Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: strange 308

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    adelaide
    Posts
    8

    Default strange 308

    Hi guys, just thought i would see if anyone can tell me if there is a cost affective way here ,i have bought a motor 308,L34 heads small cam as a user when my original donk is being rebuilt ,all hone marks still in bores, comp ok every thing clean in the motor just put a performer on it rocker boxes on flipped it over to swap sumps and wtf the conrod caps are back to front.....21 34 65 87 now before during and after the owner said this thing goes good and never had a problem was going to fire it up on the bench and thought i woul ask a more educated group of people to see whats involved in maybe rectifying this....thanks...Sean

  2. #2
    been here .......too long Smitty2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    bayside Melbourne
    Posts
    9,529

    Default

    conrod cap numbering is really only good with the first install
    ...in the factory

    after that..??? each rebuild should have the rods fitted with new bolts
    and the big ends resized, closed and honed

    Mix up the caps doing that? .. hell yeah
    __________________________________
    ONE OF THE Aussie V8 MODERATOR/ADMIN TEAM
    Never late in an AussieV8!
    Club circuit racing...the best fun you can have with your pants on

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    adelaide
    Posts
    8

    Default

    is there anyway the the bearings can go in the wrong way ....thanks

  4. #4
    Do you ever leave? immortality's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    3,076

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty2 View Post
    conrod cap numbering is really only good with the first install
    ...in the factory

    after that..??? each rebuild should have the rods fitted with new bolts
    and the big ends resized, closed and honed

    Mix up the caps doing that? .. hell yeah
    Really? That to me seems like poor practice.

    Quote Originally Posted by sean.. View Post
    is there anyway the the bearings can go in the wrong way ....thanks
    No, the bearings have little tangs on them so they can only fit one way inside the cap.

  5. #5
    Part of the furniture
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Nth Qld
    Posts
    1,013

    Default

    Hi
    If rods are cylinder marked resize and put back in same hole . Not challenging . To mix rod numbers yes canbe done but I would consider it poor work practice .
    Eg some are marked at factory your not going to mix these up are ya !! Have to go out to the shed but are not the rods notched for cam lubrication cap or rod .
    But does not matter put`em back in the right hole the right way round Simples...….


    My cheap 308 has backyarder mixed rods and caps its a f,,,kn disaster Total trash … Conrod brgs very very badly worn

  6. #6
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    adelaide
    Posts
    8

    Default

    so would i be close in saying the caps have been put on upside down as in 21,,43,,65,,87thanks for your time
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty2 View Post
    conrod cap numbering is really only good with the first install
    ...in the factory

    after that..??? each rebuild should have the rods fitted with new bolts
    and the big ends resized, closed and honed

    Mix up the caps doing that? .. hell yeah

  7. #7
    Do you ever leave? immortality's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    3,076

    Default

    Has this engine actually been run?

    Take one cap off, take the bearings out, put the cap back on and torque to spec and see if there is a lip where the mating surfaces are.

  8. #8
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    adelaide
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by immortality View Post
    Has this engine actually been run?

    Take one cap off, take the bearings out, put the cap back on and torque to spec and see if there is a lip where the mating surfaces are.
    the guy said its done under 20,000 and never had any noises.and runs good ,so thats why i thought caps were just upside down in that config...box is on dissy is in i was just a bit hesitant about putting it in after seeing that just going to have to run it i think...thanks

  9. #9
    Part of the furniture monaroman76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Whyalla
    Posts
    1,088

    Default

    Is there a corresponding number on the conrod itself?
    You could plastigauge all the clearances and if they are okay and consistent between one another, you'll be fine.

    Edit* sorry, I just saw you had it out of the car. I'd just pull the crank out and measure the clearances properly. I could help you out with mics and dial bore gauge if you get stuck
    Last edited by monaroman76; 12-05-2019 at 08:54 PM.

  10. #10
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    adelaide
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by monaroman76 View Post
    Is there a corresponding number on the conrod itself?
    You could plastigauge all the clearances and if they are okay and consistent between one another, you'll be fine.

    Edit* sorry, I just saw you had it out of the car. I'd just pull the crank out and measure the clearances properly. I could help you out with mics and dial bore gauge if you get stuck
    mate im sitting here gob smacked with your generosity,this engine is going in my 2door while i rebuild the original,your tools far surpass my knowledge in this field but cheers anyway monaroman,mate have a good week

  11. #11
    Do you ever leave? immortality's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    3,076

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sean.. View Post
    the guy said its done under 20,000 and never had any noises.and runs good ,so thats why i thought caps were just upside down in that config...box is on dissy is in i was just a bit hesitant about putting it in after seeing that just going to have to run it i think...thanks
    Well than I'd say bolt it in and go for it, if it's run that long it must be right or the bearings would have crapped themselves long ago. The numbering is just practice and will screw up the next guy who pulls it apart unless he/she marks it all again.

  12. #12
    Not the Kingswood! hq308's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    The Riff
    Posts
    2,195

    Default

    The guy who built it possibly built a few Chevs before building this Holden? Chevs have number one on the opposite bank to a Holden and it sounds like it's been assembled with the pistons and rods swapped side to side. Shouldn't cause too many dramas in a stocker.

  13. #13
    been here .......too long Smitty2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    bayside Melbourne
    Posts
    9,529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hq308 View Post
    The guy who built it possibly built a few Chevs before building this Holden? Chevs have number one on the opposite bank to a Holden and it sounds like it's been assembled with the pistons and rods swapped side to side. .............
    if that is the case, hopefully the pistons still point the right way
    __________________________________
    ONE OF THE Aussie V8 MODERATOR/ADMIN TEAM
    Never late in an AussieV8!
    Club circuit racing...the best fun you can have with your pants on

  14. #14
    been here .......too long Smitty2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    bayside Melbourne
    Posts
    9,529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by immortality View Post
    Really? That to me seems like poor practice.

    .....................
    unfortunately, it is all too common .....
    as is the practice of just 'writing' the cap number on with a paint pen
    instead of wiping out the old stamped number on the belt.. and re-stamping
    __________________________________
    ONE OF THE Aussie V8 MODERATOR/ADMIN TEAM
    Never late in an AussieV8!
    Club circuit racing...the best fun you can have with your pants on

  15. #15
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    adelaide
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty2 View Post
    unfortunately, it is all too common .....
    as is the practice of just 'writing' the cap number on with a paint pen
    instead of wiping out the old stamped number on the belt.. and re-stamping
    cheers guys ,its not going to sit rite in my head so i will pull the box off get it on the engine stand pull the caps and see what we have,i was sort of trying to dodge this as the converter has a bolt that is semi rounded(by my own hand)and the only resolve i can see is to cut it off, the bolt that is,or would you weld to the bolt .this was meant to be a simple swap and go but hey ya got to laugh,was just in the shed trying to work out how to flip the whole thing over as i have earthmoving gear, but think that this could take me further down the wrong path thanks for you time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. strange noise
    By OLD202 in forum 6 & 4 Cylinder discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 18-08-2010, 12:50 PM
  2. strange 253 engine
    By STOKER-ACE in forum Holden V8's
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-12-2009, 10:52 PM
  3. strange days indeed...
    By hr671 in forum Members Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-10-2009, 01:36 AM
  4. strange dunny...
    By kiwi in forum Comedy Central
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 27-04-2005, 10:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •