Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default fuel brands and quality

has anyone found 1 brand or grade of petrol to be CONSISTANTLY better or worse than the others

i know that this is a bit subjective, but if i was asked, i would base my "conclusions" on an increase/decrease of fuel consumption, increase/decrease in pinking and/or knocking, etc

i would really like to hear your experiences about "good gas/bad gas", especially any long term tests you may have done regarding mpg

regards, johnny
    OK im off to have some "stealth" sex. The misses wont even see me coming!

haha t/y dart407

The only 98 octane fuel we get in town is supplied from the 1 Shell service station.

After having my engine built, I filled up twice at this servo. Both times the car coughed, spluttered and just about died. I had to drain the tank twice. First time it happened I figured it was a one off, but it happened again so I was not impressed! Anyone had similar issues with Shell 98?

Ever since then, I filled up at the BP in town with 95 octane. It ran like a dream. I will continue to buy from there and have my car tuned to it.

A lot of people say the detergents in Optimax aren't great for carby V8s, but I've never really had problems.

I started with Optimax and ir ran like a pig, switched to Mobil 8000 ran much better, currently using Vortex 98 which also runs very well.

I prefer Mobil, and have had cars that have used their 2000, 6000, and 8000 ranges, always been happy with their fuel - All cars have run happily and smoothly on their fuels. Have heard that it's more consistent batch-to-batch than other brands too, but whether that's true or not, i don't know.

Shell is the worst, same thing as 532man, filled up a couple of times at the same servo, car runs like poo, then fill up at mobil or something, better all good. Shell tankers also fill the 7-11's, so i'd let that speak to Shell's quality...

BP's can be a bit hit-and-miss, some of the BP run ones have quite good fuel, some of the franchisee ones can be terrible.

Do you ever leave?

I don't think it's the fuel so much as the servo you get it from & how long since the tanker filled their tanks to you filling yours.Also how old the tanks in the ground are & a number of other things.In Perth I used 1 BP servo & never had a problem.Here in Kalgoorlie it may be a bit different but time will tell.I'll be useing BP 98 I bought 20lts to get the car started & running,haven't had a problem with it so will use that servo for now

i worked for BP in town, 3hrs from syd, our fuel was suplied by shell, then it went to BP where they added there special touches (colouring iv been told) for it to become BP fuel, then delivered to us (we had about 40 servos)
    the Ultimate we sold was Mobil synergy(98)! shell couldnt supply optimax(98), so they had to source it from mobil (98)

so if you get dirty/dud fuel, i wouldnt be surprised if its the store not the supplyer because more than likely the shop down the road got a delivery from the same truck

532 wrote ''The only 98 octane fuel we get in town is supplied from the 1 Shell service station.''

I take it your not in a large town? if the servo gets 10000L of 98 delivered it proberly sits in the ground for months? maby this is the reason it was off???

Part of the furniture kiwisteves68's Avatar

A few years back I was told by the carby guys at Hume performance that the best option at that time was BP ultimate 98 octane. Apparently it is/was a half octane better that the Caltex advertised 98 octane!

I typically use this where possible and it seems better than most.

These are my personal comments and is from someone who has about 5 sets of soot fouled plugs sitting in a box on the work-bench! so what the hell would I really know... LOL?

yep i dont think it matters what brand it is, just aslong as the servo is realitivly busy all the time you should be right. I usually try to stick to the one servo (BP on the way home from work) which i have never had trouble with so i will continue to use it. Being tuned for 98 i carry some octane booster around just incase i can get 98 anywhere (long trips out woop woop) or get shit fuel (which booster will prob do f all but you never know).

cheers

been here .......too long Smitty2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jimma View Post
    A lot of people say the detergents in Optimax aren't great for carby V8s, but I've never really had problems.
    Optimax is a BIG no-no for Carby bikes
    a lot of riders (me included ) have had major problems with this fuel
    .... I used to use anything but

funny thing is...my current ride (ZX12R) which has FI
    thrives on it... it stinks a bit when really hot 'starwars2
    (if you know what I mean) but it runs great

and then its great in the VK...hi comp race engine
    with a Quaddie ..it seems to be better than Mobil or BP premium

who knows...

Never late in an AussieV8!
    Club circuit racing...the best fun you can have with your pants on

I've spoken with a few tanker drivers at work and it's not uncommon for them to top up tanks at the servo with other product when the specified tank is full. We use BP ultimate in the offroad buggy and have had troubles with detonation at remote races like the finke desert race, and for that reason now try and purchase fuel in sealed 205 drums to avoid blended batches
    Last edited by HK580; 22-09-2009 at 12:08 AM.
    Apparently Common sense isn't that Common

same here

i filled my 92 h.d. up with shell optimax at my local (small) servo the other day, i reckon it went better than just about any other time that ive owned it i.e. since new

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty2 View Post
    Optimax is a BIG no-no for Carby bikes
    a lot of riders (me included ) have had major problems with this fuel
    .... I used to use anything but

funny thing is...my current ride (ZX12R) which has FI
    thrives on it... it stinks a bit when really hot 'starwars2
    (if you know what I mean) but it runs great

and then its great in the VK...hi comp race engine
    with a Quaddie ..it seems to be better than Mobil or BP premium

who knows...
    OK im off to have some "stealth" sex. The misses wont even see me coming!

haha t/y dart407

All fuels will loose there spike over time. I found this out with a Moto crosser sitting around for some time. (pre unleaded days)

I've been told the modern High Octane ULP are great for loosing there spike?

I use to be of the believer that a Busy servo would be the best place to buy my fuel for my red motored HR (Extractors, HEI) while I lived on the Sunshine Coast. But As the Leaded fuel was being fazed out, and forced to use ULP with a Lube. I found the performance drop off over the months.. And Economy, Man... You would think I was feeding a BB chev.

That was the Matilda on Glasshouse Mtns High Way . I started buying my fuel from a servo down the road (Caltex) and found the economy a hell of a lot more consistent.

Dan

Part of the furniture

Ive found Caltex 98 to be shit along with mobil 98. My engine runs on with this stuff and it gets warmer in traffic. I try and run BP 98 or optimax as the car always shuts off easy and doesnt get hot, the car also ran its pump fuel PB (9.70 @ 137mph) on shell optimax !

Some engines are different so i guess its just a matter of trying different fuels with your combo as not one fuel fits all.

I currently run my VK 6cyl work hack and Honda shadow scooter.

the shitter is tuned for E10, and i've found E10 from anywhere gives me the same performance/economy- just under 10l/100km highway.

the only non(?) ethanol fuel i've found that works with it is Caltex 95octane. this makes me think that Caltex use ethanol in theirs. Even the 98 octane fuels give less performance than 95 octane E10. if you could call use 6 cyl commo and performance in the same sentence, without laughing.

The scooter uses 95 or 98 octane from where I need fuel, but never E10. I recently used a 98 octane e10 from a local servo and it ran like crap. BP98 is best for it. It hates Shell
    If a man says something in a forest, and his wife isn't there to hear him................is he still wrong?

Thread Information