Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: early heads cc

if it dont go chrome it

Default early heads cc

whats the average cc's in early cast closed chamber heads?
    if a little knowledge is a dangerous thing then I have enough to seriously hurt myself

vkberlina

Quote Originally Posted by Unorthodox-racing View Post
    whats the average cc's in early cast closed chamber heads?
    my old HQ heads measured 57 cc, if that helps.

if it dont go chrome it

my pistons are .030 flat tops .018 down the hole, thats would give me about 10.1 to 1, nice
    if a little knowledge is a dangerous thing then I have enough to seriously hurt myself

if it dont go chrome it

why? .040 head gasket, thats plenty of quench, this engine is not my daily driver anymore & I dont mind buyin ultimate or 103 for it, but Im not a fan of avgas, I wont be using this engine on the street much ..... Iv got a 4.44 10 bolt with a mini spool so only to go to the bottlO & thats only seldom, mostly looking at driving it 1/4 mile at a time
    Last edited by Unorthodox-racing; 18-05-2008 at 06:44 PM.

if it dont go chrome it

Iv been using a sealed power 473" 497" 214@ 50 & 224 @ 50 on a 112 lobe sep, with no issues (except for the issues in my 308 affair thread) its a great cam, I like it
    Im going up to a cch286 496" 230@50 110 lobe sep, installed strait up.
    But the difference will be going from the open to closed chamber heads,

the split cam & open chambers actually went pretty good,
    Last edited by Unorthodox-racing; 18-05-2008 at 07:59 PM.

vkberlina

Darryl. i'm sorry mate , but im getting a bit lost here when you say your going from open to closed chamber heads. Were the original heads counter-bored, or the chambers edge layed over.?

if it dont go chrome it

I have never seen open chamber heads on a holden v8 untill this morning,
    Iv got 4 sets of heads here & one set is definitly cast open chamber, (low compression) I have seen it plenty of times with iron BB chrysler heads to where the closed chamber is a minority, but never a holden, I cant wait to try these closed chamber heads, I would say at a guess the cc would have to be in the 70cc range, A bb chrysler open is usally around the 88cc range and closed iron heads in the mid low 70s,
    but these holden heads a definitly open chamber yet non egr cross over but have the later bigger valves, the cast # is 2812174
    Last edited by Unorthodox-racing; 18-05-2008 at 08:41 PM.

vkberlina

I don't know the numbers.... can anyone here shed some light?

if it dont go chrome it

they got me stumped, I had to look twice with the "what the f#*k???" thing goin on, but I was also doin surgery on the 308 so didnt realy take a lot of notice untill beer Oclock when I took a second look

casual poster

From research and feedback in this forum aim for 0.040”; optimum in quench type engines. Any closer than 0.040” there is a risk of collision between piston and cylinder head, any greater and the chance of inducing detonation at even low static comps is increased.

Also refer to link below:
    http://racingarticles.com/article_racing-10.html

.......... If you are building an engine with steel rods, tight bearings, tight pistons, modest RPM and automatic transmission, a .035" quench is the minimum practical to run without engine damage. The closer the piston comes to the cylinder head at operating speed, the more turbulence is generated. Turbulence is the main means of reducing detonation. Unfortunately, the operating quench height varies in an engine as RPM and temperature change. If aluminium rods, loose pistons, (they rock and hit the head), and over 6000 RPM operation is anticipated, a static clearance of .055" could be required. A running quench height in excess of .060" will forfeit the benefits of the quench head design and can cause severe detonation....................

if it dont go chrome it

Quote Originally Posted by vkberlina View Post
    I don't know the numbers.... can anyone here shed some light?
    you have mail

if it dont go chrome it

Quote Originally Posted by PVE View Post
    From research and feedback in this forum aim for 0.040”; optimum in quench type engines. Any closer than 0.040” there is a risk of collision between piston and cylinder head, any greater and the chance of inducing detonation at even low static comps is increased.

Also refer to link below:
    http://racingarticles.com/article_racing-10.html

.......... If you are building an engine with steel rods, tight bearings, tight pistons, modest RPM and automatic transmission, a .035" quench is the minimum practical to run without engine damage. The closer the piston comes to the cylinder head at operating speed, the more turbulence is generated. Turbulence is the main means of reducing detonation. Unfortunately, the operating quench height varies in an engine as RPM and temperature change. If aluminium rods, loose pistons, (they rock and hit the head), and over 6000 RPM operation is anticipated, a static clearance of .055" could be required. A running quench height in excess of .060" will forfeit the benefits of the quench head design and can cause severe detonation....................
    even a dished holden piston is not dished in the quench zone, Iv run BB chrysler with zero deck hieght & closed chamber iron heads before wih avgas and had good results, just that avgas burns way too slow
    Last edited by Unorthodox-racing; 18-05-2008 at 09:01 PM.

vkberlina

Quote Originally Posted by Unorthodox-racing View Post
    you have mail
    Unbelievable, i have never seen open chamber 308 heads till now.
    Like i said, i have seen counter-bored heads for Methanol, but this is different!

if it dont go chrome it

Quote Originally Posted by 400HPONLPG View Post
    Your running quench at at least .060, obviously you dont want to deck the Block !
    230 degrees on this particular 286 , well that gives a ABDC of 60 degrees, so your
    Dynamic compression will be a whopping of
    Wait for it
    8.5 : 1 , now I see why , it will be fine on standard unleaded !!!!!
    Just rev the crap out of it !!!!
    & if I took say .010 off the deck??

if it dont go chrome it

Quote Originally Posted by vkberlina View Post
    Unbelievable, i have never seen open chamber 308 heads till now.
    Like i said, i have seen counter-bored heads for Methanol, but this is different!
    its got me fuked too m8, I will be useing the heads on the left of the photo, when I brought them Im sure the guy said they where 55cc but I cant remember, been a while

Thread Information