Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Is a stock V's modified oil pan test possible? It may be too much of a PITA to swap them over.

casual poster

Quote Originally Posted by JaseQ314 View Post
    Is a stock V's modified oil pan test possible? It may be too much of a PITA to swap them over.
    shouldnt be too hard with a one piece gasket

casual poster

Quote Originally Posted by JaseQ314 View Post
    you talking HQ style?

Quote Originally Posted by paul boz View Post
    you talking HQ style?
    HQ or Commodore fitment, whatever is easily achievable for yourself assuming you have access to the pans.

I'm interested to see the difference between a stock pan and a well designed one with oil control if it's something you can and are prepared to do, thanks.

casual poster

Hi Paul,
    I would like to see a back to back test of holden 1.65 roller rockers verses LS1 rockers that I have seen people used. It involves a bit of work but not a lot.

Default Holden tests on my superflow dyno, what tests would you like to see?

Ignition.

High dollar wizz bang cdi (if you have already) v inductive ready to run & quality coil. HP diff and variance in torque curve.

And if you have them any gains from low ohm (40 etc) plug leads v medium ohm (couple of hundred) on each ignition system.

I would also be interested in an aspect of carburetion. Holley Ultra HP/XP emulsion of .029”, .029”, .029” block, .029” v old school Holley in 5 hole emulsion speak of .028”, block, .028”, block, block. Test would be peak hp difference at WOT tuned to same, or as close as attainable AFR ratio whatever that may be. The alternate to that test would be is max WOT hp for both emulsion set ups a different AFR ratio? Also resultant torque curve through the range when peak hp is found. Results of that test would be dissected as to what jets, bleeds etc were needed to achieve results for each emulsion set up.
    Last edited by BasicQ; 08-05-2021 at 01:16 PM.

casual poster

Quote Originally Posted by AED View Post
    Hi Paul,
    I would like to see a back to back test of holden 1.65 roller rockers verses LS1 rockers that I have seen people used. It involves a bit of work but not a lot.
    yeah great idea Rod, im very interested in that type of stuff

casual poster

Quote Originally Posted by BasicQ View Post
    Ignition.

High dollar wizz bang cdi (if you have already) v inductive ready to run & quality coil. HP diff and variance in torque curve.

And if you have them any gains from low ohm (40 etc) plug leads v medium ohm (couple of hundred) on each ignition system.

I would also be interested in an aspect of carburetion. Holley Ultra HP/XP emulsion of .029”, .029”, .029” block, .029” v old school Holley in 5 hole emulsion speak of .028”, block, .028”, block, block. Test would be peak hp difference at WOT tuned to same, or as close as attainable AFR ratio whatever that may be. The alternate to that test would be is max WOT hp for both emulsion set ups a different AFR ratio? Also resultant torque curve through the range when peak hp is found. Results of that test would be dissected as to what jets, bleeds etc were needed to achieve results for each emulsion set up.
    yes for sure some interesting factors there that would make for good testing

casual poster

this is great i knew you guys would be right into this, keep it coming

casual poster

what about stepped headers? i have always wanted to try this

in the shed buildin shit 3554me's Avatar

Default Holden tests on my superflow dyno, what tests would you like to see?

Quote Originally Posted by paul boz View Post
    what about stepped headers? i have always wanted to try this
    Yes and if poss Collector lengths straight and megaphones .
    I’ve seen gains in cam advancing for e85 and also intentional port mis matching on the intake side as per Allports recommendations and also been making gains with smaller Venturi and throttle bores

Ps would love a look at that sticker so much of Sean’s knowledge has gone into my engine and car it’s not funny , and yes it works but I haven’t implemented everything.......yet !

Keep up your good work Paul

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    10.28@131.99 on e85 26x10
    10.34@130.66 on e85 255 radial

Circle track magazine many years ago when it was 160 pages, before it became a shadow of itself, tested about a dozen different plug wires on a SBC, making a little over 400 hp.

The aim of the test was to see what affect wire resistance had on HP. Not much difference between the best & worst, but the lowest resistance wires did NOT make highest HP. Nor did the winning wires have the highest resistance, they were somewhere in the middle. High tension leads also have capacitance & I suspect this had an impact on the outcome.

casual poster

Quote Originally Posted by 3554me View Post
    Yes and if poss Collector lengths straight and megaphones .
    I’ve seen gains in cam advancing for e85 and also intentional port mis matching on the intake side as per Allports recommendations and also been making gains with smaller Venturi and throttle bores

Ps would love a look at that sticker so much of Sean’s knowledge has gone into my engine and car it’s not funny , and yes it works but I haven’t implemented everything.......yet !

Keep up your good work Paul

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    i will get a pic of the sticker, gotta say it choked me up a bit seeing it up there, Sean was a good friend he lived at my house for 6 months, we worked together, crewed and raced together for a while, he taught me alot, we had many good discussions over the years i knew him. the dyno dream was meant to be a joint venture, but sadly it wasn't to be. but i will do my best to carry the work on and do some decent holden testing like he always wanted to do, gone but never forgotten

casual poster

Quote Originally Posted by GtoGeoff View Post
    Circle track magazine many years ago when it was 160 pages, before it became a shadow of itself, tested about a dozen different plug wires on a SBC, making a little over 400 hp.

The aim of the test was to see what affect wire resistance had on HP. Not much difference between the best & worst, but the lowest resistance wires did NOT make highest HP. Nor did the winning wires have the highest resistance, they were somewhere in the middle. High tension leads also have capacitance & I suspect this had an impact on the outcome.
    interesting

casual poster

the plan is to put results up on here but also run a series of dyno videos on youtube, hopefully this should make it even more interesting.

Thread Information