casual poster

Default Calling all R/T guru's/enthusiasts. This should get your blood pumping.

G'day. Now that I have your attention, I am chasing some info on price guide on my Nan's (yes Nan's) Genuine R/T E38 Big Tank Charger in the desirable color of Viramin C. Basically Pop purchased the car in June 1973 and was the first registered owner. It had 4000 miles on the clock and now it has an original 82000 miles. The car was a genuine Ex ATCC race car prior to pops purchase and was raced by a privateer named Tony Paul. It was still fitted with roll cage, racing harnesses, side exhaust pipes and bonnet pins when pop purchased it but he removed all except the bonnet pins as it was to be the family daily driver for the next 8 years. He traded a genuine E34 Pacer on the Charger as he needed more power to the family 26ft caravan (I can only imagine how ridiculous it must have looked with the van and all 8 kids hanging out of it plus nan and pop). Over the past 6-7 years I have tracked down at least one driver from 7 of the 10 Charger teams that entered Bathurst in 1971 trying to piece together the cars history. Some of those drivers remembered the car and the driver although some could not. I have entrant lists and programmes that confirm the car being raced at Warwick Farm, Lakeside and Surfers Paradise although we have never tracked down its log books. Leo Geoghegan knows of the car and played a big part in setting the car up for racing back in the day and said that the car was a very competitive car that held its end against the likes of Brock, Morris and Beechy but due to a lack of funds and sponsorship the car was pulled from racing and sold to pop. Leo tells me that Tony Paul was killed in a helicopter accident in 1974. The car was restored almost 20 years ago and has done 1000 miles since. It's 3 speed gearbox is long gone and is fitted with a standard Valiant 4 speed. The engine needs a major overhaul due to a lack of use and servicing and although the paintwork looks great from 5m away, when you get up close you can see light crows feet in all the R/T blackouts including the entire bonnet. Body wise it's good with only one minor rust spot starting in one door. The car is 100% complete and drivable although unregistered and running on a avgas. The car is not currently for sale but could be in the distant future. What do you guys believe something like this might be worth? Cheers Brad.

Mate a car like that should stay in the family, no reason why you can't have a Monaro and a Charger

casual poster

Yes I completely agree. Problem is that nan thinks its worth the ridiculous money that some desirable Aussie muscle cars were fetching 5-7 years ago during the muscle car boom. Six weeks ago I offered nan $65k cash for the car and was happy to leave it stored in her garage until she was ready to let it go, which I think is reasonable considering I have spent about the last 5-6 years tracing the cars racing history and am the only member of the family that is interested in the car for its sentimental value and pedigree and not just for its resale dollar value. Realistically I don't believe its worth a great deal more than that if at all given the work required to get it back to A1 condition and not completely matching numbers (gearbox). Any thoughts?

We just finished a big tank for a guy who paid 75 grand last year and it needed a respray and interior!

Have a family conference (if the rels are on your side) and talk her out of it especially if she doesn't need the cash.

70-90 grand yeah sure, the biggest problem is that no one is really buying at the moment ...

My 2 bob's worth is unless Grandma is eating cat food, keep it! I'm top side of 50 and still own the first car I bought when I was 14. It's a Val too, not a Charger but a 2 door '71. Throughout life, I've had silly offers when people thought I was starving. If you show any signs of struggling, just watch how many maggots offer help in the way of bugger all what the car is worth. Deals a deal, and if both parties are happy with the price, it's a good deal. Money can't buy memories and when you and your kids cruise and you tell stories you remember, Grandad will be smiling. If there is any oil in your blood, you will understand this. I've owned cars I "wanted" but always tired of them and got something else, but the old girl that me and my old man built...it's a stayer, and a hand me down. Oh and if my son sells it when he is struggling, i'll come back and haunt the bastard! Take it or leave my advice, but there are a million people out there that "wish they'd kept that one" This is your chance to do just that.

casual poster

I definitely have oil in my blood. Cars are my life, to me cars have a personality. Realistically at the end of the day the car isn't going anywhere without me advertising and selling it. I have the only copy of the cars race history in existence and I won't be handing it over for the purpose of sale until I have exhausted all avenues to purchase the car myself. Without this documentation nobody in their right mind would pay top dollar for a car such as this without the documentation to back it up. I need to get it professionally valued to show nan it's current value but I'm not even sure where to start. To me the car is a part of the family as it has been in their ownership for 40 years. I am 29 so I grew up around it, always knowing that pop had a race car in his shed without even knowing what it was. I come from a fairly large family and it really gets me down getting in to deep thought about this car and what might happen to it and where it will end up. My immediate family are car people through and through so I understand the maintenance and upkeep of a car like this. I have owned numerous Monaro's and currently own my dream car which is a HK GTS 327 (not genuine 327) and knowing that I am the only member of the entire family willing to hand over any form of hard earned is frustrating. It seems everybody else is sitting back in the hope of inheriting it and will only on sell at a later date.

IMO your offer is a very fair offer. Sounds like your nan is getting greedy. Tell her the saying your 1st offer is always your best offer!

Hey mm ,any updates with the r/t ?........bill

casual poster

I ended up sending the Shannon's valuation team some detailed pics and a long blurb describing the cars history and current condition. They said its worth somewhere between$60,000 and $75,000. It isn't currently for sale as nan strongly believes it's worth $100,000+ but if I can ever get her to realise its truer value I would like to have the chance I put inan offer before anybody . What do you think of their price guide?

Insurance companys always undervalue. It goes without saying really,if those blood suckers put that on it its worth more...... $100,00 is not a lot of money these days. From what I have read about it and what it is and what you have said Munro (family)its worth every penny in my opinion.I would pay money to just go see it mate....i mean HO's,GTS's and their clones are a dime a dozen but not E38"s. I was never a valiant man but I respect their place in Aussie history thats for sure..I'd own one in a blink.

Nan will leave it to you, she,s just dangling the proverbial carrot , what you do is put an extra pillow behind her when she sits & watches t.v.... Also make her a cuppa with biscuits ,it works every time!.........

Greed...un foocking believable.
    She is blood...Would you do it to your kids,sister,mother?
    Typical of today!.
    Dignity,integrity or honesty!!!!....That works every time too.

i know this is an old dig,but interested if there's a happy ending.(pun not intended )

Thread Information