Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default a painters guide to show quality paint?

Last edited by EV1LVT; 03-08-2010 at 02:35 PM.

Technical info and images always helps mate even professionals go back to the book sometimes, im sure if you spent the time to do this there will be plenty of grateful people out there. good on ya
    IF IT DONT KILL YOU IT ONLY MAKES YOU STRONGER

The Monaro Club of Victoriahttp://www.monaroclubvic.asn.au

shovel built race engines onlimiter's Avatar

awsome ive always wanted to learn how to paint a car!
    ill be awaiting with abaited breath!
    they say bare metalresprays are the best to get?
    rev the chev kev!

Last edited by EV1LVT; 03-08-2010 at 02:35 PM.

Great idea! You never stop learning in this trade as new products and techniques come in. I have been painting for 35 years, never done anything else. When my apprentices went through collage they always came back with little tricks I hadnt seen before. I wish you had done this a month ago cos I just finished painting our Chev in Candy Tangerine / black two tone that Im happy with, but when I read your thread Im bound to see something I hadnt thought of. Look forward with interest. Cheers. Grey haired painter .

Part of the furniture shamizzle's Avatar

I know very little about the painting trade. I learned lots when the VB was painted, and I'm sure there's a heap of useful info I will definitely use one day.
    But the guy who painted the VB (good friend, painted in garage) taught himself, think my car was the third full car he'd done. He's learned all he knows from reading info like this and asking people questions. I'll definitely point him in the direction of this thread.

A couple of weeks?? Boy are you in for a shock.
    HDT Brock Calais

Having worked with Beach to bare metal, fix and prime my car i'm in awe of how many little steps are taken, how many different techniques we used in different areas of the car to achieve the same effect. Different tools, methods etc for rust work, panel, paint etc.

Where i find the novice falls is if they ask advice, they're told "yeah cut it back, fix the rust, etch, block, prime, block, prime blah blah blah".

What needs to be known is how do you remove paint? Stripper? Sanding discs? If so, what grit? What tools help? I personally was just introduced to the seaweed wheel on rotary tool and i think i'm in love. Haha.

What's etch primer, what's high fill, how do you block, what grit?

If you could write a guide where you include these things, you'll have a genuinely awesome user-friendly work that would encourage more people to give it a go.

And above all....make sure they know how long it takes to sand back allllllll the nooks and crannys. I spent a weekend on my windows and boot channel alone. Damn trim pins.......
    EFN 202 : knowledge is (horse)power!

Excellent idea and should become one of the technical sticky's!

I am sure there will be a lot of people who will appreciate the advice/information.

Good on you!!!!!

Brad - I would love to know how do do this myself (or what things I can do to save money in the process). My HT below is in dire need of a paint and I am planning on taking it to a panel shop for a full bare metal respray at the end of the year. More than happy to get on the tools myself and do what I can (i.e. doing all the sanding work at home) however wouldn't have the faintest idea where to start.

A guide would be fantastic.

[IMG]http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/3f367890eb.jpg[/IMG]

Also - do you own/work at a panel shop? Would be keen to bring my car to you if you have any examples of some show-quality resto's you've done at a reasonable price.

I'm no where near the painting stage yet but what I was thinking of doing is to strip the car, cut out the rust and pull any dents that I can, then etch prime, bog and high fill it myself.

I figure if I do this much myself, then take it to a painter, about half the prep work should be done, reducing the cost a bit.

BTW, For those of you like me that are too tight to pay for sand blasting or an acid bath, I've been using these paint removal disc's from Bunnings on a front clip I'm cleaning up. Absolutely briliant! It takes it straight back to bare metal but hardly leaves a mark.

[IMG]http://www.easytogethardware.com.au/images/T/STRIP%20IT%20DISC%20002.JPG[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by davidgl View Post
    Excellent idea and should become one of the technical sticky's!

I am sure there will be a lot of people who will appreciate the advice/information.

Good on you!!!!!
    +1. Will definately be keeping an eye on this thread.

Be careful with those strip disks, they can get the panel very hot and warp it.
    HDT Brock Calais

Last edited by EV1LVT; 03-08-2010 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by adp calais View Post
    Be careful with those strip disks, they can get the panel very hot and warp it.
    tks for the heads up, didnt think of that.
    I've also heard that if one of these disc's let go, they do so in a big way. I haven't had the terror/excitement of this happen to me yet.

Thread Information