Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Holley HP EFI

Quote Originally Posted by delcowizzid View Post
    Throttle body injection you may as well just run a carb they still wet the whole inlet manifold like a carby the only plus is they are a little easier to get a fuel curve than a carb .self learning is a really a gimmick it's pretty much like getting an eBay chip for a delco 808 and letting the o2 sensor slowly correct bad fueling .and you still have to tune a timing curve yourself.lot of bad stories of the fitech etc from the joe blow public just expecting bolt on greatness and racing reviews from the people who have all the help in the world from the tech department due to knowing people
    The TBI units like FITech etc are better than you give them credit for. I've always had carbs but last year I got a FiTech and for the most part it was just bolt on and go, the only tuning I've had to do was for starting and idle but that's more to do with the fact my cam has a narrow 106LC.

A lot of the issues people have with these systems are things like exhaust leaks, vacuum leaks, wiring issues, mechanical issues or just poorly set up fuel systems.

casual poster

Quote Originally Posted by delcowizzid View Post
    Why the need for sequential are you trying to pass emissions or run lpg injection or something.also you have go watch what kind of inlet manifold you use with the bolt on tbi units they don't like dual plane manifolds at all they run like a bag of shot for some reason
    The car actually does have LPG injection but i am planning to remove that. I find in its current start the car is just little bit better on petrol and LPG and now that the car is on club plates i don't drive it very often so i don't get the fuel savings.

I remember reading on this forum a while ago that TK and a few others said that for a single plane manifold that sequential is safer as in batch fire there is a lot more potential for cylinders to lean out (as in fuel getting robbed by adjacent cylinders as its sitting in the manifold for longer). The delco i have currently is fine with the harrop dual plan its just weather i stick with that or not.

I have also heard that dual plane is no good for TBI (engine masters did a carb vs TBI comparison which highlights this). But then on the holley forums they say its not a problem. I can only imagine that as per anything it would have to be in the tune otherwise theoretically a carby wouldn't work on dual plane either.

For what it's worth, my FiTech TBI is on an Edelbrock air gap dual plane and works fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hq308 View Post
    For what it's worth, my FiTech TBI is on an Edelbrock air gap dual plane and works fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Does your airgap have the cut down divider or an open spacer on there or is it fully divided?

casual poster

It sounds like your experience with TBI have been all positive hq. For simplicity i think that fitech and holley sniper look really good. They also have very clean installs with minimal wires. What fitech unit did you get hq and roughly how much was it? They are cheaper as well and i can sell my existing TB which will help to reduce costs. Might have to start looking for a walkinshaw bonnet scoop..

If you want EFi do the multipoint, TBI is an attempt at an electronic carburetor.

Quote Originally Posted by paulzig View Post
    Does your airgap have the cut down divider or an open spacer on there or is it fully divided?
    Fully divided, no spacer. Tried a 1" tapered spacer but didn't seem to make any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Toohey86 View Post
    It sounds like your experience with TBI have been all positive hq. For simplicity i think that fitech and holley sniper look really good. They also have very clean installs with minimal wires. What fitech unit did you get hq and roughly how much was it? They are cheaper as well and i can sell my existing TB which will help to reduce costs. Might have to start looking for a walkinshaw bonnet scoop..
    The TBI system works good for me but I now see it as a stepping stone to a good aftermarket multi point set up at some stage. If it's your first experience with EFI it's good to learn with but it's no comparison to something like a Haltech or Holley (non-sniper) and it is a compromise compared to multipoint.

I have the 30004 600hp power adder model which are around $2K locally but you need to add a fuel system on top of that.

There's a good group on Facebook for Fitech called "Fitech Owners Group"

casual poster

I think the TBI self learning systems will be an interesting space over the next few years as they become more refined. I also think it really depends on your budget. I asked about the Holley HP EFi as i think price wise its pretty good value for money. Other people might think $2500 plus injectors and TB is too expensive and its cheaper to use a carby or some other system. The 1200 sniper efi will be good i think. Steve Morris has a few youtube video's of testing it with boosted engines.

I would be really interested to hear of any other experiences with multi-point self learning systems like holley HP.

Quote Originally Posted by Toohey86 View Post
    I think the TBI self learning systems will be an interesting space over the next few years as they become more refined. I also think it really depends on your budget. I asked about the Holley HP EFi as i think price wise its pretty good value for money. Other people might think $2500 plus injectors and TB is too expensive and its cheaper to use a carby or some other system. The 1200 sniper efi will be good i think. Steve Morris has a few youtube video's of testing it with boosted engines.

I would be really interested to hear of any other experiences with multi-point self learning systems like holley HP.
    That TBI stuff is a fad for some reason, and the market is overcrowded in my opinion. The self learning thing is only for convenience, you have to actually tell it what to learn all it does is saves you time entering numbers into cells. I have an OEM GM computer running the LS and its fine no self learn

I didnt buy an EFI controller thinking Im going to make a shitload more power than a carburetor, I bought it because it was cheaper than buying a standalone datalogger for a carby car plus it can control a lot of other stuff.

I donít think youíll make any more power with a TBI set up but at least in my case it starts and drives much better. The throttle has a much more linear feel than a carb too.

Data logging is another benefit as well.

I don’t think you’ll make any more power with a TBI set up but at least in my case it starts and drives much better. The throttle has a much more linear feel than a carb too.

Data logging is another benefit as well.
    I seem to recall a engine masters episode where they tested TBI against carby (and remember these guys are experienced carby tuners) on a dyno and the TBI made more power than the carby overall plus the benefits as hq308 has stated.

Quote Originally Posted by TonnerGuy View Post
    I seem to recall a engine masters episode where they tested TBI against carby (and remember these guys are experienced carby tuners) on a dyno and the TBI made more power than the carby overall plus the benefits as hq308 has stated.
    To be fair they should have gone to a carburetor builder and got one done to the specs of the engine and then (if needed) fine tune the setup a little, that would have been a fairer test. Im sure you could dig up tests that show a carburetor making more power than EFI. or a Multipoint injected system making more power than a TBI.

Yes i agree with that, but i guess for the average Joe TBI is a good option over getting a carb builder to make the carb match the combo.

Quote Originally Posted by TonnerGuy View Post
    Yes i agree with that, but i guess for the average Joe TBI is a good option over getting a carb builder to make the carb match the combo.
    Thats who the marketing is aimed towards I guess. Plug N Play, EZ, self tune, auto tune, minimal wiring, no laptops/computers etc.

Thread Information