Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default VS Clubsport stalls after cold start.

I have a VS Clubsport 5 speed manual that, particularly when first started from cold, continually hunts up and down between around 600rpm and 1500rpm, and then after a couple of minutes shuts-down.
    A second start usually results in normal idle, but on a few occasions lately the warm engine has cut out when changing down from say 5th to 4th.....like it stalls between disengaging and re-engaging the clutch.
    So far.....I've checked for ECM Codes and found none, plus fitted new fuel filter, and replaced O2, Idle Control, and Throttle Position Sensors for no improvement.
    I'm now wondering if it could be fuel pressure regulator, or if, like some European cars, the 5L V8 has a warm-up regulator for the fuel pressure?
    Any ideas greatly appreciated, as this issue is driving me nuts, and none of the mechanics I've taken the car to has a clue.

The idle hunting up and down suggests a TPS issue, possibly out of adjustment or the TB butterfly isn't set correctly. There is a small plastic piece that fits over the end of the butterfly shaft under the TPS, if this is missing it will cause issues like this. If the plastic piece is there, than you can tweak the TPS a touch, just loosen of the TPS screws a touch and you can adjust the TPS slighty, try moving it as far anti-clockwise as it will go.

Have you cleaned the TB? with time the PCV system gunks up the TB, especially the Idle control passages.

been here .......too long Smitty2's Avatar

TPS .. def a possibility !
    also a wonky IAT will give symptoms like are mentioned

Never late in an AussieV8!
    Club circuit racing...the best fun you can have with your pants on

Do you ever leave?

Seen this kind of thing a few times when you have an air leak between the air flow meter and the throttle body.
    Take a good look at the hose and give it a good flex in all directions to see if something opens up.

Perhaps even a faulty air flow meter.

Vs clubby doesn’t run an airflow meter but could indeed be a vacuum leak somewhere

Do you ever leave?

Quote Originally Posted by vr304 View Post
    Vs clubby doesn’t run an airflow meter but could indeed be a vacuum leak somewhere
    Both my VS V8's had air flow meters.
    I had problem with air leak in both of mine, car would start run rough and be unresponsive to throttle opening.
    Turn it off and start again, would run fine.

Default Additional info.

Thanks everybody....I've fitted a new TPS, but forgot to mention that the engine's been checked for vacuum leaks and none found, and also that I've cleaned the throttle body.
    I'll try to find the TPS adjuster, but where is the air temperature sensor, and is it just a swap-over job?
    Last edited by Whale; 17-10-2020 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Additional info

Air temp sensor is in the intake manifold in the number 6 runner I believe.

There is no actual TPS adjuster, just the small amount of movement you get in the bolt holes.

Do you ever leave?

Quote Originally Posted by immortality View Post
    Air temp sensor is in the intake manifold in the number 6 runner I believe.

There is no actual TPS adjuster, just the small amount of movement you get in the bolt holes.
    If your careful you can remove the thin metal sleeves lining the bolt holes and get some more adjustment that way.

OK.....that's all understood and with many thanks.
    I've now noticed a few drops of transmission fluid on the garage floor.
    It's a 5 speed manual, so hopefully a fix won't be too difficult or expensive, 'cause I don't think I'll tackle it myself.
    I love the Clubby - only has 162Ks but in a 25 year old car there are those few niggly issues that keep cropping up!

Quote Originally Posted by Whale View Post
    OK.....that's all understood and with many thanks.
    I've now noticed a few drops of transmission fluid on the garage floor.
    It's a 5 speed manual, so hopefully a fix won't be too difficult or expensive, 'cause I don't think I'll tackle it myself.
    I love the Clubby - only has 162Ks but in a 25 year old car there are those few niggly issues that keep cropping up!
    Might be a good chance to dump the fluid and put some fresh stuff in there while your at it, personally I’d use the Penrite light gear oil rather than the atf they normally run the shifting is much better with the Penrite, look on their website for which oil they recommend

coolant temp sensors commonly play up on these engines too, now they are getting old.
    It won't be enough to throw a code, as the reading is within an acceptable range, but if it reads cold when the engine is warm or vice-versa, it can lead to all kinds of fueling issues.

And in answer to your question, there is no warm up regulator on the Holden V8. Just the vacuum controlled fuel pressure regulator on the end of the fuel rail
    you can't put a price on FUN

Many thanks, but as you mentioned "sensors" did you mean that there's more than one?
    Perhaps one for the gauge, and another for the ECU?
    If so, I assume that it's the sensor that feeds the ECU that could give rise to the fueling issues that you mention; yes?

Quote Originally Posted by Whale View Post
    Many thanks, but as you mentioned "sensors" did you mean that there's more than one?
    Perhaps one for the gauge, and another for the ECU?
    If so, I assume that it's the sensor that feeds the ECU that could give rise to the fueling issues that you mention; yes?
    yes there is a 'sensor' for the ECU
    and a 'sender' for the temp gauge

both are located at the front of the intake manifold under the throttle body neck.
    The sensor is the one with the blue plug. That's the one you want. And yes the ECU reads the sensor to assist in determining how much fuel the engine needs. Under a certain temp reading, the ECU will add extra fuel, (cold start fuel enrichment) just like a choke on a carby engine.
    Last edited by ynot8; 31-10-2020 at 10:42 PM.
    you can't put a price on FUN

Got it................many thanks to one and all!
    It's going to a mechanic tomorrow together with a bullet-point list of the possible issues provided on this Forum.
    Fingers crossed.....and I will report back.

Thread Information