Default Mechanic for VS Clubsport 5L

Hello all,
    My last thread concerned an engine flaring/hunting problem with my Clubby whereby, mostly when started cold, the engine hunts between around 600rpm and 1500rpm and then cuts-out.
    I received lots of good advice and ideas about possible causes including a dirty throttle body, vacuum leaks, and faulty O2, throttle position, air idle control, and/or inlet temp. sensors.
    I've attended to all of the above, and and spent over $1k on labour alone with people who claim expertise, and still the problem persists!
    SO CAN ANYONE RECOMMEND A MECHANIC WHO'S EXPERIENCED WITH THE GMH 5L AND ITS CONTROLS preferably in Sydney's Northwest or West?

Stock motor or modified?
    If modified I would say the issue is in the tune.
    If not, check that the IAC steps are in the correct range. (you will need someone who can connect to your car data for this)

Thanks Deuce.
    It's totally stock, and the air/idle control actuator has already been replaced with the correct Delco unit.
    No difference.....the problem remained.
    In my experience, there are lots of mechanics who can plug a reader into the ECU, but none have detected any fault codes.
    Does anybody know of a good mechanic in my area of Sydney Northwest or West?

Thornleigh Cyl Heads, ask for Nassif. Knows this stuff backwards & has a chassis dyno for tuning. Ph: 9980 9454

Many thanks Geoff - I'll definately call him tomorrow, but further suggestions in my vicinity are most welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Whale View Post
    Thanks Deuce.
    It's totally stock, and the air/idle control actuator has already been replaced with the correct Delco unit.
    No difference.....the problem remained.
    In my experience, there are lots of mechanics who can plug a reader into the ECU, but none have detected any fault codes.
    Does anybody know of a good mechanic in my area of Sydney Northwest or West?
    I didn't mean the IAC needs replacing. I meant run tunerpro (or similar) and check that the throttle stop is adjusted correctly so that the IAC is operating within the correct range.
    Probably would not throw a code. Probably just hunt a bit at idle.

Now understood, thanks once again.
    Although I should ad that a change down from say 4th to 3rd at 60kM/h while the engine's just warm will result in it cutting-out before my left foot's off the clutch.

Not in NW Sydney but not too far, you can try Gavin who owns Brydie Automotive in Waitara, he is an ex Holden mechanic who knows these cars well. No BS kind of guy.

casual poster

Inlet manifold gasket leak and IAC trying to compensate. Wont stall cold as its a rich mixture pending coolant temp

Thanks for your comment, but as I mentioned in my other thread below, the car actyall DOES stall cold. https://www.aussiev8.com.au/showthread.php/73591-VS-Clubsport-stalls-after-cold-start
    PS....all mechanical workshops I've contacted are fully booked so I dont think I'll worry about repairs until next year.
    Last edited by Whale; 13-11-2020 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Update

Did you contact Nassif, post #4? He has 35+ yrs experience.

Yes I did, straight after reading your post.
    Nass was busy so I spoke with his Son who relayed messages back and forth, and while he could have fitted me in within a couple of weeks, his workshop is about 15kM from me and I'd have to get public transport home and then back again.
    I'm in the at-risk age group for Covid19, so didn't risk it just yet.

casual poster

You can try Tom at Tom’s automotive services in padstow. He knows his 1st and 2nd generation commodores quite well. Have you tried another ignition module from a known working car?

Thanks for that information, and NO I haven't tried a different ignition module but have tapped it with the handle end of a screwdriver on numerous occasions, but it made no difference.
    I managed to get it in at a local mechanic, who after checking for vacuum leaks and the fuel pressure (both been done before), and finding all OK, is today fitting a correctly working throttle body off another VS 5L to see if that makes any difference.
    More to come...............

I finished-up taking the Clubby to a workshop that I've seen while waiting in the traffic light queue in Old Toongabbie.
    It usually has 60s Mustangs and Corvettes visible in the bay doors, and this time had a MG TF there, so with so many "classics" in for repairs and servicing I left the Clubby with them.
    Good move.
    After spending almost $3K with 4 other mechanics who couldn't diagnose the issues, Louis and the Team from the HILLS AUTO CENTRE (02)9631 9351 provided me with regular updates as they checked for vacuum leaks, various sensors incl for O2, air/idle control, throttle position, and even fitted a recon. throttle body in case that was a contributor to the problem (it wasn't, so no charge for that!).
    The main culprit was a faulty fuel pressure regulator, so after that was replaced with a genuine part the Clubby was 90% right, after which they recommended an injector service and a new high rate fuel pump.........done, and it's 100% right now at last!!
    Only wish I'd found Hills Auto Centre years ago.

Thread Information