Do you ever leave?

Default What first fit issues have u had on a HQ --Z sedan style exhaust ???

hi all,
    Actual is ,, headers 3 inch collector ,, 304 stainless 2,5inch system 2 mufflers only Offset IN/centre OUT ,X pipe , over diff t/pipes

issues than come to mind is
    1/ front of muffler or clamp hitting tailshaft ,,remedy shifting muffler towards rear
    2/ pipe work hitting h/brake cable ,remedy header outlet offset to clear then ,,step up from X pipe exit to rear muffs .

Connections
    1/headers--collector v clamp --to reduce potential leaks vs gasket
    2/ band clamp inlet of muff to avoid hitting tail shaft
    3/ outlet of muff to tailpipe ????????????

opinions ??
    experiences ????

Quote Originally Posted by swampy View Post
    hi all,
    Actual is ,, headers 3 inch collector ,, 304 stainless 2,5inch system 2 mufflers only Offset IN/centre OUT ,X pipe , over diff t/pipes

issues than come to mind is
    1/ front of muffler or clamp hitting tailshaft ,,remedy shifting muffler towards rear
    2/ pipe work hitting h/brake cable ,remedy header outlet offset to clear then ,,step up from X pipe exit to rear muffs .

Connections
    1/headers--collector v clamp --to reduce potential leaks vs gasket
    2/ band clamp inlet of muff to avoid hitting tail shaft
    3/ outlet of muff to tailpipe ????????????

opinions ??
    experiences ????
    I don’t recall without taking a look tomorrow how close the handbrake cable is to the exhaust.

For mufflers don’t go too long in the body. I think mine are 9.5” long. I used butt weld style fitment. Butt weld to pipe on the front side and two bolt flanges welded on the rear. Matching flange on tail pipe. Mufflers are far enough back there is no straight section on the tail pipe where it connects the muffler. It starts at the bend. Hangars are on tailpipe forward of the diff instead of muffler so full center section (collector flange to muffler rear flange) can be removed. It was something I had done with the intention of dropping the pipes at the strip. Your doing full stainless so it would be a matter of ability of getting x4 two bolt flanges to do it that way and of course preference of r&r of mufflers without cutting and welding.

I also had a problem of the drivers side tail pipe rubbing on the rear sway bar but being a 9” conversion it might have been as much the lowering and the diff than the tail pipe being the issue. I went 2-1/4” tail pipes for plenty of clearance over diff and away from fuel tank. Previous owner bashed the fuel tank joining flange flat to fit 2-1/2” tail pipes. Likely dodgy and not necessary though.

You may already have mufflers but this is what I have.

[img]https://i.ibb.co/LPCXRP9/1-D348-A8-A-FB26-40-B5-9-D4-E-98-D05-A5-CF70-C.jpg[/img]

They are 409 s/s though.
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BasicQ; 11-02-2021 at 09:46 PM.

Do you ever leave?

Tailpipe mounts at 7min 15 secs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njhA4X-zTKs
    simple but effective level exhaust,, bolt on mount and weld on done

https://bestmufflers.com/bshop/Custom_Exhaust_Systems/Holden_HQ_Custom_Exhaust.htm
    goood X pipe
    rear muffler mounting to busy
    a good version of tailpipe mount -- although hard to adjust

mufflers
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OUTLAW-MUFFLER-SINGLE-OUTLET-2-1-2-IN-OUT-T-304-POLISHED-STAINLESS-STEEL/183125795854?hash=item2aa325e40e:g:OuQAAOSwxrlaqGS 0
    body dimensions 4H x 9w x 14long

My mounts and clamps
    ---collector v band --clearance and good seal
    ---x pipe welded in

front muff
    tailshaft clearance shaft might be 4 inch
    --might either band clamp ???
    ---or [cutoff muffler tail] bend entry pipe and weld to muffler--- no clamp

rear muff
    mount rear ward as much as possible
    weld rear mount on muff
    v band clamp or 2 bolt flange whatevers easiest

tailpipe mount
    as per u tube vid 7 min 15 secs

NB 3 inch seems to have ALOT of compromises
    Trying to not have to purchase aftermarket trans crossmember for more clearance

NB factory t/pipes always always sat equal/flush with bumper bar or longer . Unless u like black soot over your car !!!!!
    Last edited by swampy; 12-02-2021 at 12:40 AM.

I was wrong, my mufflers are same dimensions you listed.

Nice mount in video.

My handbrake cable is about 5mm above exhaust.

Cross member. I did have to do a bit of cut and shut for clearance. Pacemaker headers with 3” collector must have been designed for max ground clearance.

My x pipe was made by Exhaust Bros Geelong. A bit different shape than those other two that I think gets the mufflers a little further from the tail shaft and straighter. I’ll try and get a pic on the weekend if it would help.

They done a great job of my exhaust but cut the tail pipe short. I need the turn down like the video because I do get black patches below the bumper.

Either make your own or buy an aftermarket trans cross member. The factory style cross members hang too low and don't allow enough clearance for a 3" collector, especially on a lowered car. As Basic touched on above, a decent set of headers should be made to work with an aftermarket or modified cross member.

