Thread: 308 Help

casual poster

Default 308 Help

I have a 308 in my boat that I bought not going but was meant to be freshened up. On start up it has milked the oil, I pulled it down and put new head gaskets. Replaced manifold as it had corrosion. Checked timing cover for corrosion, heads had been recoed and looked good. Bores werenít great and are at 60tho but I put it back together.

Put it back in and it milked the oil straight -did 4 oil changes still super milky,

Iíve got to pull it again and go over it. Block had a lot of corrosion in it that I blew out,

Looks like Iím up for a rebuild and a new block due to pitted 60tho bores.

Iím going to strip it again and inspect. Tips to find if it is a block problem ??

Do you ever leave?

At 60 thou and lots of corrosion, in a boat, I'd start with another block.

will keep an eye on this. have the same problem but motor is stock bore but I let it sit for a few years before fitting new bearings and VN heads. now its milk coffee coloured oil and radiator level keeps dropping.

casual poster

If I was on a budget i would narrow down the leak first before tearing down.

Does it bubble in the radiator when running?

Leak down tests on each cylinder?

Drain the coolant then put 15 psi of air into the radiator, listen for leaks

Regardless i'm guessing you'd probably want a boat motor to be more reliable at sustained RPM than a car, so whatever you find needs to be weighed against improving long term reliability. Consider resleeving the bores.

Thread Information