Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    casual poster

Default Importing US parts

Summit are quoting expected delivery as late Feb - early Mar 2022 so I'm looking for an alternative.
    I've heard Australia Post has a service called shopmate where you have your items shipped to their warehouse in the US and they ship it here.
    I read through their terms and I think I'll pass.
    Their size and weight restrictions are your parcel can't be longer than a metre on any side and can't have a volume greater than .25 cubic metres and has to weigh less than 22kgs.
    Their costs are a flat rate of $25, $11 per kg plus GST on the value of the item.
    So a parcel that meets their size limits and weighs 5kg and is valued at $200 would cost $100 delivery.
    Jegs might be quicker but don't have what I'm looking for.

What are my options ?????

Do you ever leave?

Id be looking for an aussie freight company that has a depot in the US. Get a quote from them. Summit will ship to them for free. Not sure about time frame though.

Is the problem the shipping company or the supplier to Summit because they are out of stock of the part you are buying?

I've had a shipment take several months to arrive not because of shipping time or delays but waiting for their supplier for more stock. It was x1 blue acc pump cam from Quickfuel!

Do you ever leave?

It'll be a supply problem for sure.
    There are plenty of things that you just cant get right now and it'll probably get worse before it gets any better.

I have my own channels and I haven't used these guys but they have been recomended by several people.

http://cheetahimports.com.au/

casual poster

Yeah, I have noticed Summit are getting almost as bad as VPW for parts on backorder but the parts I was ordering they confirmed they currently have in stock.
    Now granted, their "costumer service agents" are pretty much useless but when I contacted them they said it's an international shipping delay and the dates they were quoting were directly from their shipper's.
    I asked about delivering the parts they have in stock to a 3rd party in the US and they quoted me 7-10 days.
    I contacted FedEx and DHL and FedEx confirmed the dates they give places like summit are their best current estimates, didn't hear back from DHL.
    They couldn't really explain why there would be a 10 month delay other than blaming covid but did say that international freight is being further delayed at the moment due to covid vaccine shipments taking priority over all other non essential freight.

I've already looked at a couple of importers.
    One's rates were higher than Oz Post.
    One wouldn't except delivery without knowing the exact size of the box in advance.
    I asked Summit to tell me which of their standard box sizes would best fit my order but they say they pack everything in as small a box as possible, not in standard sized boxes ???
    They weren't prepared to pack it and let me know the size before they shipped it.

I'll check out Cheetah, thanks.
    Last edited by Sneem26; 15-04-2021 at 03:21 PM.

I got a set of gaskets from ZZP last week. 7 days from the US to my door using USPS. Shipping from the US is getting more expensive by day it seems.

Do you ever leave?

There is a container shortage at the moment and of course prices have doubled as a result.
    We cant get containers as readily as we want them, things I should have here now are still sitting at the warehouse in California.

casual poster

Wasn't able to get onto Cheetah Today, the phone just rings out, I'll try again tomorrow.

MyUS.com was the place I mentioned with the high rates.
    They go solely by weight and to have a 10kg box delivered will cost between $200-250.
    They use FedEx and DHL too, yet they're quoting 2-5 days for delivery, but say there may be some unavoidable delays ???

Maybe, ordering directly from one of the smaller parts places in the US like you did, is worth looking at ???
    I've dealt with a few places like Speedway Motors in the past, who were good to deal with.

Thanks again.

Default Importing US parts

Are they large parts?

I just done a dry run on Summit for a set of x4 convo pro wheels and Global Delivery Network and others estimated earliest 21st April latest May 6th.

Also dry run on Brodix track 1 heads not in stock and latest estimated delivery 12th July (strangely enough most expensive) soonest 24th June.

For something different a Holley hoodie. All estimates arrive next week.

I received two Summit deliveries this week, one left them 16th March, Global delivery network, got that Monday. The other by UPS left US 7th April, got it two days ago on Tuesday 13th. Both were around shoebox size and not much weight to them.

10 months is an unusual estimate for something in stock. I am fascinated as to why?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BasicQ; 15-04-2021 at 05:31 PM.

what shits me is when they say in stock you order it then it sends an email 2 mins later saying back order, then you get an email every week for 3 months saying backorder date has pushed out. I've cancelled multiple orders due to this. I'm finding smaller niche speed shops are much much better. I just bought rear axle seals for my 61 Buick, a centre bearing and some brake pads. Using places like Cars Inc, Kanter and RockAuto. all here fully delivered in under a week each with tracking via USPS
    Chris

68 Camaro 632 BBC Pro-touring

Daily driver - 1961 Buick Bubbletop - not much horsepower, but smiles for miles

I do not think Summit is the problem as far as shipping goes. There is a HUGE amount of product on b/order in the US. Some of it could be due to the China/US trade war.

I have a contact at Comp cams for custom cam grinds. Needed a roller cam for a 440 Dodge; this was in Jan. He got back to me: no cores available. Got back to him, said it was urgent.

Somehow, very kindly, he was able to find a core & I got the cam. I emailed him once I got it to thank him for 'going the extra mile'. I also commented on all the parts that were on b/order. His reply? Comp had their BEST year in 2020. This imbecile Biden is handing out more money for people to stay home; factories cannot get workers & are closing down.
    So no parts.

casual poster

Well, I found out what was going on.

I decided that if I was going to use a costly third party I'd trim the order to what I needed urgently so I deleted some items and the dates changed to later this month/early next month.
    I narrowed it down to an oil temp. sensor and when I add it back to the order the dates go back to Feb/Mar.
    Originally it was showing as being in stock but now shows as a special order with a delivery date of early June though that still doesn't explain Feb/Mar, but at least now I'm back on track.

Everywhere else I've tried since for the sensor have all been out of stock so I'm wondering if they actually had one in stock, as Cluxford was saying.

But, it again shows what I should have come to expect by now, that all the "customer service agents" I spoke to just puked out the standard covid delays line and didn't bother actually looking into what I was asking them about.

Thanks again for replying.

I have to know whats so special about your oil temp sensor that you cant find one anywhere.

casual poster

I just found it also happens when I add a set of SBC main cap bolts that are special order with a ship date of the 24th of this month.
    Must have to do with being a special order shipping internationally because if I only change the destination to the US, it shows delivery next week.

The sensor is to suit a Stewart Warner gauge which aren't as common as Autometer etc.

The sensor is to suit a Stewart Warner gauge which aren't as common as Autometer etc.

If you're after gauges or parts, give these guys a call, got all my Stewart Warner gauges from them, highly recommended.

20210416_071715_resized[4070].jpg

Thread Information