Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011

EV1LVT - You inspired a bloke that hasn't had the time nor inclination to learn again the intricacies of painting, but wanting to lay down the paint myself. but now I got a small problem after following your thread, How do I finish..

This thread has been the most informative for a back yarder like me and for someone to give his knowledge free of charge is a rare thing, I dont need all the tech jargon, just a method that works that will give a solid job and that I can say I did myself. Thanks

Rob

Rob

casual poster

this thread has guided me through my painting process too. from filing to finishing..........i say get it happening again. maybe people could post pics up of their results based on infor provided in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by EV1LVT View Post
    if it helps a couple blokes even just one, then well was worth it to me...
    Mate I have bookmarked this thread as I am repainting my car for the first time at the moment. Hope you can find the time and passion for this thread again as I know there are a lot of blokes including myself who are following it. Would even be good just to see the picutres on the first post updated.

Top effort for what you've put together thus far. Keep up the good work and it's blokes like you that make AussieV8 such a good forum for knowledge and learning.

Ok Guys, thanks to this thread here is the fruits of EV1LVT's advice. I followed as far as I could and enlisted the advice from the local automative paint supplier here in Perth for the finishing.

For the record this was step by step upto the last bit of info available.

Is it perfect...Nahh, but for me it's spot on.

Thanks EV1LVT

[IMG]http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb370/capdat/IMG00110-20101018-1818.jpg[/IMG]

love it mate! sorry about the lack of updates, i havent been working on my car for several months, ive been busy woth work. but will finish the thread off over the summer as warmer weather lets me get in the shed.
    really hats off to ya for having the nuts to have a go. every time you paint you get better so now that you have one under your belt you are already leaps and bounds in front of others.
    I think it looks spot on! and watch how many of ya mates start asking you to paint for them

Thx EV

any advice on painting the plastic side mirrors, got some new ones

same deal as the car, but head to the paint shop and get some plastic etch primer first, and some flexaid, you add it to the usual paint mix and it gives it a bit more stretch, if you tell them you painting plastic they will point you in the right direction, otherwise everything else is same as you did already. bit of primer rub it smooth colour and clear if its metallic (sorry couldnt tell)

Mirrors done and dusted, good blokes down at MLV Paints always helpful.

Do you have any pointers on the de-nibbing process? obviously painting in a factory unit that is used daily leaves a fair bit of contaminents in the air and has settled into the clear coat. I also have a few depressions (like a tiny drop of water dropped and hollowed out the centre). I have gone over it with the 2000 wet and dry and tried to then cut out as much as I could with the cutting compound (Q something) but am a bit hesitant to go to far as I have already burnt through one area on the nose cone tryin to smooth out a small run that need touching up and that has taken me for ever to fix.

Its a metallic custom paint that is purpley blue in colour. basically purple in artificail light and blue in natural light. awsome colour. It's a colour the boys at MLV had been playin with and happened to be what I was lookin for so I got a good deal on it as they wanted to see the colour layed out.

For you all who are starting yours for the first time attempt at painting (like me) invest in a decent gun and decent variable speed buff - it makes a hell of a difference on both (oh and definatly a decent mask - and use it, you'll be awake alnight coughin up paint and clear coat and trying to hack up the rest all day otherwise - read; lesson learnt hard way).

Heres the start to now pics http://www.aussiev8.com.au/conversio...r-project.html

Thread Information