Do you ever leave?

Hi
    Just to be clear .
    Is the 3 inch exhaust/collector the issue when it passes under the X member or is 2.5 inch also a problem also but depends upon brand of header [height of outlet ].

Any idea if the aftermarket cross members change pinion angle ??? Not a big job as I most likely will need adjustable top arms anyways [9 inch conversion].

BasicQ u have 3 inch collector,, 2 1/4 t/pipes. What size is the under the body/x member pipe work ??
    Last edited by swampy; 12-02-2021 at 11:35 AM.

Collector to and including mufflers is 2-1/2"

At work so I cant look, but from memory its the collector going under the crossmember as I don't recall unbolting the flanges next to the tranny pan. I'll take a peek when I get home.

Edit; recollection failed me. It’s the 2-1/2” under the crossmember

[img]https://i.ibb.co/PwRxSkh/FA2-E8-B82-F035-4727-8762-F5-CD6-C0-C0-D4-E.jpg[/img]
    Last edited by BasicQ; 12-02-2021 at 05:48 PM.

Do you ever leave?

Hi
    Basic
    Last pic tells me
    1/install of headers will tell me alot

2/ the idea is to run exhaust high and level so offset /eccentric collector exit might be needed . This might also need custom x member . Exhaust cannot be higher than brake cable thou.

3/ from h/brake cable up down to rear muff and t/pipe .Muff position dictated by tail pipe angle .

Do you ever leave?

hi
    First pic Hq TH400 sedan showing I suspect 3 inch straight shot under aftermarket cross member . A side shot wold be better but demonstrates the clearance fairly easily . Improves horizontal alignment real good .

Second I suspect long 16inch body mufflers

Third shiny Ado exhaust

muffler styles
    offset in / center out common in the aftermarket 9W x 5H/4H x 14L width can hit t/shaft
    center in /center out
    Both configurations were used from factory 8W x 4H x 14 L
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by swampy; 13-02-2021 at 04:37 PM.

Are they all 3”?

First pic in your post looks like using Castle headers I found a pic of (sticker in blue circle tell tale). They appear to be shorter than others in both head bolt hole to flange and head bolt hole to collector. Might be an advantage to fitment of header flange past crossmember. Manufactured crossmember looks like a big advantage.

[img]https://i.ibb.co/878ydsP/269-EE283-DEC6-402-B-ABE2-722-EB3438-BA8.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.ibb.co/m0MVzvP/C71-AE572-801-E-462-D-8533-74-B5-DF2477-F5.jpg[/img]

It looks like 3” needs to be tucked up more into the tail shaft tunnel for clearance putting the exhaust closer to the tail shaft. My 2-1/2” is somewhat in the tail shaft tunnel but they put a little kink before the muffler for extra clearance.

[img]https://i.ibb.co/MN3nVYF/83-F2-DA3-C-22-BE-4-BE1-8-D33-14826099-A675.jpg[/img]

My old fully fabbed system seems to have bends a little subtle in angle in and out of X compared to pre fabbed X. Hard to tell from angle of pic though.

Last edited by BasicQ; 13-02-2021 at 07:13 PM.

Do you ever leave?

hi
    first pic 3 inch ,,fitted to high hp car
    2nd dunno
    3rd pic This guy is a local and 2,5 inch is common fit

Yup sure looks the goods re x member . Just would avoid all the minor twists and turns using all the standard cross member .Have to fit the headers first to see if I actually need it first !!!
    Headers on order outta Melb ha ha lockdownha ha . No collector flange so I can extend etc
    Last edited by swampy; 13-02-2021 at 07:23 PM.

Do you ever leave?

Last edited by swampy; 13-02-2021 at 07:21 PM.

You can fit the exhaust under the standard cross member but if the car is anything lower than standard you'll be grinding off the bottom of your collector flanges on things like speed humps. The collector flanges on my early head set up wore flat at the bottom and became hard to seal. The headers I have with my VN set up are tucked up higher and have much more clearance from the ground.

Do you ever leave?

hi
    I suspect the height of collector is determined by makers design and varies alot between brands and engine configurations . Eg Holden depends on heads and then chev and the obvious is collector diameter . I chose 3inch over standard fitment 3.5 for mine for ground clearance and simply its a street car NOT a sprint car were my reasons .
    Header makers in Oz do what ever they want and how ever they want ,not all versions are ideal .

Quote Originally Posted by swampy View Post
    hi
    I suspect the height of collector is determined by makers design and varies alot between brands and engine configurations . Eg Holden depends on heads and then chev and the obvious is collector diameter . I chose 3inch over standard fitment 3.5 for mine for ground clearance and simply its a street car NOT a sprint car were my reasons .
    Header makers in Oz do what ever they want and how ever they want ,not all versions are ideal .
    I think Pacemaker sell sbc engine mount spacers i assume a little bigger than stock to lift engine and therefore header tubes little higher from the chassis rails.

Thread Information