Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    647

    Default Commo centre bearing

    Question guys. My centre bearing threads which mount it to the floor pan have finally flogged out. Are they just welded nuts under the carpet? Can you just nut and bolt through the floor? Cheers


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    254RWHP boat anchor EVL253's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    bathurst
    Posts
    5,212

    Default

    a mate done that yes. in the absence of a welder so big body washers and nut & bolt straight through. pain in the ass but needing 2 people to undo it
    11 second E85 bottle fed boat anchor

  3. #3
    been here .......too long Smitty2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    bayside Melbourne
    Posts
    9,498

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Castiron355 View Post
    Question guys. My centre bearing threads which mount it to the floor pan have finally flogged out. Are they just welded nuts under the carpet? Can you just nut and bolt through the floor? Cheers


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    .. dont get that
    bearing strap and bottom support go/bolt into a mounting thingy .. not the floor itself

    as I did on mine, tap the blind nuts for a larger thread bolt
    or
    cut a side piece out and using a longer bolt, put a nut in from the side
    __________________________________
    ONE OF THE Aussie V8 MODERATOR/ADMIN TEAM
    Never late in an AussieV8!
    Club circuit racing...the best fun you can have with your pants on

  4. #4
    Do you ever leave?
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Sometimes Melbourne
    Posts
    2,367

    Default

    The "mounting thingy" does bolt to the floor though....

    PITA to fix this problem, as Rick suggests a welder would be handy.

  5. #5
    been here .......too long Smitty2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    bayside Melbourne
    Posts
    9,498

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HQ 368 View Post
    The "mounting thingy" does bolt to the floor though....

    PITA to fix this problem, as Rick suggests a welder would be handy.
    the mounting thing.. is a welded on blind panel on every early commodore I have seen
    including mine

    either tap a bigger hole .. or go in sideways and fit a nut

    __________________________________
    ONE OF THE Aussie V8 MODERATOR/ADMIN TEAM
    Never late in an AussieV8!
    Club circuit racing...the best fun you can have with your pants on

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    647

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty2 View Post
    the mounting thing.. is a welded on blind panel on every early commodore I have seen
    including mine

    either tap a bigger hole .. or go in sideways and fit a nut

    Yeah that’s the thingy holes Smitty. In yellow. What did you re-tap to. I was hoping that could be done.
    Cheers


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    been here .......too long Smitty2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    bayside Melbourne
    Posts
    9,498

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Castiron355 View Post
    Yeah that’s the thingy holes Smitty. In yellow. What did you re-tap to. I was hoping that could be done.
    Cheers


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bolt #21 pictured is the one that goes into the 'yellow' mounting thingy hanging off the floor..
    ( I forget what size they are ...but they are HT bolts!)

    just go up one size... if 5/16 go to 3/8 or same with metric say 8mm to 10mm
    buy some bolts and buy a matching hand tap and re-do the threads
    ... is my preferred fix here

    Another way is cut a slot on the side enuff to put a new nut in that way.. that works
    with a longer bolt

    I have seen people weld new nuts on the BOTTOM/OUTSIDE of the floor mount thingy
    I do not recommend that (changes tailshaft angle .. plus if the weld fails )
    __________________________________
    ONE OF THE Aussie V8 MODERATOR/ADMIN TEAM
    Never late in an AussieV8!
    Club circuit racing...the best fun you can have with your pants on

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. vx ss centre bearing
    By 308HG in forum Driveline & Suspension
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-12-2016, 02:25 AM
  2. How to change vx vu tailshaft centre bearing
    By kham383 in forum Driveline & Suspension
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 17-11-2012, 02:11 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 20-10-2012, 08:19 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-07-2012, 11:45 PM
  5. SWAP 4.11 spooled 9" centre for 3.7 centre
    By HQ505 in forum Members Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 22-07-2011, 02:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •