Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Drag radials. Pressure and burnout

Guys using drag radials:

What psi works best for you?

How much burnout needed?

Back when I used to run M/T ET Street Radials, I liked 18 PSI and only a small burnout. But I'm just a slow old 11 sec hack these days! The 7 second club guys might have better advice for you

Quote Originally Posted by LXCHEV View Post
    Back when I used to run M/T ET Street Radials, I liked 18 PSI and only a small burnout. But I'm just a slow old 11 sec hack these days! The 7 second club guys might have better advice for you
    Just an 11 sec hack too, that's enough for me. That 7.59 sec on the other thread is 1/8th.

Yeah I saw your 1/8 mile post - along with the estimates to equate back to 1/4, all good. I didn't think you had suddenly bolted turbo's on overnight! I just meant the faster guys might have more precise PSI knowledge to share. It's probably not as critical for our cars, but obviously still important to at least have them in the right window. What pressures have you been running to date?

For what it's worth - I had my Torana 60 footing at 1.62 sec which I thought was respectable enough for what the car is (3,200 stall with 3.7's in the rear). No fancy suspension either, just $30 springs from the wreckers. I guess track prep is the biggest factor.

I don't think there is a magic number, weight, power, temperature, track prep and suspension settings will effect how the tyre behaves on any given day but with modern technology (i.e. a phone camera) have someone record to see how the tyres behave and adjust accordingly.

Do you ever leave?

Yeh for 11's, 18 psi and a small burnout works pretty good. A good starting point anyway. I wouldn't go lower psi to start with unless you want your rear end waving to the crowd across the line.

When I first started with DRs I played around with PSI from 25 to as low as 18. It hooked best and did best passes at 18 PSI. But I go big on the burnout, get em nice a sticky. My experience, soften up the suspension it plays a bigger role in ET than 18-25 PSI on DRs (I run single adjustable coilovers on all 4 corners and a 4 link and found I picked up more time each click on the coilovers I softened it)
    Chris

68 Camaro 632 BBC Pro-touring

Daily driver - 1961 Buick Bubbletop - not much horsepower, but smiles for miles

Had 20psi cold in them when I bolted them on at the track. After first run went to 22. Dropped them back to 20, still spin. Went to 18psi, still spin and found after a couple of runs at that went up to 20 again. Dropped them to 16psi and wasn't to bad one run but just like the other psi another run. No big smoky burnouts except one but didn't seem to make much difference. 18psi seems to be favored. I didn't have a problem at Calder with only a small burn out and 20psi so I am curious if more or something different can be done when the track is not so sticky like the Ballarat airport. They have a few TnT days a year and I would like to go to the next more prepared traction wise.

Rear springs are LX Torana lowering springs, not sure how stiff they are for or in comparison for an HQ. Shocks are Pedders 50/50, trailing arms etc are standard.

Maybe as cluxford says I have more to gain suspension wise?

Yeah I saw your 1/8 mile post - along with the estimates to equate back to 1/4, all good. I didn't think you had suddenly bolted turbo's on overnight! I just meant the faster guys might have more precise PSI knowledge to share. It's probably not as critical for our cars, but obviously still important to at least have them in the right window. What pressures have you been running to date?

For what it's worth - I had my Torana 60 footing at 1.62 sec which I thought was respectable enough for what the car is (3,200 stall with 3.7's in the rear). No fancy suspension either, just $30 springs from the wreckers. I guess track prep is the biggest factor.
    Just thought I would be absolute certain as I didnt mention 1/8th in the other post. Edited it now.

Id love to do a 1.62 60. Maybe $30 wrecker springs are the hot tip?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back when I was racing, I was running 2nd hand VP Commo IRS rear springs in the rear of the LX. Literally $30 from a wreckers. They're progressive rate. They were super low, and just worked. After 20 years with those springs, I actually gave them to a mate recently and raised my car a tad so that the kids don't make it scrape. If I ever get back to the strip, will be interesting to see if I can still launch it as well now or not.

Last time I played at Heathcote I was running on cheapo street tyres and struggling to get them to bite with 1.7 and 1.8 60 foots. The 1.6's felt really good (noting they were at Calder) - my car's always performed better at Calder.
    Last edited by LXCHEV; 01-03-2021 at 05:18 PM.

Whilst we are on this subject of traction, QA1 seems to be a the big name brand for double adjustable drag shocks but has anybody tried Viking shocks?

Default Drag radials. Pressure and burnout

Might invest in a set of these

https://outlawspeed.com.au/shop/moc2705
    https://outlawspeed.com.au/shop/moc2600

Same from Summit f&r

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cee-2600
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cee-2705

Anyone used these or similar before?
    Last edited by BasicQ; 02-03-2021 at 09:56 PM.

Do you ever leave?

Be a few of those guys at Heathcote this weekend, would be good to see a 7 up there on a genuine street car.

I think some newly imported sauce is going to get used up there as well, same stuff they used here on the street a few weeks back

Do you ever leave?

interesting thread guys,, I have myself just purchased some MT radials so I guess I too will start at around 18

Quote Originally Posted by desoto30 View Post
    interesting thread guys,, I have myself just purchased some MT radials so I guess I too will start at around 18
    Next time I take mine to the track Ill start with 16psi cold as I found as they got heat into them the pressure would go up by 2psi. I guess the heat of the day would impact that too. It was a mild day of about 22c overcast with no direct sunlight heating up the road surface.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thread Information