Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Deactivated

What was the reason you chose the cc286? If you are doing a lot of circuit racing go and put in a ccF288 solid it will make a huge difference to the hp level, and give reliability on the circuit of a solid cam

been here .......too long Smitty2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alffie View Post
    What was the reason you chose the cc286? If you are doing a lot of circuit racing go and put in a ccF288 solid it will make a huge difference to the hp level, and give reliability on the circuit of a solid cam
    the car is a streeter ...

Never late in an AussieV8!
    Club circuit racing...the best fun you can have with your pants on

casual poster

Tuner should have sussed it out for you I bet you paid him enough. Toowoomba tuners they are the best in the country but you pay for it. Mines tuned at forced performance but not holden v8. But Jamie at forced really goes over everything and is happy to spend time to find and fix issues. He only tunes LS though and Haltech etc v8's outside all the FI

Edit: Oh you have haltech whoops
    Last edited by CircuitVK; 02-11-2019 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty2 View Post
    F280 would of been a better choice.

Quote Originally Posted by JaseQ314 View Post
    What sort of gain were you hoping for/expecting?
    with all the mods I've carried out since the original tune, I was realistically expecting around 20-25rwhp gain.
    But it's not just the lack of hp improvement (if anything it's gone backwards), it's the relatively low rpm that it's topped out at. The 286 is supposed to work around 500rpm higher than the old cam, yet it maxed out around 500rpm lower than the old cam. Just doesn't seem right.

Quote Originally Posted by guy incognito View Post
    Yes. Use the MAP.
    cheers, that will make it a lot easier with the data logging

Quote Originally Posted by alffie View Post
    as Smitty said, it's primarily a streeter (that also does some big drives) that I occasionally like to take out on a track day, otherwise it would have been a very different choice of cam of course. Plus not a big fan of solid cams for a street car.

Quote Originally Posted by CircuitVK View Post
    Tuner should have sussed it out for you I bet you paid him enough. Toowoomba tuners they are the best in the country but you pay for it. Mines tuned at forced performance but not holden v8. But Jamie at forced really goes over everything and is happy to spend time to find and fix issues. He only tunes LS though and Haltech etc v8's outside all the FI

Edit: Oh you have haltech whoops
    Actually the tuner was very fair with his pricing. Only charged me $300 for the tune, I was prepared for a lot more. Last Kalmaker (with a SP3 ECU) tune cost me around $1000 from Paramount.
    I really can't fault this guy. He ideally wanted the car to stay overnight so he could fine tune the cold start, but I'm paranoid about leaving my car in workshops overnight (seen too many cars go missing from workshops lately). He was fine with that, so said it there was any dramas he's more than happy to for me to drop around and he'll tweak the tune for no extra. But still showed me how to adjust a few settings if I wanted to have a go myself.
    you can't put a price on FUN

casual poster

Yea thats a great price, if you get stuck go and have a chat to him about it. I know that there are some great cars that come out of there, I'm sure they know there stuff. Did he mention anything on the day. Did you give him a rundown on the parts, cam etc...

P.S. I think smitty is on to something in his first post. Have you got the standard Trickshift manifold? They were really only for stock 304's (unless it's the stroker one). They are only a slightly modified bananas manifold.
    Last edited by CircuitVK; 02-11-2019 at 05:23 PM.

Not easy to get good numbers from a flat tappet hydro' cam with less than .500" lift!

The come 590's will shine with .550+ lift.

3" - (2x 0.065") / 2 = 1.435" internal pipe radius.
    1.435 X 1.435 X Pi = 6.469 sq in
    Times that number by 115cfm (flow per sq in of straight pipe) and divide it by 2.2 (cfm to HP ratio) and my calc says:
    338.165 engine HP

P. S 0.065" is 16gauge wall thickness.

Are you saying a Holden V8 produces 2.2 hp/ per cfm?

Quote Originally Posted by EH179 View Post
    Are you saying a Holden V8 produces 2.2 hp/ per cfm?
    I think hes saying in theory each 2.2 cfm of exhaust flow has the potential to support up to 1 hp.

Part of the furniture

Not just duration you need to look at for rpm range, but also LSA, as it affects overlap. A 280 cam & a 286 cam can have the same overlap because each has a different LSA. Will affect the peak HP & rpm.

Deactivated

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty2 View Post
    Ah ok i thought he was racing a fair bit on the circuit, in that case he would have been better off with the vn heads and a GroupA cam.

Quote Originally Posted by CircuitVK View Post
    Yea thats a great price, if you get stuck go and have a chat to him about it. I know that there are some great cars that come out of there, I'm sure they know there stuff. Did he mention anything on the day. Did you give him a rundown on the parts, cam etc...

P.S. I think smitty is on to something in his first post. Have you got the standard Trickshift manifold? They were really only for stock 304's (unless it's the stroker one). They are only a slightly modified bananas manifold.
    Yeah the tuner (Mick) is a great guy, very transparent with what he does. Seems to have some big hp engines coming out there, both imports and V8's. Has got at least one Holden V8 on the engine stand at the moment that he's resurrecting for a customer!

Mick initially asked about my setup so he could enter the initial configuration.
    But he didn't ask too much beyond that. He did make a light comment about the VE seeming a bit low in the lower rev range, but put it down to the relatively tight 110 LSA. After the first full power run he asked what sort of valve springs were on it. So maybe he was thinking something wasn't quite right.

As for the manifold. The old combo with the very same manifold peaked at 5800rpm, so not 100% convinced it's the manifold that is choking it. But tomorrow I'm going to try and find a suitable location.... to wind it up over 5000rpm in 3rd gear, WOT with data logging going. Should be able to play it back and observe the MAP readings at 5000+RPM. Might help determine if the manifold is an issue or not.
    Last edited by ynot8; 03-11-2019 at 12:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cbw_09 View Post
    Old graph says dyno'd in 3rd and new in 4th. Typo?
    just looked at that.
    I can't honestly remember if he did do the run in 4th.
    If he did, then it would account for the lower RPM as it probably ran out of torque to reach a higher RPM
    Would think he would have performed the run in 3rd so that it could pull the RPM and potentially reach a higher peak hp

I might have to quiz him on that. Thanks for pointing it out.

Quote Originally Posted by hq308 View Post
    I think hes saying in theory each 2.2 cfm of exhaust flow has the potential to support up to 1 hp.
    That's exactly it.
    Note: "theory"

Thread Information