Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Inhibitor for alloy radiator and alloy heads

Tried looking for a thread on this but I'd like to find out what a good rust/corrosion inhibitor to use with alloy heads, alloy radiator and cast iron block.
    I've only been using demineralised water but I'm sure I need something to stop the corrosion from starting.
    What does everyone use??
    I don't need a coolant of any kind, car runs on 85 deg all day long

I used Tectaloy concentrate when I had Iron motor with alloy radiator, ran fine with no problem. Have put the same with new combo. you can get different types, 1 bottle of Tectaloy Gold makes 15 litres of coolant

been here .......too long Smitty2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pro068 View Post
    Tried looking for a thread on this but I'd like to find out what a good rust/corrosion inhibitor to use with alloy heads, alloy radiator and cast iron block.
    I've only been using demineralised water but I'm sure I need something to stop the corrosion from starting.
    What does everyone use??
    I don't need a coolant of any kind, car runs on 85 deg all day long

I use Castrol....and have done so for quite a few years now
    http://www.castrol.com/castrol/multi...tentId=7000401
    It goes in the race car with de-min water and a drop of water wetter and keeps the system clean

hth
    Last edited by Smitty2; 06-04-2010 at 11:18 PM.

Never late in an AussieV8!
    Club circuit racing...the best fun you can have with your pants on

Thanks guys

I was told by ADC (I know, i know...) to run the genuine GM coolant for the LS motors. (They actually told me another model, but i figured it out with the GM Holden parts rep... )

It's a red, almost oily feeling coolant. I suspect it's more aimed at being a corrosion inhibitor than a coolant as such as it was intended for the all-alloy LS's. Whatever you do though, don't tip it on your garden, my mate still has a dead patch on his lawn about 9 months on!

Part of the furniture

Im using Tectaloy 100 performance in an alloy radaiotor and cast iron block i dont seem to have any issues atm

Any concentrate coolant with demin water and mixed 50%, highest glycol the better.

Careful it's my understanding that ethylene glycol by itself will speed up corrosion and attack certain metals, thats why it's always used with corrosion inhibitors.

Most OEM's use glycol's for it's lower freezing temp even though it raises the bioling temp slightly.

What happens when water feezes? -- it expands, cracking blocks, heads etc

On perfect cooling systems I use PriMax RCP corrosion inhibitor or one of their glycol based coolants if the customer goes to the snow.
    I do not use it in old or compromised cooling systems as it will find any hole, crack or compromised fitting and leak.

I applaude anyone who goes to the trouble of using disstilled / demineralised water. Rain water caught of a clean polycarbonate roof then filtered through one of those water jug thingy's, is nealy as good

Quote Originally Posted by jackman View Post

I applaude anyone who goes to the trouble of using disstilled / demineralised water. Rain water caught of a clean polycarbonate roof then filtered through one of those water jug thingy's, is nealy as good
    buy it in Bunnings
    5lt for $5

Quote Originally Posted by beeb View Post
    I was told by ADC (I know, i know...) to run the genuine GM coolant for the LS motors. (They actually told me another model, but i figured it out with the GM Holden parts rep... )

It's a red, almost oily feeling coolant. I suspect it's more aimed at being a corrosion inhibitor than a coolant as such as it was intended for the all-alloy LS's. Whatever you do though, don't tip it on your garden, my mate still has a dead patch on his lawn about 9 months on!
    its called dexcool
    and its much better than the normal antifreeze type ethyl glycol stuff on alloy engines

casual poster

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty2 View Post
    buy it in Bunnings
    5lt for $5

the said bunnings employ a child to fill 5ltr containers out the back, and pass it off as distilled water...... scam of the highest order.

the biggest myth of all time is distilled water.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty2 View Post
    its called dexcool
    and its much better than the normal antifreeze type ethyl glycol stuff on alloy engines
    Sounds about right. It is good stuff though.

Should be banned...again! Schnoook's Avatar

Ok, this sounds odd and I may cop alot of flack, however I am a mechanic of 25 years exp, now off the tools, and when ever I did head gasket repairs or cooling and heater core repairs, the best stuff I used was Toyota genuine corrosion inhititor. I used this on any alloy headed vehicle including Mercedes-Benz's, EA-EF Falcons heads etc etc. I run this in my 429BBF that has SVO alloy heads and an alloy radiator, and will run it in my 351 Windsor with AFD 4V Cleveland heads once it's built. I also add a surfactant additive which helps reduce the surface tension of water by adsorbing at the liquid-gas interface. Not saying that anything else is inferior, just offering advice on what I've used since 1987 when I started my apprenticeship.
    Last edited by Schnoook; 08-04-2010 at 12:47 PM.

Part of the furniture

X2 on the toyota stuff. Its the ducks guts for corrosion inhibitor.

Pro have you looked at the redline stuff ?

Here is the link they make one with rust inhibitor:
    Red Line Oils Australia - Redline Motor & Gear Oil, Race Oils, Auto Transmission Fluid, Hydraulic Oils, WaterWetter, Fuel Additives, 2 & 4 Stroke Oils, Suspension Fluids, Fleet Products, Diesel Additives

Thread Information