Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 25 of 25
  1. #16
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NOHOPE View Post
    I went with this option, 120amp unit from the states. Tuffstuff is the brand. Old school shape with external fan, if anything I ended up with more clearance to the plug. This is with early heads.
    Cheers mate, I think this might be the go in the end -- I asked my mechanic and he said he was using one of these units too because it was in the stock casing = no clearance issues.

  2. #17
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill355 View Post
    I am running the Bosch BXH1253A 120A in my HX - early heads.

    Using a gilmer belt, obviously no slippage. Only a small mod required to the H Series alternator bracket (filing off part of the mount).

    Not sure if that helps the OP.
    Thanks Bill - do you have any photos of the setup?
    I think because the early commodore V8s have their alternator mounted just below the AC comp on the driver's side there isnt much room to play with.
    I've heard a fair few people even have issues with the alternators clipping the rails and they need to fold them over etc for clearance.

    My major issue is how close the lead is (not so much the plug yet) to the back of the alternator as it sits with the 162mm unit in there at the moment.
    Someone else on my fb post said to 'clock' the alternator by popping the face off and basically re-bolting it so the orientation is different. Probably would work well for the extra mount they have, but dont think itll affect clearance much unless it gives just enough room to avoid that external regulator on them.

  3. #18
    Part of the furniture
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Nth Qld
    Posts
    1,125

    Default

    HI
    NOHOPE Which part number did u use for the Tuff stuff altenater 120amp

  4. #19
    casual poster NOHOPE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Papakura NZ
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Ill have a look for ya mate, ill post later tonight.

  5. #20
    casual poster
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Country Victoria
    Posts
    183

    Default

    What abou tthis?

    https://www.tuffcarparts.com.au/hold...flow-black-alt

    I had one of these to go on my old F100 but it didn't fit lol.

    The only difference between the Ford and Holden style Bosch alternators is the thickness of one of the legs on the alternator.

  6. #21
    Do you ever leave?
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    SA - Sthn Adelaide Foothills
    Posts
    2,973

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roccoloops View Post
    Thanks Bill - do you have any photos of the setup?
    I think because the early commodore V8s have their alternator mounted just below the AC comp on the driver's side there isnt much room to play with.
    I've heard a fair few people even have issues with the alternators clipping the rails and they need to fold them over etc for clearance.

    My major issue is how close the lead is (not so much the plug yet) to the back of the alternator as it sits with the 162mm unit in there at the moment.
    Someone else on my fb post said to 'clock' the alternator by popping the face off and basically re-bolting it so the orientation is different. Probably would work well for the extra mount they have, but dont think itll affect clearance much unless it gives just enough room to avoid that external regulator on them.
    I am happy to show you a pic, however not sure how that is done via the forum.

    If you send me a PM with your number I'll text you a few.

    The position of the alternator however will move from the driver's side to the passenger's side of the motor. Unless you are running other accessories this should not be an issue.


    Pic of H Series mount - maybe it will be too close to the rail?

    https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...jaxhist=0&vt=0

  7. #22
    Do you ever leave? immortality's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    3,102

    Default

    To me it seemed logical to move things about on the early girl V8 Commodores and use the later style PS and alternator mounts as it moves the alternator closer to the battery and puts the PS pump on the same side as the PS rack to simplify/clean up the lines.

  8. #23
    Do you ever leave? HQ308Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    2,694

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by immortality View Post
    To me it seemed logical to move things about on the early girl V8 Commodores and use the later style PS and alternator mounts as it moves the alternator closer to the battery and puts the PS pump on the same side as the PS rack to simplify/clean up the lines.
    cool ive never thought of it that way, good post!

  9. #24
    254RWHP boat anchor EVL253's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    bathurst
    Posts
    5,246

    Default

    when i put the VN headed stroker in my VB using the early head alternator mount i had to remove the 4 screws from the alternator and clock the alternator 90 deg so the reg would clear the pipes. dont know if this option would work for the later larger case one as i dont have one to check. nor early heads to check it on now
    11 second E85 bottle fed boat anchor

  10. #25
    casual poster NOHOPE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Papakura NZ
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by immortality View Post
    To me it seemed logical to move things about on the early girl V8 Commodores and use the later style PS and alternator mounts as it moves the alternator closer to the battery and puts the PS pump on the same side as the PS rack to simplify/clean up the lines.
    Exactly what I ended up doing as well, as you say was just logic really haha.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Hk Alternator
    By HK186p in forum Bodywork, Styling, Wiring & Sound
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 21-05-2016, 08:20 PM
  2. 308 alternator
    By broztron in forum Wanted (cars & items)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 19-10-2011, 07:20 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-09-2011, 10:19 PM
  4. EF or Au alternator on an ED 5.0
    By Bldnut01 in forum Ford V8's
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 19-04-2009, 11:58 AM
  5. Alternator
    By two40 in forum Bodywork, Styling, Wiring & Sound
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-11-2007, 05:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •