Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Do you ever leave?

hi
    For the car in picture 5000--10,000 Condition and completeness is everything .

High prices are for either stock well kept more options the better
    OR
    Modified ""PROPERLY" not butchered , preferably no permanent body modifications

Any car over 20,000 a fully optioned USA car looks better

Quote Originally Posted by 46Crab View Post
    Here is a car that I think is a good buy. It ended at $18200. There aren’t as many pics as I would have liked and I even messaged the guy twice to ask can I come and view the car. I even told him in my second message that I’m in my mid 40’s have the cash and I’m not here to just kick tyres. But... I got no response so hence I decided not to bid after it went past $15k.

Thoughts?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Holden-Calais-Vk-/164561563684
    $15,000 in Melbourne.

[img]https://i.ibb.co/W0vjy00/455-AC988-7-C69-4-FBE-B35-E-11-DFC63540-B7.jpg[/img]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BasicQ; 23-12-2020 at 06:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BasicQ View Post
    The car below asking price is $56,000. I know it’s 15 years ago now but I bought one exactly the same except it had std wheels (still have the hubcaps) in 2005 for $5,000.

What has happened in 15 years that has added $51,000 dollars to its price?

I dare say it’s a lot to do with the mentality of the seller that has increased the price by that much.

[img]https://i.ibb.co/1631mGL/94385-F1-F-39-D6-4-CFC-B64-C-6-C6-A229-ED665.png[/img]

[img]https://i.ibb.co/QX5bHht/CEB31670-D6-AF-448-A-8-B0-A-31-F131171526.png[/img]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spot on, and the mentality of a potential buyer will exacerbate the problem which goes back to my first post, morons and greed. It looks like a pretty original old car but $56 000 is massively taking the piss. It only takes one idiot who's willing to pay it though and boom, the price of every other shitbox explodes from there.

I'm at the point now where I buy everything new. It's typically cheaper as you say.

Unless I can't buy a new replacement part (my 61 Buick doesn't have everything that needs replacing a NOS or repo...it has most but not all) then I'll buy second hand but I spend a lot of time finding one I am happy with the price of.

On my old collected stuff. Everything off my cars will go with the car when sold, even old broken parts. Nothing gets binned. Sometimes you just need to get the part number or look what it looks like.

Everything that are just extra parts that I don't use anymore, I now give away. They go to people I know who are passionate about their cars and if I hear they need a part and don't have it or can't find it and I have it then off it goes. I am no fan of the haggling bullshit that the average dimwitted buyer makes me jump through. I never ask unreasonable prices but it's still bullshit. Last one I sold was a 1000 CFM King Demon. Brand new, never used, but had sat on shelf out of box for 6 years, so needed a good tidy up. I paid $1200 I listed it for $500....You would not believe the stupid comments and price requests I got. (I had two, the second one I gave away to a mate who helped my with drilling T-slot restrictors into a QFT Dominator). Much much more personally satisfying giving stuff away.
    Chris

68 Camaro 632 BBC Pro-touring

Daily driver - 1961 Buick Bubbletop - not much horsepower, but smiles for miles

Default Is it me or is second hand getting expensive?

No fan of the haggling either cluxford. I prefer to price things I am selling that would avoid that too and fro haggling and see money in my pocket sooner rather than later. That as opposed to having something in my possession that is no longer of value to me sitting around gathering dust because I will only accept x dollars for it. The owners of the parts in the first post could have cash in their pockets instead of holding onto something they don’t need because they want to cover cost or heard of someone else getting a high price for the same product.

The big block manifold is an example, the guy won’t part with it for under $600. His words in the add were “if you don’t like the price then move on”. It’s clearly been sitting around for several years not costing him anything but an incorrect or poor purchase in the first place. I’d advertise it for something like $300 looking for a quick sale and accepting any losses for purchasing something I never used. Those 300 bucks can then be used to buy an infinite amount of goods and services such as many a nice cold amber ale they sell at the pub. Publicans don’t take intake manifolds as payment nor service stations as payment for petrol. So while I am filling my car up with BP Ultimate on the way to have a few cold ones using some spare cash of the sale of something I no longer need that guy still has a manifold gathering dust on the shelf. That’s how I see it anyway. Selling second hand stuff is bonus money not profiteering, covering cost or business ventures.

Something else I wanted to add to the conversation is people asking high prices for things they don’t have full knowledge of what they are selling. Below is a pic from an add a few weeks ago of a 750 Mighty Demon. The guy was selling two for $1000. As can be seen in the photo I have circled where the boosters are not seated properly. I could not in good conscious sell that for $500. Believing in the better nature of people I assume the seller does not know that is a potential problem or even that the boosters should not be like that or he would not put that photo up. Still, he is asking $500 a pop likely because others are asking that for the same part, not because he understands what he has.

