Default 6L80e (6 speed VE auto) behind 304?

Anyone heard of it being done? I'm up for a new gearbox, and this sounds like a fine option. It seems a recon/rebuilt old style gearbox will cost about $2k, and a good used new style gearbox will cost about the same, so why not? I have a T5 at the moment, but would like auto for easy cruising.

The biggest concern I have is regarding the torque convertor - can a shop just make these to suit?
    I presume the gearbox will bolt up fine (near enough the same bolt pattern), but will the starter motor be an issue?
    Regarding electronic control, there are a few options from the US that make them "stand alone", or perhaps just run a full LS computer setup? I've spotted an ad from Injection Connection (aka Kalmaker), and they seem to have a good handle on it, including running it in a VS (with LS) hooked up the original shifter: https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/wint...ler/1153727205
    Other bits and pieces like tunnel mods, cross-member support, tail shaft mods (needs center slip joint for a solid rear axle I presume) - these all seem par for the course.

And whilst on the subject of VE transmissions, what about TR6060 behind 304 in VN-VS? I see bellhousings and full clutch kits from various companies, but I wonder how the shifter goes with the floor?

Reckon t56 or tko be easier way to go for speedo to work..tr6060 would need shifter & slip yoke with speed sensor like malex motorsport items.

Only way see 6l80e working is using complete ve harness conversion...castle hill exhaust use to do ls1 harness on holden v8...have also seen youtube clips with 4l80e conversion to ls1 basically needed extra speed sensor + harness & tuning but yeah sort of unknown territory also chassis brace inside trans tunnel said to hit top of trans so some mods required there too.

Let us know how you go.

Thanks. Regarding the manual gearbox option, these newer models just sound so much better than the old stallwarts, it sounds like a worthwhile hassle to me.

But regarding the 6L80 auto, I made a similar thread on pcmhacking forum, and someone provided a link to their blog detailing their conversion into VT-VZ LS commodores, which isn't too dissimilar to converting to any engine, as the stock ECM for that era isn't compatible either. See http://www.torqueup.net/blog/2020/05...e-conversions/

casual poster

Had you given any thought to a gear vendors Under/overdrive gearbox behind a turbo 400?

Quote Originally Posted by keith reed View Post
    Had you given any thought to a gear vendors Under/overdrive gearbox behind a turbo 400?
    Nah. They seem to be super expensive, and even though they give an overdrive, they don't have that extra gear between first and "1:1" that really makes these gearboxes work good.

casual poster

Won't a Gearvenders turn the TH400 into a 6 speed? As in every gear you can engauge the Gearvenders, so, 1st and 1st plus overdrive, 2nd and 2nd plus overdrive, 3rd and 3rd plus overdrive, just gotta press the button.

Do you ever leave?

Quote Originally Posted by Mick_in_oz View Post
    Won't a Gearvenders turn the TH400 into a 6 speed? As in every gear you can engauge the Gearvenders, so, 1st and 1st plus overdrive, 2nd and 2nd plus overdrive, 3rd and 3rd plus overdrive, just gotta press the button.
    They are incredibly expensive and when you look at the ratios you would create, would they all be usable/optimal ?
    Something you would have to spend some time researching before you outlaid the 6-7K for a low end unit and getting it here then add the install costs.

I've taken more gearvendors out than I have installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick_in_oz View Post
    Like HQ 368 says, technically yes, but practically no. If you can even shift the GV whilst under load (I don't know), from 1-1 you would have to shift the GV to be 1-2, then shift the gbox up and the GV down to 2-1, then GV again for 2-2. And you would have to do all that within 10sec.

And that's without considering if those gear combos even have practical ratios. If the GV has a 0.65 overdrive, and if 2nd gear of a TH400 is 1.48, that means 2-2 is 0.962, so shifting to 3-1 would technically be a downshift.

Newer gbox also come with lockup convertor for even more wins.

casual poster

I see the GV shifted under power on the track in the US during Drag Week.

I'm interested in the 6L80 also, plan on using one in a hot rod project shortly.

I see some mention of them being touchy if not set up with all the original communications with the engine ECU due to a lack of torque limiting during shifting, but I'm hoping its not an issue as I want to run it stand alone...

Thread Information