Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default my 1975 HJ Build / Conversion

Hi Guys,

well i have got back into the car building game after stopping about 5 years ago.

Doing up a kingswood has been my dream build since i was 15. Now finally obtaining a kingy i can start this process.

I am starting with the driveline conversion. atm it is a 6cylinder and ofcourse i want a V8 transplanted into the pig.

So just a few questions.

Atm i just want to the get conversion done with the minimum to get the car mobile again. Spoken to a couple of people and they have said i will need the following straight up

Motor (& Accessories)
    Gearbox
    Tail Shaft
    Diff

should these four main parts get the car at least driveable. Of course motor includes the accessories like starts, alternator etc.

thanks guys really appreciated any input you have as i have not built an older car yet... so i am in the learning process here aswel.

here is the beast

[img]http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/2927/kingyl.jpg[/img]
    Last edited by GoodyHJ; 18-10-2010 at 09:48 AM. Reason: adding pic

Auto, manual ?. Reason is you may need a new/different shifter. You'll also need radiator.
    A minute of thinking can save hours of doing

Do you ever leave?

Possibly also gearbox crossmember and maybe speedo cable and clutch pedal, dependant upon what gearbox you use. And accelerator cable.

Thanks for the fast replies guys...

Looking at using turbo 350 / 400...

Do you ever leave?

Either fits easily, and will use standard parts as both were standard fitment to HQ-WB.

Is the car a T-bar now?

yeah it is already a t bar auto...

shame really to get rid of the old 6 in it as it has only done little kms... (45000) but my vision of what i want requires the V8... im hoping to the start the full conversion and paint / interior change in the new year... so i will defo keep you guys updated...

casual poster

Gday mate the cheapest V8 option is 253 with a trimatic , with this setup you can use the tailshaft you have , the banjo diff will be ok for cruising , crossmembers the same , your T bar shifter wont have to have the linkage swaped to the other side like it will with the turbo 350 or 400 , your speedo cable can be used . So you will need a V8 radiator , V8 exhaust system , V8 throttle cable , oil cooler lines that run from the auto to the radiator , new engine mounts you can reuse the rear one if its still ok , and I would put new springs and shocks in the front end and a HZ swaybar to tighten it up a bit .

Do you ever leave?

Agree with above. Personally I'd look out for a 308 and trimatic and just find a Salisbury. Rest is as above.

mm, be a bit more specific as to exactly what you want out of the car and youll get heaps more relevant advice

ACH-ZED... more specific, well i have done up newers cars in the past (VL Turbo - made street commodores feature, VT SS, VX Wagon) the ss and VL were powerful cars. All i want the kingswood for is a nice family cruise car that i can take out on the weekends mainly, that has some sort of grunt.

i have been looking around and been put in contact with a fella down the coast that does fully rebuilt 350 chevs, ready to bolt in and run for $3500 that has approx 310hp. He also does t400 gear boxes for approx $600. I have found a shop that will make a strong tailshaft for approx $500 and i have spoken to aussie diffs at currumbin to build me a LSD 10 bolt that will be suitable for this combo for approx $1000.

with all that sorted i just need to source an aluminum radiator price and auto trans cooler and i should be right to start organising it all.

Once the driveline is all done then the saving begins again for the custom paint and interior to be started. im giving myself 2011 to do this car up. so im hoping by approx this time next year i will have the car Chev'd, painted, interiored and completed by approx this time next year.... if all goes to plan of course.

Do you ever leave?

Now the answer is easier.

Get your Chev and TH400 - make sure it is the short rear extension housing TH400 like HQ-HZ had standard.

Get a gearbox crossmember from a HJ-HZ with 308/TH400.

I'd just get a 1-tonner tailshaft and shorten it, you'll need a TH400 yoke too.

When you get your diff done get the builder to put a 1-tonner yoke on it. HQ with 350 SBC had 1-tonner yoke on their diffs, and it'll then bolt to the 1-tonner tailshaft.

Also get a T-bar out of a HQ-HZ with TH400, goes straight in where the trimatic one was and works with standard console.

Greg at Clkassicozwreck in Newcastle will be able to sell you all this stuff and freight it.

You'll need Chev into HQ-WB engine mount adapters.

Aussie Desert Cooler sell suitable radiators. SBC's are hard to cool, so go as big as you can. For a cruiser I'd use a mechanical clutch fan, rare Spares sell repro shrouds for HQ with 350 so if you use a traditional HQ-HZ style radiator it'll work. Others use Ford twin thermos with success too.

I'd also get an external transmission oil cooler.

V8 HJ-HZ throttle cable are brand new NOS on Ebay for about $40.

Extractors for this combo are readily available.

You'll need V8 front springs and bigger sway bar too.

that is perfect... thanks heaps for that response... i will start chasing up all the stuff..

the fella that has the gears boxes said if i get a WH Statesment gearbox mount it will fit...

and he will be throwing in custom made engine mounts when i get the engine and box from him.. so that part is sorted aswel.

thanks heaps once again.

i have a yoke for t400 and a centre console(cream colour, goes with doeskin interior i think) plus cable type t400 shifter if your interested. PM me.
    A minute of thinking can save hours of doing

Do you ever leave?

No you want an original HQ-HZ sedan/coupe/wagon/statesman TH400 gearbox crossmember. Bolts straight in. Just use the right rubber mount under the box.
    The engine mount adapters are pretty cheap, and allow you to use original HQ-VL V8 engine mount rubbers. Get steel ones if you can. I wouldn't bother with custom ones.

The cable shifter ^^ above is a good idea if your tunnel isn't cut, but as it will aleady be cut for a rod type T-bar just replace it with a TH400 example. You can also modify the trimatic one by knocking out the roll pins and swapping the lever to the other side - this is the only real difference.

hqtunna4me... tried to PM you but did not work... so i emailed you... can you please send me some pics to the email i provided you... thanks mate...

Thread Information