Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 35
  1. #1
    Part of the furniture ajvx01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    SA
    Posts
    1,172

    Default What do you wish you knew in advance?

    Hi all,
    My turbo 304 build is coming closer to turning the key with mainly just the dump pipe back exhaust left and the fuel system to be plumed up.

    My question is, to those who have turbo charged a 304 before, what did you learn that you wish you knew in advance? Or what tips/tricks/words of wisdom do those who have done this before have?

    I'm hoping I can learn from others experience in boosting the old 304..

    Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk
    willing to do domestic/commercial electrical work for car parts/panel work.

  2. #2
    casual poster
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    199

    Default

    Hey mate,
    I'm not exactly 304 & turbo (I'm LS turbo) but if I could go back a couple years and impart some wisdom on my former self it'd be to acknowledge the limits of pump 98 in a boost application.
    I blew a nice clean ls6 to pieces simply coz I went from 11psi to 12.5psi (400rwkw to 456rwkw) and stayed on pump 98.
    Had it tuned at a shop - and yeah, perhaps there was a problem with the tune (I'll never know) - but if I could go back and jump on the e85 bandwagon, I definitely would.
    Maybe that helps? I dunno.
    Either way, boosted 8's are fukking killer, so enjoy dude.
    Dave

  3. #3
    254RWHP boat anchor EVL253's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    bathurst
    Posts
    5,219

    Default

    learning from a mates turbo 355.

    get someone who knows how to tune them first & foremost properly!

    his had 40deg timing leading upto zero vac. so at zero vac turbo is on its way to building boost.

    once detonation starts its hard to stop.

    his when pulled apart had been rattling badly. even though the knock sensor on dyno wasnt picking it up
    11 second E85 bottle fed boat anchor

  4. #4
    Part of the furniture ajvx01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    SA
    Posts
    1,172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dead8 View Post
    Hey mate,
    I'm not exactly 304 & turbo (I'm LS turbo) but if I could go back a couple years and impart some wisdom on my former self it'd be to acknowledge the limits of pump 98 in a boost application.
    I blew a nice clean ls6 to pieces simply coz I went from 11psi to 12.5psi (400rwkw to 456rwkw) and stayed on pump 98.
    Had it tuned at a shop - and yeah, perhaps there was a problem with the tune (I'll never know) - but if I could go back and jump on the e85 bandwagon, I definitely would.
    Maybe that helps? I dunno.
    Either way, boosted 8's are fukking killer, so enjoy dude.
    Dave
    Fantastic feedback thanks! I'm getting very close and very excited! Do you run water /meth injection at all? I plan to run that with 98..

    Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk
    willing to do domestic/commercial electrical work for car parts/panel work.

  5. #5
    Part of the furniture ajvx01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    SA
    Posts
    1,172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EVL253 View Post
    learning from a mates turbo 355.

    get someone who knows how to tune them first & foremost properly!

    his had 40deg timing leading upto zero vac. so at zero vac turbo is on its way to building boost.

    once detonation starts its hard to stop.

    his when pulled apart had been rattling badly. even though the knock sensor on dyno wasnt picking it up
    Thanks, I've got a good tuner. He's not great to get hold of for questions (hence this post) but knows holden motors like the inside of his eyelids.

    Appreciate the feedback

    Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk
    willing to do domestic/commercial electrical work for car parts/panel work.

  6. #6
    Part of the furniture ajvx01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    SA
    Posts
    1,172

    Default

    Pic of my setup for those interested.

    Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk
    willing to do domestic/commercial electrical work for car parts/panel work.

  7. #7
    Do you ever leave? DR327VK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    ADELAIDE
    Posts
    2,794

    Default

    If the motor is not run in yet, don't worry about making any boost in run in,
    don't for get leon can now convert the EFI system to LS1 computer & run multi coils, far more tune able eg any can do a touch up or track tune it on the fly!!

    Make sure battery is 100% charged, fresh fuel, if you got double valve springs don't forget to leave inners out in cam bedding, then go through the big job to fit them after cam bedded. Use crane cam lube aswell but if its a roller cam disregard what I just said LOL

    PS don't use coolant in engine run in!! some people remove thermostat so theres no traped air in the system causing issues.

    looking good!
    SA AUTO TEK
    https://www.facebook.com/SA-AUTO-TEK-1043624872327176/


    My Channel You Tube - VK 327 Stroker E85 Fueled since 2008
    http://www.youtube.com/user/DR327VK#g/u

  8. #8
    Part of the furniture ajvx01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    SA
    Posts
    1,172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DR327VK View Post
    If the motor is not run in yet, don't worry about making any boost in run in,
    don't for get leon can now convert the EFI system to LS1 computer & run multi coils, far more tune able eg any can do a touch up or track tune it on the fly!!

