Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    casual poster

Default VT brake upgrade for VC

Hi gents,

I'm interested in upgrading my standard VC front disc brakes to the VT brake upgrade kit. My foot almost goes to the floor when stopping, it makes me nervous.

These are to fit under stock 15 inch rims.

Any ideas where in Melbourne I could grab a kit?

What about the booster? Does that need an upgrade or will the stock booster suit?

Cheers
    Last edited by Megaman; 28-02-2021 at 12:22 AM.

been here .......too long Smitty2's Avatar

.... I run a VT/VX kit on the race car
    (as initially I was restricted to max 16" wheels)

I bought a kit ... hub adaptors, rotors, calipers
    plus a modded VT/VX V8 *master/booster (to bolt in)
    It also came with the brake line adaptors

I got it all thru Race Brakes Sydney (even though I am in Melbourne)
    as the local ABS and Race Brakes Melbourne screwed me around

I chose (and use) race style pads with that (there is a good choice)
    and also fitted braided brake hoses (not necessary for the street)

Since then, I am pretty sure Hoppers Stoppers do it too...

*needed as I have 4 wheel disc brakes, if you have rear drums the question
    of suitable VT master needs to be talked about with brake experts as the VT/VX master
    cyl;inder (needed for the quick fill style VT calipers) was never designed for rear drums.

ANother option is to use... VE calipers etc but again it is a matter of talking to the experts

Never late in an AussieV8!
    Club circuit racing...the best fun you can have with your pants on

casual poster

Thanks.

The rears are disc as well. I’m not sure I’ll change the rears, probably just the front only.

I assume the kits don’t come with a booster to go with it?

How big is the job?

casual poster

You will find a significant improvement in your braking by changing the brake pads. Ceramic are very good though a wee bit dear. Remsa are good and cheaper than ceramic though a bit dusty but not too bad. If you do go for the vt conversion make sure you get decent brake pads. The difference is noticeable.

I doubt the 'foot to the floor' was how they left the showroom floor, so maybe you should investigate that first [ air in the system? ] & you might be pleasantly surprised at the improvement...& money saved.

Part of the furniture

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty2 View Post
    ANother option is to use... VE calipers etc but again it is a matter of talking to the experts
    Do VE Calipers have the same bolt pattern as the earlier Commodores?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Castiron355 View Post

yes.. AFAIK for std calipers (not Brembo or HSV)
    Last edited by Smitty2; 01-03-2021 at 11:00 AM.

casual poster

The original systems in these cars will be showing some age related deterioration now; so it’s worthwhile going over all components and renewing and reconditioning them from a safety point of view. It’s also worth sitting down and fully pricing out your options because some pathways can get expensive.

I have had good interactions with Hoppers Stoppers and Race Brakes as suppliers. Hoppers Stoppers will supply upgrade kits that fit and work well if that’s the route you choose to go down.

Edit: One thing that needs mentioning is to be very cautious about some suppliers in this space. There are aftermarket branded components floating around that look very flash; some don’t work well or meet standards, many have not been fully engineered and using them may make your vehicle unroadworthy.

If folks use gear such as this, some of which is supplied by “hot rod” stores or brought in from overseas and are involved in an accident there is a massive amount of legal pain on top of whatever other stuff might be going on.
    Last edited by Horaldic; 01-03-2021 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Caution

casual poster

Quote Originally Posted by Castiron355 View Post

I have just measured the rear Ve Brembos that I have in my garage. The bolt spacing is about 125mm. Same as the front They are a direct bolt on to a VE. I also measured the bolt spacings of the brackets I had made to fit Mazda 4 pot callipers to the front of my VH. Approximately 75 mm.

Up to VZ the spacings are the same. VE no

casual poster

Quote Originally Posted by Horaldic View Post
    The original systems in these cars will be showing some age related deterioration now; so it’s worthwhile going over all components and renewing and reconditioning them from a safety point of view. It’s also worth sitting down and fully pricing out your options because some pathways can get expensive.

I have had good interactions with Hoppers Stoppers and Race Brakes as suppliers. Hoppers Stoppers will supply upgrade kits that fit and work well if that’s the route you choose to go down.

Yeah I have seen how it can get expensive. Probably looking a $1200 or something for kit and labour to get done. I just wish I had a mate mechanic who could come past and do the work in me garage. I hate leaving my car at some random mechanic. haha

Do you ever leave?

^^^ This is not really the site where us lot leave our car at some random mechanic. We learn to DIY by asking here about stuff. The kit has a different bracket to mount the booster to the firewall and the bigger 1" master cyl and the fittings to adapt the brake lines. You might need to get some brake lines flared to suit but that's about it.

casual poster

Yep, as Red said.

You can do this work yourself. Just read the manual (GMH manual!) and all the instructions that come with the kit carefully and ask any questions before you start. Once you get started if something doesn’t make sense stop and ask a question. Don’t be tempted to force anything or rush!

Provided it’s not an emergency repair, before I do an unfamiliar job I sit down in a comfy spot with a notebook beside me and go over the procedure. I read the whole thing through first and then, the second time, I make notes about unusual parts or processes or tools and use the facing page for questions which I leave a space under for answers. I look for answers in my manuals and reference books and ask friends who might be more familiar. Sometimes, like with a weird old tractor engine I rebuilt, this can take time going back and forth until I was confident but I’ve rebuilt any number of weird and wonderful things using he same method.

If, after all the planning and working through the process you’re still uncomfortable then, sure, get someone else to do it. You’ll be miles ahead of most folks because you’ll know what’s supposed to happen and are, consequently less likely to fall victim to an unscrupulous operator.

However, most jobs that don’t require massively expensive tools can be done on cars with patience and a spirit of enquiry.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTaxi View Post
    ^^^ This is not really the site where us lot leave our car at some random mechanic. We learn to DIY by asking here about stuff. The kit has a different bracket to mount the booster to the firewall and the bigger 1" master cyl and the fittings to adapt the brake lines. You might need to get some brake lines flared to suit but that's about it.
    aDSC00705a.jpg

the line fitting adaptors make it a breeze... on the kit I got (see pic)

you will need them as the VC factory lines are 'single flare', but the VT/VX master cyl
    seats need 'double flare' to seal properly. The adaptors just remove the hassles...

ps... the master end support bracket will need to be modded. I just made up a new
    much strengthened version (also see pic)
    Last edited by Smitty2; 03-03-2021 at 06:59 AM.

casual poster

You could try VL turbo calipers and rotors. ..... the finned ... ones.
    Bigger than your calipers, cheap, bolt straight on. I have them on my VC, pulls up well enough with stock 15/16" master. Will need 16" wheels to clear calipers.

Make sure the bracket that supports the master cylinder on the shock tower is in place, otherwise the firewall flexes when you push the pedal.

Quote Originally Posted by COM081 View Post
    You could try VL turbo calipers and rotors. ..... the finned ... ones.
    Bigger than your calipers, cheap, bolt straight on. I have them on my VC, pulls up well enough with stock 15/16" master. Will need 16" wheels to clear calipers.
    I went with Wilwood 4 piston calipers and T2 slotted VL turbo rotors, 1" master. Fits under 15's.

Thread Information