actually but not in a Holden. Its like putting butter in the engine only way I can describe it lol. Solid oil pressure always.
    Won't use anything else, Nulon kills them and every sample comes back clean as.

Quote Originally Posted by 71rocket View Post
    Still unsure...In a stock 253 I run BigW 15w-40 or cheapest mineral I can find. Q.Why can it not be used in a high lift cam 308????
    It probably can, run it and see what happens.

you can... but be prepared for possible lobe losses

If you want to run a cheap oil use a cheap diesel oil, they usually have the type of additives a flat tappet cam needs to survive.

Thread Information