Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 68

Thread: Holley HP EFI

  1. #1
    casual poster
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    61

    Default Holley HP EFI

    Hi Guys,

    Just thought i would see if anyone has had any experience with the Holley HP EFI system. I am looking at some form of self learning system for my car and have looked at Holley Sniper EFI, Fast EZY efi 2.0 and FiTech. All three units look very good and are all throttle body injection so easy to install and set up if youtube is anything to go by. They do have the disadvantage that i would need to cut a hole in the bonnet with the Harrop single plane intake that i want to use. I would prefer to avoid that if possible.

    The Holley HP EFI looks like it has a lot more features and states it can run 8 sequential injectors which i know that from a fuel injection point of view is great. The unit is about $2500 including harness which is not too bad but more expensive than the TBI systems as i would still need injectors, intake elbow and TB. The self learning looks pretty good and it should be able to cope with different fuels and obviously save some money on the tuning side if the ECU is doing that itself.

    Engine is a 355 stroker in a VL. Currently very basic but am looking for something that has room to grow as additional power is added to the vehicle. i hate buying things twice!!


    Cheers

  2. #2
    Do you ever leave? paulzig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    16,008

    Default

    I bought one of these, I dont know what Im going to put it on but it was an impulse purchase. More than half the price of the Holley HP.

    https://www.diyautotune.com/product/...-57-assembled/

    They also do a Pro Version MS3Pro which is still less than the Holley system and has all the same features, these all have Autotune on them too. But the 8 sequential injection is for high impedance unless you go to the highest end ECU. The price here is for the evo version with an unterminated harness:

    https://www.ampefi.com/product/ms3pr...gement-system/

  3. #3
    casual poster
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    61

    Default

    I was looking at the Megasquirt ecu's over the weekend but didn't know they were self tuning. I will look into that a bit more tonight. I wonder if its as fast and good as the holley hp efi, i found this video online which i think is pretty impressive.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwkqjotkDJQ

    I am happy with high impedance injectors. i was planning to run high impedance anyway as long as its sequential as i think that is pretty important with the holden v8's. If it wasnt i would probably just stick with the modified delco 808 i have. The MS3 pro looks pretty good.

  4. #4
    Do you ever leave? paulzig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    16,008

    Default

    The tunerstudio has what is called VE analyze live, its on the paid version of Tunerstudio only ($75 to purchase) but comes free with the MS3Pro. It works much the same way as the Holley, tunerstudio also has a feature on the paid version where you can auto generate a startup VE table and AFR table (no spark table auto though)

    Even the MS3x would get you by that cost me $850 landed without the harnesses etc...

  5. #5
    Part of the furniture
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    1,174

    Default

    The holley kit is gun, seen it and nothing bad to say.

    Easy, accurate and perfect. Looks good with dash.
    Set forget

  6. #6
    Do you ever leave? paulzig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    16,008

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by m016922 View Post
    The holley kit is gun, seen it and nothing bad to say.

    Easy, accurate and perfect. Looks good with dash.
    Set forget
    All the higher end EFI systems these days do that though ... You can download dashboard apps for everything that will let you make an android/ipad dash inside your car too. Some Aussie options like Haltech, Adaptronic et al in that price range.

  7. #7
    casual poster
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Thanks M016922. Good to hear that the systems works well. I like the ease of use with them as well and maybe that's why they are a little bit more expensive. Also pretty cool that they are always self learning and they don't need to be plugged into a laptop to be self learning. Also what car/engine combo have you seen the Holley HP on?

    Paulzig - Will the MS3Pro just the learn with VE analyze live? or can it be set up to be self learning all the time. Maybe if a tablet is plugged in and being used as a dash??

    It looks like price wise the MS3 plus loom would be around $950 aud plus postage give or take which is a considerable saving over the Holley HP EFI but not as advanced and still the need to purchase software for auto tune. The MS3Pro and loom is more like $1600 aud plus tax plus postage so would probably be around the $2k mark or maybe just over. In that instance i would probably just go with the Holley HP EFI as the $2500 i was quoted for that system also included all the sensors i think.

