Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    casual poster

Default Holden 355 oil viscosity - unknown clearances, hydraulic roller cam

Hi folks.

Looking for affirmation I suppose.
    Engine of unknown clearances, swapped out hyd flat tappet for hyd roller cam.

Sticker on Morel lifters box says use 5w-40 max. Cam supplier confirmed, stated 10w-40 acceptable.

Previously ran Penrite Racing 15 15w-50.
    Pressure was good, 15psi+ at warm idle, increased nicely with rpm.

Guess I have no choice but to use 40 weight oil, right? Any input appreciated.

Cheers.

Do you ever leave?

Yep 5-40 or 10-40. The days of 50W seem to be over. Supercars run 5-30. Basically run the thinnest oil that still gives you the right pressure when hot.

A lot of misconceptions about oil & viscosity. With an engine of unknown clearances [ & I presume mileage ], I would use a thicker oil, not thinner. .unless you want the last poofteenth of HP out of it. Supercar engines are built tight....& built often...so clearances never grow to the point of requiring higher viscosity oil.

I would use Penrite 5w/50 10/tenths oil, gives you the best of both worlds. Flows like a 5 on cold start up, gives you 50 when gets hot & thins out.

I'm running a hydro roller in my 383 SBC, also running Morel lifters. My engine builder still wanted me to stick with the good old Castrol Edge 25/50. Excellent oil pressure (standard oil pump) and no problems after 8 years. I've often thought about trying a thinner oil - but I figure if it ain't broke, don't mess with it.

casual poster

Well that's good to know, LXCHEV.

Mileage I think is low but suspect clearances on the generous side as engine is o-ringed, comp is ~10.4, VN heads at 58cc, deck height ~.015'.... suggest built for .. I dunno.... a flogging of some sort.

Might start at 5w 50 as suggested, Geoff, and work from there.

Appreciate the comments, lads.
    Last edited by COM081; 08-10-2020 at 06:44 AM.

Do you ever leave?

Hi
    If u are running rich mixtures and some exotic fuels remember to change oil often . Both will cause dilution of oil and low oil pressures.

casual poster

Yeah will do. I'm ODD in that regard as I'm sure most here are

casual poster

Quote Originally Posted by swampy View Post
    Hi
    If u are running rich mixtures and some exotic fuels remember to change oil often . Both will cause dilution of oil and low oil pressures.
    Yes, what swampy said, stick with x/40 at least with e85 etc. The nulon racing oil is the best out there, world class oil but expensive. Comes in most grades. Not that much more $ really if you only do 1-2 changes a year. Valvoline VR1 is what you want if not going full syn, used by AEM on here in lots of great engines.

And buy quality oil filters, that's another subject...

casual poster

Last edited by CircuitVK; 09-10-2020 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Double

Circuit VK,
    Do you have any comparison tests to show that Nulon racing oil 'is the best out there'?

Circuit VK,
    Do you have any comparison tests to show that Nulon racing oil 'is the best out there'?

casual poster

Quote Originally Posted by GtoGeoff View Post
    Circuit VK,
    More doubles. I have heard from drivers running it that it holds up the best compared to anything else you can get in Oz, like 300 laps X 3 with no oil pressure loss etc. Some of the supercar teams run it. Its 100% PAO base with Alkylated Naphthalene blended in which is even better than PAO blends with ester. Its full of zinc, phosphorous and moly as well. Probably kill stock cat convertors eventually but who cares, I have hi flow one anyway.

I have a pdf of the NR 5W40 VOA I cant link it, its too big. I can send it to someone who can.

Do you ever leave?

We use The Nulon products in the NASCAR engines, Dodge and R07 and have no issues with it at all.
    Independent tests put it right up there.
    Contact Chris Dawe at Nulon and he can provide any information you might be seeking.

I have no scientific knowledge or results to back it up but only fairly recently changed to Nulon 5W 40 racing oil in my 308 and have seen the best hot oil pressure at idle of any oils I have used, especially before it's fuel diluted.

The video attached is a bit of a puff piece for Nulon I know, but these guys used to use Torco SR-5R which is very good oil and very expensive (worse now with the dollar being low). He mentions that they used an American oil in the video but doesn't say the brand. The Nulon stuff is also expensive but if it's not in a daily driver doing heaps of kilometres and you can afford it, I don't think you'll be disappointed. The only problem is finding somewhere that stocks it.

Penrite does the 10W 40 racing which is a PAO ester base and is a bit cheaper than the Nulon, that is one to consider as well.

https://youtu.be/GqfncRRti5s

Iím currently using ULX oil in my both my Holden 355 Engines. One engine runs a 280 flat tappet cam and lives on ULX 20-50 and the other engine is a small hydro roller that has used both ULX 10-40 and 10-50 oil. No issues with oil pressure.

Thread Information