Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Do you ever leave?

I cant recall what type of system your valve body had, did it have the governor weights welded or "clipped" to stay outward. If so then you will need those tubes and the governor installed as it was.

Did you run a bearing between the forward and direct drums or the factory thrust ?

The factory style thrusts on either side of the forward clutch hub are available slightly thicker which will help you.

The selective pump thrusts are also available still in thickness up to .128"

Knock that endfloat down to something similar to what you have at the rear, even a little tighter.

Remember the direct drum splines to the sun gear shaft which is supported in the rear geartrain which is why your loading the rear to ascertainn your front endfloat.
    The forward and direct drums are not fixed between the centre support and pump.

You can machine the centre support for a bearing and have that support the direct drum to take load off the gearset components but that is normally something reserved for high power applications.

Let me know if you need a quick hand, I have all these parts and it would only take a few minutes to stitch this up.

Hey mate,

Governor inners are locked shut, the outers look like they were welded at some point but the spot broke and it looks like there is a small amount of flow through the valve even closed.

Using thrusts on forward drum, but id have to confirm thickness when I get home from work. No bearings other than where bearings are normally.

If you have a nice pressure relief spring for the pump and a few thrusts I would much appreciate it!!!

Its been a long arse day but I think I know whats going on.

It appears an idiot used the wrong thrusts on the forward clutch hub.

So, the front endplay was measured with a 0.060" thrust on the front of the forward clutch hub and a 0.062" on the back.

I have nice new 0.078" thrusts for both sides so am I right in saying adding one 0.078" thrust knocks 0.018" straight off the 0.029" front end float leaving me with 0.011" (pending confirmation by measuring it again)?

If I use both, I'd be looking to reduce the fibre washer thickness on the back of the pump to gain back some clearance.

Do you ever leave?

Quote Originally Posted by guy incognito View Post
    I have nice new 0.078" thrusts for both sides so am I right in saying adding one 0.078" thrust knocks 0.018" straight off the 0.029" front end float leaving me with 0.011" (pending confirmation by measuring it again)?
    Correct, use it between the forward hub and the direct drum. Give them some more clearance between each other.

You can cut it by more but .011" is not going to cause any issues and is within tolerance.

I have springs and a whole heap of goodies but the best thing to do would be to ditch that valve body in favour of a purpose built manual valve body.
    The one you have still has the pressure cut back circuit in it and your running pressure off to area's like the governor where it is not required and leaking it off.

Thankyou, again.

I would like a nice valvebody and seperator plate.

For a first build I'd be happy if it runs since I've never seen inside one before, with the parts shortage I plan to stockpile and maybe build something really nice if I manage to blunder my way to a working transmission this time.

Do you ever leave?

You'll have to send me a PM, text or give me a call. Not sure if I still have your number.

I'll have what ever you need.

I'll shoot you a text tomorrow!

On another note, lining up frictions when settling direct and forward drums is a gross exercise in frustration, I had to walk away with a massive dose of the sh1ts trying to get the forward drum in. I'll have another go tomorrow.

Do you ever leave?

On another note, lining up frictions when settling direct and forward drums is a gross exercise in frustration, I had to walk away with a massive dose of the sh1ts trying to get the forward drum in. I'll have another go tomorrow.
    LMFAO, it'll fall in tomorrow first crack.

The frictions do have a sharp edge on one side and a slightly bevelled edge on the other from the manufacturing process. Aligning them so the sharp side is down can help.

haha. Not quite first crack but it went in eventually.

I also airchecked the centre support and direct pistons through the case just to make sure they actually move.

So, how do we look after a full manual T400 on the street as far as downshifts and general driving.

Is there anything special related to "run in" and when should I dump the fluid/filter?
    Last edited by guy incognito; 23-10-2021 at 07:33 PM.

For everyone at home, this thread (apart from my dribble) is very well written and inspired me to have a go after losing 3rd gear/reverse completely, big thanks to the OP for his posts and a special shout out to HQ 368 for all the info he has posted in almost every transmission thread and for looking after me while I blundered my way through a rebuild of my own despite having never seen inside a T400.

After 5 months off the road my crappy car is alive again, dont mind the fact the rebuild is probably only a weekends work haha.

Genuinely helpful people who know what theyre talking about are hard to find, Mark is one of those. Thanks mate!

Part of the furniture

Good on you for having a go. Mark is always very helpful.. As for on the street just cruise it without too many skids and abuse will be good

For everyone at home, this thread (apart from my dribble) is very well written and inspired me to have a go after losing 3rd gear/reverse completely, big thanks to the OP for his posts and a special shout out to HQ 368 for all the info he has posted in almost every transmission thread and for looking after me while I blundered my way through a rebuild of my own despite having never seen inside a T400.

After 5 months off the road my crappy car is alive again, dont mind the fact the rebuild is probably only a weekends work haha.

Genuinely helpful people who know what theyre talking about are hard to find, Mark is one of those. Thanks mate!
    What was the cause? I have something weird going on with top gear and I'm probably going to pull it out and have a go at a rebuild myself.

Direct drum clutches fried, steels burnt and the pressure plate was in a million pieces but mostly still held in by the snap ring. Outer seal on the piston was damaged, a piece about an inch long was missing (it was still in there, just not attached in any serious way.)

This is what I saw when I pulled the forward drum out and removed about 20 pieces of broken pressure plate.

20210529_114227_resized.jpg
    Last edited by guy incognito; 24-10-2021 at 01:10 PM.

Cant get any of the pics attached other than the above, whats the hotness for uploads given the last time I posted a pic anywhere, PB was still free.

Thread Information