    I think Fitech have just brought out a Go-Port EFI as well but there is not a lot of info i can find on that and i would still need the hole in the bonnet as everything is mounted in the TB.

  8. #8
    Do you ever leave? paulzig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    16,008

    Default

    yeah I priced the Ms3pro evo and it came out around 2K with postage landed. The Ms3x I got was less than half but I still have to get harnesses for a couple of hundred, but its aimed more at people who want to learn rather than plug and play.

    Why would you set up a system to be self learning all the time? You have an AFR target table and the corrections in closed loop are based off that anyway, the goal is to have it tuned so that over a certain map or TPS the system goes open loop and then you rely on the VE table.

    They are expensive because they want to recoup the money they spend developing them and profit, Imagine what sort of desktop PC you could buy for $2500 and then look at the Holley makes you go hmm. Theres probably about a few hundred worth of parts in these ECU's

  9. #9
    Part of the furniture Deuce.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Meremere Dragway - often!
    Posts
    1,146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Toohey86 View Post
    I was looking at the Megasquirt ecu's over the weekend but didn't know they were self tuning.
    Talked to a local tuner a few years back. The megasquirt was quite basic with large jumps in the cell devisions (for example 1000rpm steps instead of 500rpm like better units) numbers are only example though.
    He much prefered the link ecu.

  10. #10
    Part of the furniture
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    1,174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paulzig View Post
    All the higher end EFI systems these days do that though ... You can download dashboard apps for everything that will let you make an android/ipad dash inside your car too. Some Aussie options like Haltech, Adaptronic et al in that price range.
    The high end gets you stuck with your tunner, the simplicity is the key for a diy.

    The key factor about the holley stuff is it's ability to quickly correct maps, brand, resale.

    I'm waiting for the 8 injector to be sold or just going the hp.
    This info is from direct users of the fastest radial cars but the dominator version. The carb version shits is killer and just in fuel economy and realiability in performance every day is key.

    It's crisp as they come... which is what you want from a carb.

  11. #11
    Not the Kingswood! hq308's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    The Riff
    Posts
    2,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Toohey86 View Post

    I think Fitech have just brought out a Go-Port EFI as well but there is not a lot of info i can find on that and i would still need the hole in the bonnet as everything is mounted in the TB.
    I'm a fan of the FiTech TB units (I have one fitted to my 308) and think they make a good introduction to aftermarket EFI. That said I wouldn't recommend it as a competitor to the Holley HP stuff, the software is basic (compared to Holley HP) and the VE tables are low resolution (6 x 8) where as I think the Holley HP is something like 30 x 30.

  12. #12
    casual poster
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paulzig View Post
    They are expensive because they want to recoup the money they spend developing them and profit, Imagine what sort of desktop PC you could buy for $2500 and then look at the Holley makes you go hmm. Theres probably about a few hundred worth of parts in these ECU's
    I think that is just life, every product we buy at retail price is going to be so much higher than the cost to manufacture.


    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce. View Post
    Talked to a local tuner a few years back. The megasquirt was quite basic with large jumps in the cell devisions (for example 1000rpm steps instead of 500rpm like better units) numbers are only example though.
    He much prefered the link ecu.
    I think MS3 is a 16x16 VE and spark table. Probably works ok for basic engines but could be better. I think Holley is 30x30 or 32x32 like most other major brands and higher end products. The trade off is that its a lot cheaper.


    Quote Originally Posted by m016922 View Post
    The high end gets you stuck with your tunner, the simplicity is the key for a diy.

    The key factor about the holley stuff is it's ability to quickly correct maps, brand, resale.

    I'm waiting for the 8 injector to be sold or just going the hp.
    This info is from direct users of the fastest radial cars but the dominator version. The carb version shits is killer and just in fuel economy and realiability in performance every day is key.

    It's crisp as they come... which is what you want from a carb.
    I have looked at the Sniper EFI 8 but that is not being released until mid next year and not sure what the price tag is. For a petrol engine under 600hp using PULP the Sniper EFI 4 looks like a great unit and good value for money at under $1500 aud.

