Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default radiator cap or radiator or thermostat problem?

hey guys,when i start me car n let it warm up a bit the radiator top hose is extremly hard and if i want to take the radiator cap of it wants to blow off without the coolant evan being that hot...and when i turn the car of after a fue mins the top radiator hose will be suked like it looks like its been squished tgetha with ya hand n stayed like that if ya no wat i meen....any1 no if this could be a radiator blokage or a radiator cap or thermostat problem? thanx guys

the car doesnt get hot iether on the gauge...sits nicly under half way mostly constantly

Sounds like you have the wrong cap.
    pressure is normal but your pipe sucking flat isnt.
    Water expands when heated and your cap lets some of the pressure out and when the water cools again it is ment to suck water back from your over flow or some air back in, depends on what system is on your car, your cap isnt letting happen.

The pressure is there to stop the water boiling, water under pressure has a higher boiling point

^^^ agreed, Definitely sounds like you have the wrong radiator cap or its stuffed !
    Usually a 14 lb cap is more than enough but it must also have a small softly sprung check valve in the centre !

As stated - the cap should allow coolant to flow into the overflow bottle when pressure is in excess of 14 lbs and then as it cools the check valve allows the coolant from the overflow bottle to be easily sucked back into the cooling system.
    Last edited by Mickss355; 05-05-2011 at 03:36 AM.

check your overflow pipe and overflow tank for blockage even possible the filler neck. Also with the cap off check the little flat disc on the bottom is free and ever so slightly srung loaded.

cheers guys ill get a nother cap tday n see wat happens..cheers

no chnage with a new cap ay..damit spuin..its a 15psi 100kpa cap...duno wat is goin on...the thermostat in there i no is a lil old..bud duno if that would do this...can it by my overflow is to full or something?might have to check the overflow lines like u guys siad aswell

just take the hose off the filler neck and blow through it, you will probably find its blocked.

The thermostat wont cause this problem, Must be the over flow hose blocked or the over flow bottle has a heap of sediment in it.
    Clean both and make sure the vent hole in the over flow bottle is clear, it should be a small hole in the lid

thanx guys..legends...yeh cant blow thru my overflow hose so it must be bloked..time for a new one i thinks...wats your opinions on them desert cooler radiators also guys?i have an oportunity to by one of me mate fairly cheap

They apparently work OK but i think its an unnecessary expense in your case - these days car cooling systems in late model cars are more than adequate.

A few years ago i had the pleasure or repair quite a few new copper brass ones. Unless they have picked up the standrad from them i would steer clear. They looked like they were assembled by two year old and their parts were poor quality, this once again are the copper/brass ones. Their ally ones look to be ok.

yeh didnt think it was realy needed..but for 150$ haha thats almost nothing...if its gonna be a waste of time i wont..thats beer money for the weekend...was pretty much lookn into it coz it looked quite nice in the engine bay but if its not gonna be a better radiator i wont bother i rkn...yeh its the ally one nice crome edges around it n that

depends on what bling means to you. If your current one is doing its job changing it wont acheive much in terms of performance, it will increase cooling performance if the system needs it.

Quote Originally Posted by benji_vq_hsv View Post
    yeh didnt think it was realy needed..but for 150$ haha thats almost nothing...if its gonna be a waste of time i wont..thats beer money for the weekend...was pretty much lookn into it coz it looked quite nice in the engine bay but if its not gonna be a better radiator i wont bother i rkn...yeh its the ally one nice crome edges around it n that
    Here's a thought, fit the "cool" looking one, and keep the original as a spare.

BH

Thread Information