Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678

Do a pressure check before pulling anything apart.

Do you ever leave?

If your noticing something in top gear it will probably be more evident in Reverse.
    As above a pressure test is a good start.

It isn't uncommon for a plastic accumulator piston on the valve body to crack and at times completely fail.
    this can be replaced with an aluminium one and is easy to check and repair with trans in the car if no serious damage is done yet.

Quote Originally Posted by HQ 368 View Post
    If your noticing something in top gear it will probably be more evident in Reverse.
    As above a pressure test is a good start.

It isn't uncommon for a plastic accumulator piston on the valve body to crack and at times completely fail.
    this can be replaced with an aluminium one and is easy to check and repair with trans in the car if no serious damage is done yet.
    I need to do a pressure test again but previously the pressures were good. I've had the pan off it a couple of times, the fluid is always cherry red and there's no glitter and not much in the way of clutch dust in the pan.

It feels almost like a governor issue, If you're cruising along the freeway at light throttle and then increase the throttle slightly it revs up like the gearbox is slipping (I think it might just be trying to pick up 2nd at too high a road speed for light load?). If you accelerate hard, it accelerates in 2nd gear and eventually grabs top and continues to accelerate. When you get off the freeway it likes to take off in 2nd gear. I've had 2 different governors in it, had them both apart and I'm reasonably confident that the valve moves freely in both. The other issue is it does occasionally slip in reverse backing up the driveway which I don't think is governor related? From memory I think both valve bodies have aluminium pistons.

Besides the governor, I've changed the valvebody and the kickdown solenoid. Neither made any difference to the problem, but the new (reworked, Hughes Performance) valve body has a really good shift feel compared to the B&M shift kitted VB that I replaced.

The reason I was leading towards rebuilding it is, it was a good second hand box I bought and put in the car over 10 years ago so I have no idea what's inside it. On the other hand it would be nice to identify the cause of the issue before I pull it down.

Thread Information