Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 1017181920

Thread: Holden 308 H

Quote Originally Posted by kavesh View Post
    Yes massive learning curve, not to mention the frustration and many swear words in between.

I do agree that the wrong parts were supplied, to start with. No way I would have determined that before installation as it looked identical to the old lifters, apart from the little hole on the side which was slightly larger.
    What I can tell you if I rebuild any engine again and have to replace lifters I will be armed with a thin piece of wire to confirm whether the metering valve is indeed in place. I simple poke of the wire through the cup hole will confirm that.
    On Monday I am going to contact the supplier and advise him how much of a run around those wrong parts gave me, not to mention the expense of rebuilding the motor. Perhaps he will apologize or blame his suppliers. I feel I need to do this even if it does not yield a response.
    I think projects like yours are where a lot of new swear words are invented.

The phone call will be worth it at a minimum to vent any frustration but you may only get as far as an apology.

Good luck and I look forward to reading about all the fun miles your putting on the Chevolden.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just read about a SBC on another forum with noisy valve train. Owner removed the lifters & found one missing the metering disc....

Protip: Take photos and measure up the crook lifters, suppliers will often want parts back and some less than reputable people will then claim the parts are good and stiff you on a refund.

casual poster

Great news. Well done James.

casual poster

Just a final note, motor is running really great, have done a couple decent open road runs now and so far so good. I now need to do some tuning on my quadrajet, but will revive my old quadrajet post.

I did contact the supplier of the shit lifters, he pulled out the invoice from his system for my purchase and then sent me a copy of the order he had placed with his supplier basically suggesting that he supplied the correct parts. He asked whether I still had the original packaging that the lifters were supplied in and I did, It came in a clear plastic punnet if you like. He denied that was his and said his supplier always used a cardboard box.
    Anyways after 5 years hoped he would just say sorry but his was not doing that, probably thinking I would try and claim damages from him.
    Anyways I expected nothing positive from that call.

Thank you again to everyone who helped me here with advice.

I have decided to start a youtube channel, I have many videos of this motor apart and looking for answers, will let you all know once its up and running (no not the one where posted links to videos).

casual poster

Quote Originally Posted by GtoGeoff View Post
    Just read about a SBC on another forum with noisy valve train. Owner removed the lifters & found one missing the metering disc....
    Wow, maybe going forward it would be good practice to just try poke a tiny wire into the cup opening to ensure that the metering disk is indeed there, 5 minutes work would save many hours and dollars work later on

Thread Information