Default Ls1 swap problem

Hi Guys
    I have dropped a LS1 into my HQ statesman I have used tuff mounts and a holley 302-2 oil pan which fit well, my problem is the engine and trans angle (4L60e trans) is 4.2deg back or down, this is fine for oil drain back but not for my u-joint angles, I have tried to life the rear of the trans but it hits the trans tunnel somewhere, i have slotted the tuff mounts to allow the engine to be pushed back (5-10mm) so i could use my drive shaft from the 305 and th350 that was in the car before. Is that 5-10mm now causing the trans to hit the tunnel.
    Need to lower angle to get better u-joint working angles current angle are trans 4.2 down D/shaft .7 down pinion is 1 up (points to the ground) ride height is just below stock and I'm getting a vibration on deceleration 100ks its not bad but its their.
    Any help is greatly appreciated as this is the last thing before being legal.

Do you have adjustable top trailing arms?

Not yet but will look at getting some as want to lower at some stage, am hoping new harder bushes in tops would bring angle up to 0degs
    If I adjust the pinion angle to much it's going to make the trans ujoint angle worse. Knowing what trans angle other people have with Ls1 swaps would help.
    Anyone know what factory Salisbury v8 pinion angle is.

Hi,

Don’t worry what the factory pinion angle is, you need adjustable top trailing arms to adjust your pinion to 4.2 deg up. The gearbox and diff need to be parallel (gearbox down, pinion up) to within 1 deg of each other.

It’s not the angle of the tailshaft to the gearbox or diff that is an issue (look at some 4x4 at the big angles they have) it is the relation of the angle of the trans to the diff.

The harder bushing won’t change the diff angle only make the suspension harder.

Hope this helps.

Thanks SRH11
    I would like to lower car as is pretty high at stock height this could make u-joint working angles about 6deg with the drive shaft angled up towards the rear, I hope to go faster than your average 4x4. I really need to get trans angle down to 2deg so i really need to know what others have done with the same combo, Had hoped using tuff mounts would have made it easier (as if any swap is easy) going to jack trans up then remove and look for witness marks in tunnel, I was just hoping to not have to pull trans out again.
    Considering how many LS swaps have now been done theirs still not a lot of real detailed info out there (thats helpful anyway) Have read the street machine swap article which made it all look simple.

Also looking at over $600 for upper control arms in NZ, anything to do with old holdens or LS engines is expensive, exchange rate, postage and customs charges often add up to more than cost of the parts.

Do you ever leave?

hi
    angles cannot have a difference greater than
    1-2 degrees ideal
    2-3 acceptable
    Greater than 3 its a no go

Can u not shift motor /trans forward to generate a flatter angle ???
    Shift motor forward trans forward to factory spot and have a new T/shaft made [might be able to use yokes with new tube]

If u are going to lower u will need adjustable upper arms to correct pinion angle anyways

https://www.drivelinesnw.com/part-tr...ngle-problems/

Driveshaft Angles

OC Driveshaft > Shaft Facts > Driveline Vibration
    Last edited by swampy; 24-03-2018 at 11:09 AM.

I have made some adjustments to and and have u-joint working angles to within 2 deg, trans and diff angles are still not the best but better that before and will do for now, I have a spare set of upper arms so will make them into adjustable arms for when i lower the car
    I looked at whiteline arms but didnt like the look of the build quality they look a bit flimsy , I like the look of the United speed shop, Rod Tech, arms and will buy a set when in Oz next time.

Thread Information