Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Rowan Carter did my landcruiser, great bloke and knows his stuff, he might be able to help you ?, click the link for info.

Home

I got it in writing from vicroads

Dear Brett,

Thank you for your email regarding purchasing a vehicle from interstate with an updated motor. I hope that my email gives you the clarification that you are seeking.

In reference to your enquiry, the requirements will primarily depend on whether the new engine number is recorded on the registration record on the national database. If the registration record has been updated in New South Wales, this should result in the national database being amended. While you will not be required to obtain a new engineers report if this is the case, the original engineers report must be kept with the vehicle.

If the national database has not been updated with the different engine number, you will be required to undertake the necessary actions to ensure that the vehicle can be registered with this engine. This may need an engineers report, with the requirements depending on the differences in the new motor to the recorded motor.
    There's more to it but I wont put the persons details up as it's of no relevance to the thread.
    Good outcome though.
    Last edited by PRO-GMH; 22-03-2011 at 07:16 PM.

There is no way that VicRoads will accept a Interstate Modified Vehicle Plate or engineers Certificate. Never have never will, if anyone has got away with it that is because they presented the car with only the RWC and transfer papers but failed to mention the engineering done. There are a few interstate engineers that are VicRoads approved but they will only be accepted if the reports are done on the VicRoads forms. This is the relevant section: Notifying VicRoads of changes & modifications : VicRoads

Yesterday tried to transfer registration from Qld engineered car to Victoria had Blue Mod plates from Qld and all paperwork including Victorian Roadworthy Certificate, VicRoads inspector not only knocked back the registration but was instructed from Head Office to place a note on the VIN number which requires the owner to present this car with a VASS certificate before registration is approved. I guess they did this so that no other VicRoads office would "accidently" register the car.

Do you ever leave?

Quote Originally Posted by ernysp76 View Post
    There is no way that VicRoads will accept a Interstate Modified Vehicle Plate or engineers Certificate. Never have never will, if anyone has got away with it that is because they presented the car with only the RWC and transfer papers but failed to mention the engineering done. There are a few interstate engineers that are VicRoads approved but they will only be accepted if the reports are done on the VicRoads forms. This is the relevant section: Notifying VicRoads of changes & modifications : VicRoads

Yesterday tried to transfer registration from Qld engineered car to Victoria had Blue Mod plates from Qld and all paperwork including Victorian Roadworthy Certificate, VicRoads inspector not only knocked back the registration but was instructed from Head Office to place a note on the VIN number which requires the owner to present this car with a VASS certificate before registration is approved. I guess they did this so that no other VicRoads office would "accidently" register the car.
    x 2, you'll never get it rego'd in this state without all the relevant paperwork completed, just basic common knowledge, something that is sadly lacking at times in these forums.

casual poster

Quote Originally Posted by ernysp76 View Post
    There are a few interstate engineers that are VicRoads approved but they will only be accepted if the reports are done on the VicRoads forms. .
    Mine is. Not that it matters, build will be finished, engineered and registered in SA anyway.

What's this national database they speak of? lol.

The only national database which records information for road traffic authority matters is the WOVR.

In regards to the way you posed the question to VicRoads and the way it is interpreted will determine the answer given.

In the email you received it mentions 'updated motor'. How did you specifically ask the question?

To me it seems like you mentioned putting in a later model 6 cylinder into a Torana. If this was the case, it would be taken as you are fitting an engine that was optioned for that model vehicle, but from a later model car, ie: VK EFI 6 cylinder into a Torana.

If an engine has been fitted that was not an option for that vehicle specifically, then it will require engineering certification relevant to the state it is to be registered in.

In Victoria, this falls under the VASS (Vehicle Assessment Signatory Scheme), which is similar to a engineers certificate but is more broad and does not concentrate on 1 modification for approval, but rather the whole car inspected to ensure it is safe to use and falls within the registering guidelines currently in place. This includes, but is not limited to; braking capacity, emission control, clearance height and structural integrity. Additionally, once a VASS certificate has been obtained, a Victorian certificate of roadworthiness will need to be obtained prior to VicRoads registration. Once approval has been given and paperwork submitted, a notation will be made on the VicRoads system stating that the vehicle has met VASS approval and will also be marked on your registration renewal form.

