Default MSD IGNITION UPGRAGE - No Need for the Ballast

Gday guys
    Im upgrading my points ignition to MSD 6AL,

Before I dive in, can you give me some pointers or a diagram how to wire it up now that I do not need the ballast resistor

Also In the chain Ive gone with a new alternator with an internal Reg.

Keep the technical words out of the explanation because I am a simpleton.

Car: 67 Dodge Phoenix - 360 V8

Thanks in advance

Part of the furniture

Trace the ballast back in the harness. Cut it out and replace with normal wire . That will then be the small red switch wire . All the MSD instructions are online and easy to follow.

If you're keeping the points then it will trigger on the white . If you're going MSD distributor the harness will plug into 6AL direct

https://www.jegs.com/InstallationIns...1/121-6420.pdf

Part of the furniture

MSD 6X. Absolute waste of money on that engine. Better off buying an elec ign dist from Roadstar, Hornsby, ph 9477 7666. They were $59 [ complete dist ], but I believe the price has increased slightly.
    Sell the 6AL to another sucker....

Part of the furniture

Ps. Great to see a Phoenix still around. I owned 1960,61, 62, 63 & 64 Phoenixs at one time.

Those Chinese Dizzys are junk...The ignition curve is way too long and the electronics shit themselves regularly.
    Try buying an intake or block huggers from the same guy and see how well they also fit..Most of the stuff comes from the same factories in China and most have the same problems and defects..The suppliers know and just don't care.

Part of the furniture

I have lost count of the number of Chinese HEIs I have used & recommended to others. Double digits for sure. Yet to have one fail. Well made, Rynite cap & rotor, weights & centre plate either chromed or plated [ original GM were plain steel, rusted ].
    The original HEIs had AT LEAST 32 different centreplates coupled with a large number of weights to give an almost infinite number of centri curves. So of course a general purpose aftermarket HEI is going to need a custom curve to suit the engine it will be used in.
    Another bonus is the Road Star units come with a steel dist gear, suitable for cast iron or steel [ roller ] cams.

I've got a new "cheap" Chinese Mopar SB distributor in my shop right now, sprays the spark around like a garden sprinkler. I've replaced them in both Holden V8's and Fords..
    The Holden one I replaced showed around 60 degrees of advance on the crank and would start misfiring as soon as the plugs got a few thousand Km's on them.
    There's a reason why a good quality OEM Bosch ignition module like Ford, Holden, Mitsubishi used, costs more than a whole Chinese distributor.
    I tell all my customers now, that if they turn up with Ebay Chinese engine parts, expect to have them repaired before they are even fitted.
    If you want something reliable for your Mopar, just use a factory Electronic distributor with the factory type ignition box, otherwise buy a Chinese one and hope for the best.

Part of the furniture

If you are rotating the shaft, of course it is going to spray sparks around. It will do it inside the cap if you don't have leads on...

Even the Mopar Perf dists are made in China now.

Misfiring can be caused by things other than the dist.

Only you seem to be having this number of failures.

One thing not realised by many is that the original Chrys elec ign dist does not need to be grounded. The Bosch & GM HEI dists do need to be grounded because the coil current ground return is through the body to the block. A poor ground connection could result in poor or intermittent spark.

Part of the furniture

I just put a cheep Chinese hei one in my ve vip the auto elec bypassed the balast resistor with a wire for the 120 odd bucks it looks like a good bit of gear mate runs one in his race car. its got 16 inital and 35 total atm no vac advance comes in pretty fast ill put a curve in it when i see what the motor likes . Like all parts there all made in china you have give it a quick once over ive had expensive parts that are crap big deal it does a module ill just put a bosh one in it.

Thread Information