Do you ever leave?

Default Part no`s and maybe specs for stock coil springs

Hi
    Chasing specs andpart no`s for stock f/r coil springs HQ--HZ-Wb sedan or statesman v8
    Commonly after market are wound to stiff and with thicker wire across all brands of vehicle.
    Obvious when u do Jap ute front ends .Poor results are that u need to drive at speed thru a drain to get the coils to compress at all .LOL

Stock Specs
    eg how many winds
    diameter of wire
    free length

I don't know the stock specs but I wouldn't want stock rear springs in a HQ. The factory rear springs sagged quite badly from near new. When I was a kid my Dad owned what is now my HQ and I remember him going through a bunch of different springs trying to get it to sit at standard height. It was a long time ago but from memory he ended up settling on some Lovells springs.

Do you ever leave?

Hi
    Coils have a tendency to sag over a long time .This is accelerated when carrying loads ,hauling loads ,towing loads and or the car has seen alot of dirt road corrugations .
    However coils do last in a light duty environment . MY sedan only had 2 owners B4 me and I new the second .The suspension was stock original no sag springs etc ,the genuine shockies were absolutely wasted .

Later I put in Statesman f/r v8 springs into a sedan ,, rides well
    Yup for a short period 2-3yrs tried Lovells lowered f/r --never again ,,,driven smoother tractors LOL

I have seen a list over the years but cannot remember the specs . Some aftermarket companies might have them but getting them produced is quite another thing !!!

eg the aircon cars were heavier wound
    the v8 cars were heavier
    the stato LWB were heavier

Is yours a Q? Mine is a 74 and had rear spring issues from near new. Car was bought new by my grandfather.

Do you ever leave?

hi
    yup Hq Premier 25th Anniversary although its been white since day one [99% were silver ]
    .When I first overhauled the suspension was almost nothing wrong with it tie rod/ b--joint boots needed doing thats it plus the flogged out shocker bushes . In the day TRW parts were common and many Australian built. Some were reboxed for genuine usage as well . Did many parts replacement as I new quality parts were getting harder to find . Some were getting deleted and some replaced by Taiwain parts in a genuine box .Replacement genuine headlight switches were worse quality than an original wornout unit .

Did the pwr str upgrade the box was re-manufactured using metal spraying and many new hard parts in oz by TRW.

The front/ rear springs were fine when removed.

I find the history an enjoyable part of ownership

Thread Information