Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30

Thread: Big $$$ Holdens

  1. #1
    casual poster
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    ipswich qld
    Posts
    200

    Default Big $$$ Holdens

    I've been looking to buy a hk-g holden but shocked by the dollars people are asking.
    Is anyone really paying 10k for a rusty paddock kingswood or 35k for a half decent prem? or are the sellers just dreaming.

  2. #2
    Part of the furniture
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    924

    Default

    yes people are paying for well presented cars have you had a quote from a panel shop lately ? everything you touch is big dollars 20k for panel and paint then you have the rest to deal with 35k doesn't get you much these days anywhere these days some of the rust heaps people are dreaming

  3. #3
    casual poster
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    ipswich qld
    Posts
    200

    Default

    Aussie cars until recently were a cheap option....mustangs and chevs seen cheap now

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Nth Qld
    Posts
    653

    Default

    HI
    The ozzy cars are putting themselves outa a job . For less money a better featured car canbe purchased better brakes better cooling with air con power steer from almost any where in the world .
    Most panel shops are interested in insurance for 90% of there work . Most restorations cost them $$. Needless to say Ozzy cars are not supported that well for parts ,no where near the support compared to the many overseas vehicles . P&P shop loose interest quick or charge heavily
    Most Holdens found with huge rust holes ,good luck for complete panels .

    Many serious restorations have there bodies dipped and or many spot welded joints unpicked . Most Holdens /Fords donot have extensive body restoration only patching .

    Unless u have proof of an extensive restoration =worth little ...Anybody can bog and paint . Rust will keep coming if serious attempts are not made to remove it .

    There are lotsa thieves around these days. Buyer beware .

    Is there anything special about 98% factory builds NO
    Are Holdens and Fords worth lotsa $$$ NO

  5. #5
    Do you ever leave? paulzig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    15,211

    Default

    Go to something else, start buying up early girl Commodores, XD/XE Falcons, Even VN's.. Its not the sellers fault if people are buying cars at ridiculous prices, stop buying and prices will drop, it will be a millionares hobby sooner rather than later..

  6. #6
    Part of the furniture
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    924

    Default

    can you buy an American car cheaper yes, but I wouldn't swap my hq coupe for a Camaro also with a lot of the yank cars they look good on the photos you think its a bargain until you start digging quality cars are not cheap in the states then there's the dollar import duty ect it all adds up . there only worth money because we can associate them with out childhood ask a bunch of 18yr olds if they want a solid roller 308 hq . if you want old school aussie you cant beat aussie made Chryslers for price

  7. #7
    Do you ever leave? paulzig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    15,211

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tuf72 View Post
    if you want old school aussie you cant beat aussie made Chryslers for price
    Getting a bit thin on the ground Aus Mopar stuff... I paid 25K for a 245 Hemi VH Charger a few yrs back, I could probably ask mid 30s for it now...

  8. #8
    Part of the furniture
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    924

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paulzig View Post
    Getting a bit thin on the ground Aus Mopar stuff... I paid 25K for a 245 Hemi VH Charger a few yrs back, I could probably ask mid 30s for it now...
    Yeah it is but ap5 ap6 vc regal ve regal are all good buying compared to some of the Holden ford stuff ahaha the TAVO (tight ass valiant owners ) are keeping prices in check you wouldn't get much of a holden coupe for mid 30s

  9. #9
    casual poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Mackay,qld
    Posts
    235

    Default

    I bought my HQ SS matching numbers and paid good money. Undergoing full resto as we speak. Hoping prices keep going up as Iím looking at it as an investment that I can enjoy.

  10. #10
    Part of the furniture
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    924

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chevguy View Post
    I bought my HQ SS matching numbers and paid good money. Undergoing full resto as we speak. Hoping prices keep going up as Iím looking at it as an investment that I can enjoy.
    I bought a hq 2 door gts one owner for $1200 still hav t 20 yrs on is had a freshen up over the years if someone offered me around 100k id consider it 20 yrs of reg and insurance is 20k paint 20 k 2 engines trans and nine inch 20k plus all the sundries I don't see it as an investment but I love taking it for a drive

  11. #11
    casual poster
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    ipswich qld
    Posts
    200

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swampy View Post
    HI
    The ozzy cars are putting themselves outa a job . For less money a better featured car canbe purchased better brakes better cooling with air con power steer from almost any where in the world .
    Most panel shops are interested in insurance for 90% of there work . Most restorations cost them $$. Needless to say Ozzy cars are not supported that well for parts ,no where near the support compared to the many overseas vehicles . P&P shop loose interest quick or charge heavily
    Most Holdens found with huge rust holes ,good luck for complete panels .