There is no national database for engineering related matters as each state has different legislation regarding vehicle modifications and what can be changed on a car and what cannot be changed on a car.

An RB30ET in a Torana will need VASS approval prior to certificate of roadworthiness and VicRoads registration. (Yes, holding a valid interstate engineering certificate may make this process easier.)

It might be easier to either pull the turbo gear off and get VASS approval naturally aspirated, remove the existing engine and replace it temporarily with a factory fitted engine available for that model to gain certification of roadworthiness and VicRoads registration or, and I don't recommend this; remove and destroy the identification tagging on your vehicle and replace them with a same model VicRoads registered vehicle.

Hope this helps.

Banned

have not imported or modify thousands of vehciles ecta ectra,BUT in 2013 I was stupid enough(after taking notice of posted threads) to purchase a 1984 corvette that was changed to RHD in QLD. THE VETTE WAS PLATED CORRECTLY BY THE FIRM THAT DID THE CONVERSION,EVERY THING IN ORDER , but when I took all paperwork ect to the RTA of nsw I was quickly told to piss off and get it engineered for NSW roads this I did ($ 4,000.00) lovely dollars and many months of cross checking between my engineer and the QLD converters ( every nut, bolt, steering rack, weld ect identified and recorded) and then back to the good old RTA for rego ,I am not the only person to cop this crap so be careful and CHECK ,CHECK AND CHECK , BILL

Do you ever leave?

Quote Originally Posted by doubledeal bill View Post
    have not imported or modify thousands of vehciles ecta ectra,BUT in 2013 I was stupid enough(after taking notice of posted threads) to purchase a 1984 corvette that was changed to RHD in QLD. THE VETTE WAS PLATED CORRECTLY BY THE FIRM THAT DID THE CONVERSION,EVERY THING IN ORDER , but when I took all paperwork ect to the RTA of nsw I was quickly told to piss off and get it engineered for NSW roads this I did ($ 4,000.00) lovely dollars and many months of cross checking between my engineer and the QLD converters ( every nut, bolt, steering rack, weld ect identified and recorded) and then back to the good old RTA for rego ,I am not the only person to cop this crap so be careful and CHECK ,CHECK AND CHECK , BILL
    hate to tell you this....but "WE TOLD YOU SO!!!"
    most info on these forums is just crap and great entertainment for when bored at home. unfortunately, whenever there is a good member in here that know his stuff, shares and give advice, its usually thrown out the door or complained about by beer swillers, then the "hero boy racer mods that are old enough to know better" come along and say their piece, then the good forum contributor leaves and dunn come back... all you got then is the dreamers and wanna be be boyd coddington car builders that get other guys to build their car and take the credit themselves...when exposed, they cry to moderators, the troopers then hit their party lights on their X chasers, you get banned....
    but sure, go ahead and listen to do as other on here do!!!

may be a 4 yr old thread, but still VERY relevant, especially with todays rules and regs
    Last edited by cbkey; 09-07-2015 at 08:04 PM. Reason: pfft, why bother explaining?? no one will care

Had a friend who bought an ex ambulance from Brisbane which had the chassis lengthened to fit the ambulance body,went to register it here in SA they knocked it back.

Instead of making a new thread, I'll just revive this one as it has some info. I have just bought a Landcruiser 60 with a 350 chev/t700 in it. After some sniffing around with the previous rego number it comes up on Vicroads as being last registered in 2016 with the Chev. I know I could probably find out the info from Vicroads but has anybody else re rego'd a car without an Engineer's certificate? This one hasn't been engineered, it makes ya wonder how they changed the engine number lol.

Part of the furniture

HI
    First DO NOT speak to the wrong people at RTA.
    Legally once approved in one state no problems in another . Providing vehicle unchanged and matches engineering certificates details .
    Yes In this day and age U might still have to go to court to prove this .

Yes the Police are drones and still can book u if they are poorly trained . Back to court for u . Again.

Believe it or not some vehicles require 2 registrations that's how F****ed the system is . Currently there are laws around this as well if u are in the no.

Lawyer up with an engineer .

Thread Information