Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Holley HP EFI

Quote Originally Posted by paulzig View Post
    Thats who the marketing is aimed towards I guess. Plug N Play, EZ, self tune, auto tune, minimal wiring, no laptops/computers etc.
    Unfortunately when it comes to tweaking carbs i fall into that category as well LOL

As good as this self tuning all sounds. A poor tune can kill the best of engines. To me itís something left to the experts.

Iíd hate to think Iíve spend $$$ on a good engine and killed it cause of a gimmick (IMO). Or alternatively left 50hp on the table making me question, FARK I built a nugget.

Quote Originally Posted by cava454 View Post
    As good as this self tuning all sounds. A poor tune can kill the best of engines. To me it’s something left to the experts.

I’d hate to think I’ve spend $$$ on a good engine and killed it cause of a gimmick (IMO). Or alternatively left 50hp on the table making me question, FARK I built a nugget.
    You cant keep the self tune on constantly, it takes up processor power to always read and adjust the tune, after a while it is only adjusting 'noise' in the sensor readings anyway. The tune is EXACTLY the same as doing a carby with a distributor tune except you have more control of when and where you want the fuel and spark. With self tune all you are really setting is the AFR target (or comes preset I dont know how the fitech works). You are still relying on your own or someone elses philosophy or theory when it comes to the tune. My way is smash some timing and fuel in, so like a caveman or gorilla style tune.

You can change the AFR targets on the FiTech.

Quote Originally Posted by hq308 View Post
    You can change the AFR targets on the FiTech.
    Will the Fitech control spark as well?

Will the Fitech control spark as well?
    The 600hp and 1200hp ones do. Mine has it but I havenít connected it yet. I plan to try it down the track when I get some time.

casual poster

I think each situation needs to be taken on its merits. If your building a $20k plus engine and wanting to extract every single ounce of power then your probably going to get a good quality ecu or carby and have it tuned accordingly. However, if you have a fresh engine mild engine then maybe your happy to spend $1500-$2000 on a TBI system that is all in one, easy to set up and used and more than adequate for your 350-400hp at the engine. Most of these systems are laptop tunable as well so no reason you can't get the car to a tuner and spin them up for a double check.

My current engine would make around 350hp at the flywheel at best and the delco is fine for now. I'd like an extra 100hp in N/A which I should achieve with some head work and intake (already procured), new cam (still deciding if i go street solid or hydraulic roller) and retune. Again, the delco can probably handle this as well but sequential injection would be better and modernise the engine to an extent and i already have a VT distributor. Holley, Haltech and Megaquirt are all probably more user friendly than the 25 plus year old delco. My current thinking is that i will replace the delco 808 at some stage so it may we well be early on in the piece if budget allows.

Quote Originally Posted by Toohey86 View Post
    I think each situation needs to be taken on its merits. If your building a $20k plus engine and wanting to extract every single ounce of power then your probably going to get a good quality ecu or carby and have it tuned accordingly. However, if you have a fresh engine mild engine then maybe your happy to spend $1500-$2000 on a TBI system that is all in one, easy to set up and used and more than adequate for your 350-400hp at the engine. Most of these systems are laptop tunable as well so no reason you can't get the car to a tuner and spin them up for a double check.

My current engine would make around 350hp at the flywheel at best and the delco is fine for now. I'd like an extra 100hp in N/A which I should achieve with some head work and intake (already procured), new cam (still deciding if i go street solid or hydraulic roller) and retune. Again, the delco can probably handle this as well but sequential injection would be better and modernise the engine to an extent and i already have a VT distributor. Holley, Haltech and Megaquirt are all probably more user friendly than the 25 plus year old delco. My current thinking is that i will replace the delco 808 at some stage so it may we well be early on in the piece if budget allows.
    If you want to modernise it, piss the distributor off (well keep the hall effect for cam sync and make a cover) then do a crank trigger and coil packs like an LS all running sequential same as injection. That megasquirt I have has the options for that and thats my plan.

casual poster

If you want to modernise it, piss the distributor off (well keep the hall effect for cam sync and make a cover) then do a crank trigger and coil packs like an LS all running sequential same as injection. That megasquirt I have has the options for that and thats my plan.
    haha or just sell my 355 holden and drop an LS1 or LS2 in there?

I know what you mean though. could maybe run coil on plug to neaten the installation up and take it to the next level?

haha or just sell my 355 holden and drop an LS1 or LS2 in there?

I know what you mean though. could maybe run coil on plug to neaten the installation up and take it to the next level?
    Yeah the LS coil packs are cheap, couple of hundred will get you a used set. If you buy and MSD or Crane ignition etc you've spent more anyway.

if its already efi why change? the delco is better than people give credit for. delcohacking mods make it easier. sure sequntial be nice but is it worth the cost for your engine?
    11 second E85 bottle fed boat anchor

Quote Originally Posted by EVL253 View Post
    if its already efi why change? the delco is better than people give credit for. delcohacking mods make it easier. sure sequntial be nice but is it worth the cost for your engine?
    Does the delco datalog? Auto Tune?

Its not that much to get a system that does sequential fuel/spark and controls the accessories, plus all the other stuff like nitrous, boost, 3 stage rev limiters, staged injection etc... The datalogger alone is worth the price of admission.

Datalog with the delco, sure can, put in the NVRam module and you can live tune too as you drive.

There are also stand alone dataloggers of which I have one but they were only a limited run item and sold out but sometimes one will come up for sale. Bloody brilliant though

casual poster

I have a modified real time delco but have always had trouble getting it to work property. Even when i got it tuned last time after i changed the exhaust, the tuner just went back to the old delco ecu (cost me an hr on the dyno as he had previously tuned that ecu which is not too bad). It runs well at the moment but i was just looking at maybe getting a better ecu for more power in the future that is more user friendly.

I am looking for the benefit of some self tuning as its difficult for me to get to a tuners workshop during their business hrs. If a self tune can get close enough i may be able to make some small changes myself or when i can make it to a dyno i can drive the car there rather than having to send it on the back of a truck or nurse it there worried that i will cause some engine damage. Sequential injection is a bonus and from what i have read on here is really whats required for a holden v8 with a single plane manifold.

Sequential injection is a bonus and from what i have read on here is really whats required for a holden v8 with a single plane manifold.
    Just make sure you size your injectors so that sequential actually has a benefit, 75%+ duty cycle means the injector is open the majority of the time so sequential isnt even working as RPM's rise

Thread Information