Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

very informative thread - much appreciate you sharing your knowledge & experience.
    Once I build my shed, I plan on stripping the VH back to metal and getting it resprayed. The guy I originally purchased the car from did a bad job on the prep, and several years down the track it's starting to flake off and show up in many places.

I don't think I'm confident enough to spray the car, but I was planning on saving myself some $$ by stripping the paint myself, leaving the panel beating, any rust repairs and respray to the professionals. I didn't even know what/how to sand or strip the paint, so the preparation tips have been very handy.

cheers
    you can't put a price on FUN

casual poster

much appreciate you doing this i wanna respray my tonner soon and this is going to help out a hell of a lot.

cheers

Last edited by EV1LVT; 03-08-2010 at 12:43 PM.

then i hang them back on and give the outside panels a good going over with high fill (ive remasked jamms and sills at this point) and i block all my panels flat on the car.

Sure is usefull, how does one mask up gaps in doors,bonnet and front gaurds from behind?

Cheers Dave
    Last edited by CNCDAVO; 16-07-2010 at 04:08 PM.

casual poster

Last edited by wildss; 19-07-2010 at 09:39 PM.

Thumbs up

With the painting inside thing,.. Keep all panels off for now,..do ALL prep on all panels, inside and outside till totally finished, thats all boging, all priming and all puttying, do every thing till its ready for final rub down and paint,..(this is main body of car and all panels), at this point you dont really have to spray primer or touch bog anymore, cause its all done.

Then for the insides, buy your colour in SINGLE pack lacquer, lets say your painting your car red, so buy about 2 litres of 1 pak red.

Sand back all the insides of all internals with 400 grit, then paint all internals with the red not heaps of coats, just till you have coverage, then one coat more. Next day lightly re-sand all of the red with about 600 grit just so its 70% dull. Thats all inside the doors, Jams, under bonnet, under boot, inside guards etc.

Take all bolts, drop them in thinners for 2 days, then wire brush them so they are basicly bare metal (you dont want paint on your bolts),..Then put all the panels back on the car, and spend massive time aligning them so they are perfect. If they are not perfect, now is the time to make them perfect, you may have to lever panels by using a big flat blade screw driver,..you may need to hit panels inn using a rubber mallett, you may have to sometimes use a steel hammer to knock edges in a touch,. if so you may have to sand and bog over the 2 pak primer to help align panels with the aid of a bit of bog (remember putting bog over sanded 2 pak primer undercoat is GOOD!) but not over 1 pak.

After panels are perfectly aligned, you then go around and do your touch ups and repairs on the areas you had to bash around a bit.. Then what have you got?...When you open all the doors and bonnet etc, it's all red inside, and ITS ALREADY SANDED INSIDE!,..and outside is ready for a rub-back and paint.

This is the point when you sand the whole car with a block and wet & Dry,.while your at it you sand off the 1 pak laquer red on the out side (when you were spraying the inside red),..when the whole outside is totally sanded and as you go, make sure all the sanding sludge is washed away from the inside door Jams.

What we have now is,..outside is ready for paint,..inside is already painted and sanded, (remember we did that before)

Next step is to mask up, then totally finish painting the outside,.. then immediatly open up all doors, bonnet and boot, and spray all the insides, this makes sure the insides are nice and wet and glossy,..you will get a bit of over spray back on the out sides, which will kill a bit of gloss, but then when you 2000 grit the out side and buff it up you have high gloss inside and out.

If you really dont want to buff the out side, (but I think you will always have to be cause of bits of shit in the paint) you simply open the doors and paint inside, PRIOR to painting the out side, doing it this way your insides come up looking like factory ( clean painted bolts and very high gloss insides) the bolts look like they have never been off the car, and the panels will be aligned perfectly,..Do once and do properly.

With regards to buffing of 2 pak,..Its another day of rubbing back with 1200 and 2000 and another day of buffing, but if your painting in a not so perfect environment, you don't really have a choice,..but you can end up with an immaculate finish if buffed properly, it gets as flat as glass!
    But if you have a booth and a perfect environment for painting and you are a very good painter, you can get away with no buffing, or very little, Its not easy to do. There may be a lot of disputes in this area!

casual poster

Last edited by wildss; 19-07-2010 at 09:39 PM.

casual poster

Last edited by wildss; 19-07-2010 at 09:40 PM.

casual poster

Last edited by wildss; 19-07-2010 at 09:40 PM.

[quote=wildss;345442]^^^2 pak on an older car and the bolts look liek they've never been touched will ovviously look good but any enthusiast will know what the real deal is.

Enthusiast says, " See how these doors like like they've never been off!, well let me tell you, they have been off!, but he just make it look like they haven't" lol,lol
    Last edited by stroker355; 16-07-2010 at 11:24 PM.

Thread Information