[img]https://i.ibb.co/xMyKqhg/70733-FA9-58-DA-415-D-8-EAB-6-CE822844-E87.jpg[/img]
    Last edited by BasicQ; 23-12-2020 at 06:00 PM.

I couldn't agree more - a quick sale is a good sale. Why bother hanging on to stuff forever - I'd choose the cash in the hand option every day of the week too. Then re-invest that into the economy in whatever way floats your boat.

The trouble is that these days there's no such thing as a quick sale. You can advertise something for 1/2 of what it's worth and then still have to spend a bunch of time dealing with numb nuts offering you 10 cents in the dollar "cash today" or you get the "what's the lowest price you'll take for it" which I usually answer "what's the highest you'll pay for it" before waiting a couple of minutes and replying if your serious come and have a look and then make an offer.

I've got a few decent bits & pieces that I could move on and make a few bucks with but I struggle to deal with some of these moron "buyers" so for now they'll sit on the shelf until I find something to do with them.

Quote Originally Posted by hq308 View Post
    The trouble is that these days there's no such thing as a quick sale.
    Getting like unicorn poop but they are out there there. Last carby I bought was advertised on gumtree for 22mins when I spotted it and bought it as to me it was the right price.

Also I sold a Dominator 3500 TH350 stall converter in a couple of days for what someone else thought was the right price.

I hear what you say about some buyers. You can already be offering a bargain and they still want to pay less or you get 20 questions about what your selling with a disinterested ‘nah’ in the end.

A bit of humour about 'For Sale'.

This is not a joke, it happened. In the For Sale column of the Daily Tele in Sydney, around the late 70s. I cut out the ad & kept it for several years because I didn't think anybody would believe me....

The ad said: 'Coffin for sale, slightly used'.

I've got a few decent bits & pieces that I could move on and make a few bucks with but I struggle to deal with some of these moron "buyers" so for now they'll sit on the shelf until I find something to do with them.
    Same here, I dread the thought of it so I just haven't bothered, plus I'm not interested in freighting bits interstate and relying on the honesty of someone to pay me for them.

Funnily enough though, the things I have sold over the years I've had to deal with dickheads and time wasters but the people that ended up buying them (face to face) were pretty decent to meet and deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by GtoGeoff View Post
    A bit of humour about 'For Sale'.

This is not a joke, it happened. In the For Sale column of the Daily Tele in Sydney, around the late 70s. I cut out the ad & kept it for several years because I didn't think anybody would believe me....

The ad said: 'Coffin for sale, slightly used'.

It might have been used only for family viewings, that's probably not going to bother whoever ended up in it underground or in the fire.

or you get the "what's the lowest price you'll take for it" .
    My standard response to that question is double what I advertised it for, when they have a dummy spit I simply state, the advertised price is no longer available to them, it was a bargain at the advertised price, you tried to screw me rather than see it for a bargain, so what goes around comes round, you want it, it's now double. They soon piss off and leave me alone.
    Chris

68 Camaro 632 BBC Pro-touring

Daily driver - 1961 Buick Bubbletop - not much horsepower, but smiles for miles

Quote Originally Posted by cluxford View Post
    My standard response to that question is double what I advertised it for, when they have a dummy spit I simply state, the advertised price is no longer available to them, it was a bargain at the advertised price, you tried to screw me rather than see it for a bargain, so what goes around comes round, you want it, it's now double. They soon piss off and leave me alone.
    In most cases the "what's the highest you'll pay" reply does the trick too.

That's one thing I have noticed is that those ball breakers that start off by drilling you on price aren't usually the ones who end up buying, they're just looking for a bargain basement price so they can on sell and make a profit. For me in most cases the first genuine buyer that comes to look at what I'm selling usually buys it for a price not too far from what I've advertised it for.

In my experience the only question about price you'll get from a genuine buyer is "is the price negotiable?"

Do you ever leave?

Hi
    Seller ""Oh no I didn`t no the part was incomplete or damaged "
    Buyer Bbbbbbb ullsh.t
    Buyer [good used condition LOL ] U want how much !!!!!!!!!!

Good used parts means part suitable for reconditioning

And then there are these people: 'If you ever want to sell your car, let me know, I'll buy it'. Time comes to sell it, & the excuses start.....Just bought another car, raining in Egypt, etc,

Thread Information