    Make sure battery is 100% charged, fresh fuel, if you got double valve springs don't forget to leave inners out in cam bedding, then go through the big job to fit them after cam bedded. Use crane cam lube aswell but if its a roller cam disregard what I just said LOL

    PS don't use coolant in engine run in!! some people remove thermostat so theres no traped air in the system causing issues.

    looking good!
    Thanks mate! Perfect info. I've actually been trying to get to Leon to ask about ls1 coils! Do you still use the standard dizzy? I have a vt dizzy I want to use?

    Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk
    willing to do domestic/commercial electrical work for car parts/panel work.

  9. #9
    Not the Kingswood! hq308's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    The Riff
    Posts
    2,195

    Default

    That looks great

    I'd assume you'd need to run a VT distributor to use an LS1 computer. The LS computer would need a cam sync signal.

  10. #10
    Part of the furniture ajvx01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    SA
    Posts
    1,172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hq308 View Post
    That looks great

    I'd assume you'd need to run a VT distributor to use an LS1 computer. The LS computer would need a cam sync signal.
    Yeah that's good then as I have one, I want the option of sequential injection. From what I understand the vt dizzy works if the ecu is in low resolution mode.

    Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk
    willing to do domestic/commercial electrical work for car parts/panel work.

  11. #11
    Part of the furniture gtrboyy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    1,095

    Default

    From mate's turbo cars would say heat control...things like to get melty in engine bay.

    For tuning going over everything 2-3 times as usually silly little things will cause delays & bring extra set or two of spark plugs.

    Engine bay looks clean as...want to do same manifold mod with throttle bodytoo!!!

    msd or crane cdi?

  12. #12
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    broken hill
    Posts
    4

    Default

    im about to start the same thing in my torana , so what have u done motor wize ? your set up looks mint

  13. #13
    Part of the furniture ajvx01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    SA
    Posts
    1,172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gtrboyy View Post
    From mate's turbo cars would say heat control...things like to get melty in engine bay.

    For tuning going over everything 2-3 times as usually silly little things will cause delays & bring extra set or two of spark plugs.

    Engine bay looks clean as...want to do same manifold mod with throttle bodytoo!!!

    msd or crane cdi?
    Yeah heat is my main concern! The turbo itself and all piping hot and cold is getting ceramic coated and I'll be wrapping the rear half of the dump pipe on top of the ceramic. Plus a turbo beanie. All the wiring is getting sheathed etc.
    Using oil and trans coolers for fluid temps but I'm still brainstorming a way to keep the bay temps down..

    Any ideas guys? Do reverse cowels do anything for cooling?

    Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk
    willing to do domestic/commercial electrical work for car parts/panel work.

  14. #14
    Part of the furniture ajvx01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    SA
    Posts
    1,172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cullensy View Post
    im about to start the same thing in my torana , so what have u done motor wize ? your set up looks mint
    Thanks! Not much done to this one, Ive bought a block from tk I'm getting him to build once we've tuned and found the weak points on this "sacrificial" motor.
    For now this one has the modified intake manifold and ls1 throttle body, modified oil pump, 9L sump, external oil drain backs, upgraded ignition etc and water/methanol injection.
    I'm hoping we can get around 400-450 rwhp from this set up and make it last to the other side of summer before the "big motor" is built..

    Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk
    willing to do domestic/commercial electrical work for car parts/panel work.

  15. #15
    casual poster
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Country Victoria
    Posts
    147

    Default

    Good work bud! Keep us in the loop you're progressing a lot faster than mine!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. So, you thought you knew everything about Brake Pads?
    By bendix in forum BENDIX Put your foot down with confidence
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-11-2018, 04:32 AM
  2. K, so who knew that a "Turbo Lamp" was an actual thing?
    By CruizCalifornia in forum Members Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-04-2014, 04:53 PM
  3. I knew this would happen......the race is back on!
    By mnroo in forum Members Lounge
    Replies: 82
    Last Post: 30-08-2013, 09:45 PM
  4. I wish i knew
    By HQ on-ice in forum Members Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 16-10-2007, 06:21 PM
  5. I Never Knew
    By TheUteBandit in forum Images & Videos
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-02-2007, 10:20 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •