Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 99
  1. #16
    casual poster
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    North Brisbane
    Posts
    76

    Default

    Yep, looks great. It will sound awesome using the original heads as well. Nothing better than a VK.

  2. #17
    been here .......too long Smitty2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    bayside Melbourne
    Posts
    9,444

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CircuitVK View Post
    .................... Nothing better than a VK.
    yeah.. and with an Aussie V8
    __________________________________
    ONE OF THE Aussie V8 MODERATOR/ADMIN TEAM
    Never late in an AussieV8!
    Club circuit racing...the best fun you can have with your pants on

  3. #18
    been here .......too long Smitty2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    bayside Melbourne
    Posts
    9,444

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EH179 View Post
    ...............
    Ensure a good fuel supply for the Qjet.
    yeah good point...
    do what HDT with their strokers, go to a 3/8" fuel line
    (keep the small return line) and have a HI-VOL pump
    (mech or leccy) that pumps at least 120gph at no more
    than 7 or 7.5 psi
    __________________________________
    ONE OF THE Aussie V8 MODERATOR/ADMIN TEAM
    Never late in an AussieV8!
    Club circuit racing...the best fun you can have with your pants on

  4. #19
    casual poster Lacksballs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    81

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty2 View Post
    yeah good point...
    do what HDT with their strokers, go to a 3/8" fuel line
    (keep the small return line) and have a HI-VOL pump
    (mech or leccy) that pumps at least 120gph at no more
    than 7 or 7.5 psi
    So when HDT upgraded to a 3/8 line from the tank via the sender unit as thats only 5/16 fitting or was that too increased?

    Also did they continue to use the mechanical pump & used the electric as a "lift" pump?

  5. #20
    Do you ever leave? EH179's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Ipswich. QLD
    Posts
    3,825

    Default

    It would be pretty remiss of HDT to not increase the pick-up pipe to 3/8" also...

    Afaik, they used a HV mech' fuel (electric lift pump in tank) pump giving 7psi, as opposed to the regular pump with 4-7 psi.

  6. #21
    casual poster Lacksballs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    81

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EH179 View Post
    Leave it stock stroke and run with this, you might like it.
    Ensure a good fuel supply for the Qjet.
    Hi EH179

    May I ask, why you suggest to leave it "std stroke" with this camshaft spec?
    Not that Im doubting your comment just I don't understand camshafts sufficiently why the 272 spec stick is better suited to the 308????

  7. #22
    Do you ever leave? paulzig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    15,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lacksballs View Post
    Hi EH179

    May I ask, why you suggest to leave it "std stroke" with this camshaft spec?
    Not that Im doubting your comment just I don't understand camshafts sufficiently why the 272 spec stick is better suited to the 308????
    It isnt better suited, he just said you might like it... No reason you cant use the cam on both stock stroke, 355, even 383... It might be passable or acceptable to you in all 3 instances or it wont pass your standards..

  8. #23
    Do you ever leave? EH179's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Ipswich. QLD
    Posts
    3,825

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lacksballs View Post
    Hi EH179

    May I ask, why you suggest to leave it "std stroke" with this camshaft spec?
    Not that Im doubting your comment just I don't understand camshafts sufficiently why the 272 spec stick is better suited to the 308????
    Of course you can ask mate, but the answer is not always palatable.
    To be honest, i don't even rate this stick and would only use it if i was penniless, and had this sitting there.
    I personally like the 280 cam for street/strip sft type stuff, but i haven't tried it in a manual, so i can't comment too much, and not sure how it would perform with 955 manifold and Qjet.

    You may find a combo' to your liking, that i would totally hate driving and vice versa.
    Hard to gauge what another person likes, over the internet, some times.

  9. #24
    Do you ever leave? EH179's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Ipswich. QLD
    Posts
    3,825

    Default

    Lacksballs, what do you really want from your engine?

    I looked at your build photos and liked what i saw!

    Do you want something that can boogey?
    Something that just sounds the part, or what do you want?

  10. #25
    Do you ever leave? paulzig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    15,377

    Default

    A 355 with basic early heads, 5955 HDT intake and a quaddie with that cam isnt going to set the world on fire.. It wont boogie too hard, more like a slow interpretative dance than a hard boogie...

  11. #26
    been here .......too long Smitty2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    bayside Melbourne
    Posts
    9,444

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lacksballs View Post
    So when HDT upgraded to a 3/8 line from the tank via the sender unit as thats only 5/16 fitting or was that too increased?

    Also did they continue to use the mechanical pump & used the electric as a "lift" pump?
    3/8" all the way.. the pickup tube on the intank sender is also 3/8"
    and
    they used the upgraded Holden fuel system with intank low pressure pump
    (for hot fuel handling) and L34 style mech fuel pump
    __________________________________
    ONE OF THE Aussie V8 MODERATOR/ADMIN TEAM
    Never late in an AussieV8!
    Club circuit racing...the best fun you can have with your pants on

  12. #27
    casual poster Lacksballs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    81

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EH179 View Post
    Lacksballs, what do you really want from your engine?

    I looked at your build photos and liked what i saw!

    Do you want something that can boogey?
    Something that just sounds the part, or what do you want?
    EH179,

    I'd like it to reliable, with good road manners. Keeping in mind the build is my twist on a Group C road car rather than the race car HDT built.
    I want to be able to get in it and drive 200kms down the road turn around and come back. Drive it @ 110kph in 5th gear cruise along the motorway & when I want to push slot it into 3rd or 4th nail it & for it to be responsive.

  13. #28
    casual poster Lacksballs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    81

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty2 View Post
    3/8" all the way.. the pickup tube on the intank sender is also 3/8"
    and
    they used the upgraded Holden fuel system with intank low pressure pump
    (for hot fuel handling) and L34 style mech fuel pump

    So Smitty, did Holden delete the mechanical fuel pump, also any idea of the fuel pump part number (then Im surmising I wont need a pressure regulator in the system)???

  14. #29
    been here .......too long Smitty2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    bayside Melbourne
    Posts
    9,444

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lacksballs View Post
    So Smitty, did Holden delete the mechanical fuel pump, also any idea of the fuel pump part number (then Im surmising I wont need a pressure regulator in the system)???
    Holden used both mech and leccy pumps

    the mech fuel pump is M40 something (have one in the shed will check and advise)
    __________________________________
    ONE OF THE Aussie V8 MODERATOR/ADMIN TEAM
    Never late in an AussieV8!
    Club circuit racing...the best fun you can have with your pants on

  15. #30
    Do you ever leave? EH179's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Ipswich. QLD
    Posts
    3,825

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lacksballs View Post
    EH179,

    I'd like it to reliable, with good road manners. Keeping in mind the build is my twist on a Group C road car rather than the race car HDT built.
    I want to be able to get in it and drive 200kms down the road turn around and come back. Drive it @ 110kph in 5th gear cruise along the motorway & when I want to push slot it into 3rd or 4th nail it & for it to be responsive.
    If that's what you want then build the 355 using the 272 cam, with it's wide lsa and low lift lobes. (.482" Int, after lash)
    You can get Hydraulic cams with better lsa and bigger lobes off the shelf, that would work better and... zero maintenance.

    In hindsight, that hyd roller Actrol suggested might work good for you.

    The 955 and Qjet, while authentic, will keep the handbrake on a notch.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 326 stroker build (slow build!)
    By ryan350 in forum Holden V8's
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 20-11-2015, 10:40 PM
  2. Crane 286 or 226?
    By MudPlow in forum Holden V8's
    Replies: 82
    Last Post: 21-09-2012, 05:53 PM
  3. New engine build. recomendations on 355 build.
    By vkgrpa355 in forum Holden V8's
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 23-06-2011, 04:01 PM
  4. Crane cam 272 or 280?
    By epitaph in forum Holden V8's
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 13-10-2009, 10:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •