Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast

Default Is it me or is second hand getting expensive?

Been plenty of time on our hands during 2020 and the amount of time browsing gumtree and marketplace for me has gone up, never know what you might stumble across. The sheer number of things being listed has likely gone up too but I am not sure if it’s me or not but are people asking more than ever for their second hand goods? Sure a lot is ‘new in box’ or ‘dyno time only’ but does that warrant brand new first owner prices for essentially second hand? Despite the below there are still bargains to be found.

below are a few examples. Curious to know if others would pay the advertised prices or buy new and if you have seen similar expensive second hand parts being shopped around?

Below are AFR sbc heads advertised for quite some time for $5000.00. Yes they are new in box and the advertiser included the part number. I could land them on my doorstep from Summit for $3200.00 with all the manufacturers warranties.

[img]https://i.ibb.co/wd07FMX/637087-EB-F522-47-AE-8-FC1-B17-EEF62-A73-E.jpg[/img]

Holley Ultra XP carby seller asking $1500. Land at my door for $1300.00 with all the manufacturers warranties with a 13 hour plane ride.

[img]https://i.ibb.co/ZXBcLpg/18-A7177-B-2-A0-A-484-D-97-BA-DE859-FD0568-B.jpg[/img]

Holley big block strip dominator manifold. Never used but shows signs of age that aluminum does $650 not negotiable. Could land on my doorstep for about $460.00 from a land faraway with manufacturers warranties.

[img]https://i.ibb.co/TvvRJWG/C022-C914-6047-413-E-971-F-C25795-FA8-F36.jpg[/img]

Holden 6 redline manifold and 350 Holley. In good nick and look unused reduced from $1000 to $900. Could I buy new for that?

[img]https://i.ibb.co/6ghzLZ7/3-AA58-F5-B-F894-43-D3-8-D93-A2-C3-DB38846-A.jpg[/img]

Two Holden 308 blocks. Which would you buy? First early red $1500. Second late model block std bore $500

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4g5nMp8/505-EC467-09-E6-4632-A5-B8-331-E8-F2-A32-C3.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.ibb.co/k0qpSbw/D6-B1-D28-E-B82-F-4493-866-E-FEA9-CE6-D1-FE2.jpg[/img]

Pre pollution Holden small valve heads $500 non negotiable. Seen plenty of pairs of these $100-200.

[img]https://i.ibb.co/685xFzx/13-DD8-F8-F-8-B25-49-D5-B9-D1-52-B3-C19-F8071.jpg[/img]

(for those interested there would likely be a psychological effect in play called the endowment effect that has the ownership of something increasing its value in the owners eyes. There is also loss aversion where if we pay for something but don’t or barely use it we feel we must recover the cost)
    Last edited by BasicQ; 23-12-2020 at 06:05 AM.

Not just you mate, i'm seeing it too.
    Apparently, Covid Tax and Holden parts/cars NLA, is reason enough to do some reaming.

The millennials think the Boomers are a soft target...lol!

Yeh, when it comes to the older Holdens prices have soared. The wife and I had been toying with the idea of building a big shed in the backyard and doing another ground up build but I can no longer justify the cost of something to start with. The below coupe asking price is $26,000. No motor, gearbox, diff center, interior and some stainless missing. Maybe after a heck of a lot of investment it could be a $100,000 car if the arse doesn’t fall out of the market in the time it would take to rebuild. I also seen a reasonably neat and mostly stock looking HZ Premier that would make a project a heck of a lot easier but the asking price for that was $55,000. HK-G similar if not higher priced. I guess that’s the going rate these days and a project will have to wait and see if prices come down as I would likely have better ways to invest that kind of money now.

On the plus side though I am the owner of a HQ coupe.

[img]https://i.ibb.co/zFk5rC6/5-F31-F747-4-E9-F-491-C-94-AC-25-DB4-F80827-D.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.ibb.co/dgSBFjr/2-A939-AA8-82-A2-475-D-8498-2-B14-EF66-BFF8.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.ibb.co/6ydZYnQ/5839-A230-C9-B1-439-D-B475-61-D7-CFD0-A83-F.jpg[/img]h

[img]https://i.ibb.co/5rpsL9m/9-E8-F75-AE-B181-45-E2-A481-68154697-E9-FF.jpg[/img]
    Last edited by BasicQ; 23-12-2020 at 06:09 AM.

It's interesting times we're living in and here's my 2 cents on the matter..

Firstly the car parts. Having decided to de-clutter my garage over the past 12 months or so, I've slowly been selling off a heap of gear that I've accumulated (hoarded) over the last 20 years. Early Holden and Chev parts mainly (most would classify my parts as 'junk'). A lot of stuff that was nearly destined for the bin (and I speak with plenty of people who have binned this stuff over the years) - think dirty old engine parts (pistons, rods, pulleys, brackets etc), stub axles, calipers, old carb's, dizzie's, rims, crusty old exhaust manifolds - and the list goes on.

What I've found is that by taking the time to clean the bits up, identify them and then advertise accordingly - it all gets sold very easily (I use Ebay) - and quite often the bidding goes nuts. Something that I was about to scrap and would have been happy with $10, goes for $100 etc.... people love this stuff and it seems it's all quite highly sought after. Makes sense I guess cos it's original and 'hard to come by' these days.

The biggest thing I've noticed though, is when researching other ads online - people are asking obnoxious prices. For example a set of Torana stubs advertised for $800. I listed mine and got about $140 - more than happy with that. So 'asking prices' and 'sale' prices are two very different things. Don't be fooled by all the active ads - many of them have been there for months and months on end, not actually selling. People just hope to create hype and hope that some poor sucker will stumble upon their ad when they're in desperate need of a certain item. It's actually a little disappointing for the car community. I'm happy to move on my bits for fair prices - and appreciate when I get to buy something in return at a decent price too.

BasicQ - all those overpriced items you shared above - you really wonder if they ever sell or not - or if they're just dreamers. People need to get smarter at doing their homework before being ripped off. But I guess there's an element of the cashed up baby boomer generation who are letting it happen. Too much cash and they simply don't care.

As for the cars themselves - that's another really intriguing conversation. Personally - I think there's another decade or so of this 'wave of hype' left - and then slowly as the generations shift, prices will not only flat-line, but start to decrease. Rare and desirable cars will always command dollars - but many of the lower spec cars will begin to slide. The interest simply won't be there. Think about how many of us 'bogans' pined after muscle cars throughout our childhood - and then realised those dreams later in life. Ask kids these days and it's not chrome bumper muscle cars or classics they will start talking about. Yes, there will always remain some level of interest, but it's diminishing more and more every year.

Then there's an entire other element to think about too - the future (sooner than most think) will see roads filled with driverless electric cars. City dwellers won't even own cars, they'll just holler for their Johnny Cab Uber car. I hope these days are a long way off, but they're coming.

For now, I plan to continue enjoying my dirty old carby powered dinosaur. It never fails to put a smile on the dial.

One of the tools of the sales/marketing/advertising is scarcity. Tell everyone that their product is limited edition, exclusive, collectors edition etc. It’s to create that sense that if you don’t get it now someone else will so not only should I buy it now I should be willing to pay premium price to get it. And when it is acquired that endowment effect I mentioned earlier is even stronger. We’re now in an age where we are not only creating or manufacturing scarcity in so many everyday things but also looking to own it. We have also become very nostalgic, why else would the likes of vinyl records and record players reared their heads again with such gusto and the manufacture of fake rusted automotive related merchant signs and other paraphernalia become so prevalent. It might have started with the likes of Antiques Roadshow.
    And then there is the ‘barn find’ that was once something like a genuine XY GTHO, Bathurst Monaro or XU-1 discovered in a hay shed but now a crappy old HG Belmont found under a few layers of chook sh*t is a revered barn find that demands premium prices, not for what it is but what it was. I have seen base model cars that would barely pass roadworthy being driven around with pride as scarcity has made them desirable. Some people will pay through the nose to own something rundown and showing that the passage of time has not been kind to it in order to own something that is or becoming scarce. Trends and fashion is driving it and we may not be far off if not there already where a neat car is transformed into a run down looking car to give the impression of owning a barn find.

Of course Holden ceasing to exist has played a hand in driving prices up with older Holdens but there must be that element of opportunism as if that were the core reason for skyrocketing prices wouldn’t all cars with a Holden badge rise in value? If an artist dies doesn’t all his work rise in value, not just his oldest works? It seems to be the chrome bumper cars and their owners most benefiting from Holdens demise through the creation of an increased aura of scarcity. While Holden were still operating they were never going to make anymore HQ coupes but now Holden is gone the value of a rusty rundown Q is up. Scarcity hasn’t changed but perceptions have.

As for second hand parts what goes hand in hand is a brashness to ask crazy prices and as you say people not caring what they have to pay to take ownership of what they want. That’s the word we live in now though and we have to acclimatize.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The answer you seek is really simple, people are morons, and greedy.
    Last edited by JaseQ314; 20-12-2020 at 12:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JaseQ314 View Post
    The answer you seek is really simple, people are morons, and greedy.
    Certainly evidence out there to support that statement Jase.