    Quote Originally Posted by hq308 View Post
    I'm a fan of the FiTech TB units (I have one fitted to my 308) and think they make a good introduction to aftermarket EFI. That said I wouldn't recommend it as a competitor to the Holley HP stuff, the software is basic (compared to Holley HP) and the VE tables are low resolution (6 x 8) where as I think the Holley HP is something like 30 x 30.
    Fitech does look ok and is around $2500 aud for the 1200hp 8 injector version. Two problems there for me is that one i will have to cut a hole in the bonnet which means a scoop of some kind. As its a VL i think it would have to be a walkinshaw scoop as i don't like reverse cowl on VL's. The second is that there is no flexibility. While my long term plan would be to have a boosted 355 running e85, in the shorter term with limited funds i want something with a bit more power on PULP. not sure how the 1200hp fitech unit would run on a 400-420hp 355...

    Benefit of holley or some other self learning MPI is that i can just use my current injectors which are fine for now and then upgrade them later as required. Then for a home mechanic like myself, i can try out all the parts i have in the shed, learn more about the motor and different combos without having to pay $300-500 for turning each time.

  13. #13
    Do you ever leave? paulzig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    16,008

    Default

    16x16 VE table which is more than enough for anything really... There are a lot of people using a 16x16 table on engine masters challenge engines, all forms of drag racing nitrous, turbo, supercharged, circuit, land speed etc. Hardly call a lot of these engines basic

    There is the Haltech Elite series, the 2000 and 2500 have 32x32 resolution series come in around the $2500 marker too, I think they were having a sale or something.

    Personally I dont know if I could justify that sort of price tag when you'll probably only use a small portion of the available features for a naturally aspirated Holden 355

  14. #14
    casual poster
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paulzig View Post
    16x16 VE table which is more than enough for anything really... There are a lot of people using a 16x16 table on engine masters challenge engines, all forms of drag racing nitrous, turbo, supercharged, circuit, land speed etc. Hardly call a lot of these engines basic

    There is the Haltech Elite series, the 2000 and 2500 have 32x32 resolution series come in around the $2500 marker too, I think they were having a sale or something.

    Personally I dont know if I could justify that sort of price tag when you'll probably only use a small portion of the available features for a naturally aspirated Holden 355
    I completely understand what your saying. A modified delco 808 also have 32x32 tables but its only batch fire. They also can control a number of auxiliaries like electric fans, water pumps etc. Could get around the batch fire by doing TB injected using injection plate like this.
    PROFLOW PFETBP4150P EFI CONVERSION FUEL INJECTION PLATE WITH FUEL RAILS POLISHED | eBay

    This still doesnt self learn like the holley though. If i knew i was going to keep the car as a really common combo with anywhere from 400-500hp then i would just cut the hole in the bonnet and use the Holley Sniper. By the time i sold off my existing TB, injectors etc it would cost me bugger all...

  15. #15
    Do you ever leave? paulzig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    16,008

    Default

    Sequential injection isnt really that great if your injector duty cycle is upwards of 75% either, basically they are open most of the time anyway. I saw a video of some guys going sequential with about 40% duty cycle to get greater control of the injector in the upper RPM range, which I thought seemed logical when you think about it.

    With the self learn stuff though, YOU are telling it what to learn, it learns from an AFR target table that someone has decided is correct then an algorithm uses that to change the VE table it cant measure how much power you are making and adjust to make best power. Might be OK to get a baseline tune but you really need dyno or a track to dial it 100%.

    Check top left corner for duty cycle of injectors in this video:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kQG...w_ActQ&index=3

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 18-02-2015, 12:24 AM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 29-10-2010, 05:15 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-08-2010, 09:56 AM
  4. 600-650 holley
    By injectdQ in forum Wanted (cars & items)
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 17-06-2008, 06:07 PM
  5. [Melb] My Holley 600 (swap for a 465 holley or 525 Demon)
    By Rzeractor in forum For Sale Items
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-05-2007, 06:23 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •