Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Could I also add that if I am seeing the three set ups above correctly if someone could not handle the thought of having a pcv valve then the breather in each rocker cover would be the better set up than the remote catch cans for a performance street car? Keeps all the oil in the engine rather than pushing some out to a remote canister where it stays. That would serve the purpose of....? The pcv with air/oil separator collects oil too but that’s in order to provide a function.

LXCHEV, I looked up the p/n for the US Chev high performance engines of the late 60’s early 70’s. Can’t remember exactly now but it had the Duntov 30/30 cam and a low vacuum profile. I think I came up with a Fram fv181 or fv178. Haven’t pinpointed the info for you but hopefully a lead if your ever looking for something else to try. There is also the later model fixed orifice pcv valve designed to reduce oil consumption. Oh yeah, great info on the back to back test, thanks for that.
    Last edited by BasicQ; 24-12-2020 at 11:24 AM.

Do you ever leave?

HI
    Pcv systems work in 2 different ways
    system 1 OPEN type 1970 on
    draws in atmospheric air via r/cover breather thru eng and via pcv to manifold

System2 CLOSED type 1977 on
    draws in atmospheric air from air cleaner base thru v/cover connection thru engine via pcv to manifold

NON PCVearly type ,, prior 1970
    walking stick breather on 1x valve cover and vent breather on another . All fumes to atmosphere

Motor sport style is equal to prior 1970 .....why because fumes still escape

Quote Originally Posted by 76lxhatch View Post
    Fully adjustable PCV valves are stupid expensive but it works:
    http://mewagner.com/?p=444
    If you can find a factory valve that suits your engine vacuum that will be a lot cheaper, but I tried a few and couldn't get it right. Bought one of these and dialled it in as per instructions, no longer have a massive air leak at idle which gave a lot more control to get it idling nicely while still giving PCV operation when it needs it.
    I've actually stumbled across that M/E Wagner adjustable valve recently. It's quite interesting. What issues did you have that made you go down that path, was it just idle quality or something else?

Just working through all the changes after a cam upgrade and trying a few things to improve rocker cover baffles (I have the alloy covers which look nice but the included baffles are next to useless).

The clincher was as you mentioned the PCV was wide open at idle and basically a vacuum leak. It seems the bigger the cam with EFI the wider the range of idle air control required (i.e. sometimes it needs a lot, sometimes very little) and I couldn't achieve a low enough idle rpm without having to resort to altering the ignition timing.

casual poster

been here .......too long Smitty2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lima31 View Post
    .. for advertising of Ryco Filters Crankcase Filtration System module

yes I am a cynic , because if they are that good, why has no manufacturer
    in the world installed them ?

Never late in an AussieV8!
    Club circuit racing...the best fun you can have with your pants on

casual poster

I used to run catch cans but still had filthy intake runners. i tried one of these and saw immediate improvements in how clean the intake was, even though fuel in the mixture also helps.

Makes sense given there is an actual filter element, not a perforated plate. A lot of catch cans have nothing.

casual poster

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty2 View Post

you will find plenty of manufacturers use crankcase filtration systems like these. Consider what they're intended for.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty2 View Post

Because manufacturers only care the engine survives till the warranty expires.

I just recently changed my set up. Was twin catch cans venting to atmosphere, as said earlier not wife friendly, she's never been in the car in 8 years of being on the road. I had to pull the motor so as it went back in I moved to a PCV set up. Kept the twin catch cans. 1 is just the can with a breather, the other routes back to back of carb, via the PCV. In the catch can itself I engineered a mesh plate and a removable / replaceable filter element ($10 filter from Bunnings that fits lawn mowers). I added this as I ran it as just the empty catch can, but it was sucking oil into the intake, as I can't baffle the rocker cover due to stud girdles. Much cleaner, less smelly and more legal
    Chris

68 Camaro 632 BBC Pro-touring

Daily driver - 1961 Buick Bubbletop - not much horsepower, but smiles for miles

Do you ever leave?

Hi
    Ryco sell replacement crankcase filters for factory fitted units ,mainly Isuzu trucks [ diesel] . There size is small so a 20-30,000km life span
    Due to the fact turbo diesel have a lot of blow by catch cans work well in this situation. In saying that oil still coats the inside of NA diesel also but not as quick.
    Overall a catch can properly piped would help a NA petrol also.

Regards diesel as to why should u install refer the net
    1/recirculated oil settles alot inside manifold ,intercoolers and pipe work
    Why makers are not that interested is trouble only really starts at 100,000 --150,000kms
    B4 that plugged sensors and driveability is compromised ie less throttle response ,economy suffers

The coarse hard debris left in turbo DID diesels is very eye opening as to how much the car makers do not care . This stuff wears out diesels and contributes towards injector tip wear also .So much for the environment .
    EGR soot carbon and recirc oil form a engine life threatening sludge . The engines are eating there own vomit ************.
    Last edited by swampy; 26-12-2020 at 11:29 AM.

So to this point nobody has put a case forward as to why something like below is a choice setup for my street/strip (95/5) type vehicle. If I were to do it then it would be monkey see monkey do.

[img]https://i.ibb.co/WGwXjMD/0-EEF5-DC4-CEC4-46-B2-846-F-6-C31-BC30-EEBD.jpg[/img]

Should I come to the conclusion that itís form over function when used on the street? That unless the car above is complying to a sanctioning body he is complying to fashion?

I should keep the setup #2 in post 1 as I would likely be going backwards employing as above?

I might get a few giggles and curious comments at car meets as to why I donít have a twin remote oil displacement/collection system over the pcv but otherwise no negatives to what I have now?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you ever leave?

HI
    Basic
    The pic of the Torana only works for street use if a PCV system is fitted . BUT is fine and complies for drag usage
    OEM PCV Remember the AIR comes IN the breather and exits out of the Pcv to manifold .

Technically an engine transplant eg LS is suppose to be fitted with all the emissions devices that came with the engine.
    Emissions use to follow the chassis build date .Now its what ever has the later production date eng or chassis

In reality many get away with alot when transplants are being done

Twin catch/breather are required as not to restrict engine breathing at full throttle or u might get leaking seal due to crank case pressure build up

Many OEM breather pipes are at least 16mm or 5/8 inside diameter .On a healthy v8 2x 5/8 minimum or use twin 3/4 ,1inch
    Last edited by swampy; 26-12-2020 at 01:50 PM.

Default Breathers v Catch cans v PCV with separator

Quote Originally Posted by swampy View Post
    HI
    Basic
    The pic of the Torana only works for street use if a PCV system is fitted . BUT is fine and complies for drag usage
    OEM PCV Remember the AIR comes IN the breather and exits out of the Pcv to manifold .

Technically an engine transplant eg LS is suppose to be fitted with all the emissions devices that came with the engine.
    Emissions use to follow the chassis build date .Now its what ever has the later production date eng or chassis

In reality many get away with alot when transplants are being done

Twin catch/breather are required as not to restrict engine breathing at full throttle or u might get leaking seal due to crank case pressure build up
    From memory the Torana above would need to comply with ADR 27A, a functional closed pcv system (along with some other things). Yep, we get away with a heck of a lot regarding that these days.

On your last sentence I am still not sure of its advantages over just a breather in each rocker cover if you donít want a pcv other than safety system to Ďcatchí the oil if something goes wrong like Smitty2 suggested in his first post. Without a pcv plumbed in the system for a non race car it just seems to be catching oil for the sake of catching oil.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BasicQ; 26-12-2020 at 02:01 PM.

Fairly much. May as well just have 2 large breathers on the rocker covers and call it good.

Thread Information