All of those things above I was not looking to buy, just stumbled across and the Daryl Kerrigan quote came to mind “tell ‘em his dreamin’”.
    I did ask the seller of the 400 sbc block below how much. He wants $1000. If that’s the going rate these days for what’s in the pic I think I will fork out the extra for a brand spanking new Dart block and be done with it for the next build.

[img]https://i.ibb.co/XSbSsbV/AC124-D88-45-A1-4-A90-90-AE-0-E23-B5-BA979-B.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.ibb.co/QKdwqj6/2-BAD9-E0-C-98-CD-4-EC2-9725-677-BA2-A87794.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.ibb.co/hstmfHS/9234-D589-04-F4-401-E-BABE-5-D44-E16076-CF.jpg[/img]

Last edited by BasicQ; 23-12-2020 at 06:13 AM.

Do you ever leave?

Hi
    Agree with u Jase

The brake shops are also greedy eg booster o/haul can vary by 300$. Quotes 180--500 same booster !!! Mine was 225 All wear parts replaced including bakelite.
    On line brake parts ---cheap brands NOT PBR at 2--4x the price Amazingly done when PBR stuff is getting very hard to get from suppliers . Bosch owns Pbr and is not reproducing .

If aussie cars get that expensive I can see a far better Usa car in my future
    Big block ,12 bolt ,Th400 ,AC, pwr str for LESS money

Quote Originally Posted by swampy View Post
    Hi
    Agree with u Jase

The brake shops are also greedy eg booster o/haul can vary by 300$. Quotes 180--500 same booster !!! Mine was 225 All wear parts replaced including bakelite.
    On line brake parts ---cheap brands NOT PBR at 2--4x the price Amazingly done when PBR stuff is getting very hard to get from suppliers . Bosch owns Pbr and is not reproducing .

If aussie cars get that expensive I can see a far better Usa car in my future
    Big block ,12 bolt ,Th400 ,AC, pwr str for LESS money
    Big difference in quotes!

And yes, I am more seriously considering starting with a US car for next build like a ‘68 or ‘69 Camaro. Similar price for starting position and parts are well and truly serviced better albeit overseas.

Do you ever leave?

Hi
    If prices keep going up its the buyer who`s the fool. No difference technically between a GTS /SS and a standard 4 door. Only the body shape is different . No special components at all . Most sports variants based on based on the Belmont model [most basic ]

now usa cars from mid sixties chevelles and camaro etc etc
    alloy blocks --rare
    solid lifter high compression motors Sb Bb
    12 botl diff posi/lsd
    Th400...Muncie
    tilt adjustable column
    elec seats
    elec windows
    elec mirrors
    air con'
    power str
    electric sun roof
    suspension packages
    xtra wide wheels 14x7 standard ,15x7 15x8 options
    tyre packages equivalent to 215/14 std ,,optional 235 245 15

Answer your self what`s in an ozzy car = hardly anything ,,, but very overpriced hmm something wrong with this .

Now the cars that are worth it are usually based or actual track models equiped with modified parts
    12 bolts
    retro fitted aussie 10 bolts
    custom vented front disc where solids were factory Early Torana
    weber carbs
    These cars are worth something but rare so price is high
    A9x is the peak of engineering and the most commonly available of bespoke engineering

BasicQ, you are spot on mate. People want drug money for some car parts (a lot of the parts are shit to) Not to mention Aussie cars and the price they want them. Good run down on the parts you have seen for big money and the fact that you can often buy them new for less.

Holden is no more, doesn't that mean they are now all collectors items and worth their weight in gold, even the rusty shit?

It certainly is a problem, you used to be able to get bargains on Ebay or Trademe but now those sites are full of business selling at full commercial value and every other person selling some used stuff wants the same sort of price.

Quote Originally Posted by immortality View Post
    Holden is no more, doesn't that mean they are now all collectors items and worth their weight in gold, even the rusty shit?

It certainly is a problem, you used to be able to get bargains on Ebay or Trademe but now those sites are full of business selling at full commercial value and every other person selling some used stuff wants the same sort of price.
    Even Camiras? What about Holden Apollo? Holden Trax?

Apparently.

Going by some of the prices mentioned, I probably took over 100K to the scrap yard last year

But hey, that rusty old series 1 VN in the back yard has got to be worth 6 figures at a minimum

Yeah,
    Some of the Aussie prices are ridiculous. Mate of mine is selling a VJ Charger due to ill health. Original 265, 4 spd, only 16K kms on the clock, original plugs in the engine. Wants $80k for it. Mentioned it to another mate & I thought he made a very good comment: he could buy a Challenger or Dodge Charger for the same money.

For a business, I think we need to remember that any business is going to want to get the highest price for it's products, not the lowest.

Thread Information