    Many serious restorations have there bodies dipped and or many spot welded joints unpicked . Most Holdens /Fords donot have extensive body restoration only patching .

    Unless u have proof of an extensive restoration =worth little ...Anybody can bog and paint . Rust will keep coming if serious attempts are not made to remove it .

    There are lotsa thieves around these days. Buyer beware .

    Is there anything special about 98% factory builds NO
    Are Holdens and Fords worth lotsa $$$ NO
    Theyre not worth it. How many times have you heard "Ive seen these on the internet for blah blah" ,sellers start dreaming but does anyone actually pay or will they just be turned off?

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    lurking in the shadows
    Posts
    422

    Default

    I overheard someone at a car show a couple of weeks back remark that camaros are the new commodores.

    Given how many I see at shows these days, he is probably right.

    Aussie Chryslers are alright, until you have to deal with guys selling aussie chrysler parts lol.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Nth Qld
    Posts
    653

    Default

    HI
    I am glad my Holden is going up in value its great . The down side is getting young people interested . If there is no interest, the parts and resources dry up .Some critical parts are already not being produced .

    There are plenty of cars out there with better features than the OZZY cars .
    A HQ is nothing different besides 2 or 4 door . Nothing special mechanically about a v8 or GTS under body . Everyone fits a chev but how many remain that are FULLY optioned eg true LS Manaro`s or fully optioned Deville . These options are harder to find in Ozzy cars but in reality standard on many overseas cars and at least available to retrofit . At a cheaper price .

    The internet and both overseas old and modern cars do put to shame what Holden offered as standard equipment

    Where were the big block options /high performance small blocks.
    12 bolt diffs
    All Th400 or Muncie
    bigger 4 wheel disc
    optional 15 inch wheels due to bigger brakes
    larger cross flow radiators
    Luxury options

    When u compare its only the body style of a 2 door Q that's appealing although all Q bodies are nice better than the later box or early featureless commo

    When people realize ALL Holdens were approved by Detroit or should I say ECONOMIZED that's why the body is the best feature not the actual fitted features because 99% models were very plain .

  14. #14
    casual poster JaseQ314's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Great South East
    Posts
    277

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 71rocket View Post
    I've been looking to buy a hk-g holden but shocked by the dollars people are asking.
    Is anyone really paying 10k for a rusty paddock kingswood or 35k for a half decent prem? or are the sellers just dreaming.
    Yes and no, lots of sellers are just having a go but buyers encourage/justify them by paying ridiculous money for both good cars and shit boxes. That's driven the market right up for pretty much anything now.

    Look at some of the results from any Shannons auction, I just shake my head in disbelief, you can't fix stupid.

  15. #15
    Do you ever leave? paulzig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    15,211

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by guy incognito View Post
    Aussie Chryslers are alright, until you have to deal with guys selling aussie chrysler parts lol.
    True dat.. LOL. I sold some stuff at a Chrysler swap meet, the guys buying off me couldnt believe the reasonable prices I was charging..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. hastings old holdens
    By hz_350 in forum New South Wales
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 21-03-2011, 09:08 PM
  2. 1UZFE in old holdens.
    By gambler in forum Conversions, Rebuilds & Project Cars
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 26-01-2011, 11:57 PM
  3. HOLDENS and STUFF
    By suasage in forum For Sale Items
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 13-01-2009, 09:35 AM
  4. Street holdens
    By REV308 in forum Members Lounge
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 24-04-2008, 11:13 AM
  5. I hate holdens :p
    By Death By Bass in forum Conversions, Rebuilds & Project Cars
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 30-12-2005, 10:20 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •