Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
  1. #1
    casual poster
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    adelaide
    Posts
    51

    Default Edelbrock rpm air gap

    Just wondering what people’s thoughts on the edelbrock rpm air gap for vn heads are? And what carby you run on it? Cheers

  2. #2
    Not the Kingswood! hq308's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    The Riff
    Posts
    2,041

    Default

    I've got one on a healthy VN head 308, I bought it because I wanted to keep it all under the bonnet but I'm happy with the way it works. I'm currently running a Fitech throttle body EFI on mine.

    If you're trying to keep it under the bonnet the Performer RPM is pretty hard to beat for the price.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Nth Qld
    Posts
    572

    Default

    HI
    MY holden v8 is drooling ……...

  4. #4
    Do you ever leave?
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    SA - Sthn Adelaide Foothills
    Posts
    2,912

    Default

    TK383 tested one out during the week.

    His write up:-

    "A bit of feedback on the Edelbrock single plane dyno'd yesterday (Tuesday this week).

    It performed quite well in HP & TQ respects, the combo it was bolted on was: 355 cubes, 11:1 comp, 256/262 on 110 centres crane roller, .420/.390 lobes, ported VN iron 2.055/1.625" valves, advance headers tri-y pipes, 2.5" collectors, quickfuel 750 carb & super sucker style 2" spacer.

    Couple of things tho, cyl/cyl distribution was not great, we ended up with the following jetting to get it as close as possible for EGT's on all cylinders (carb had power valves front & rear):

    1&3 - 77
    5&7 - 78
    2&4 - 76
    6&8 - 74

    It was still a bit hotter on the corners & cooler in the middle, right bank was on average hotter than left.

    By no means tragic, but worth looking at - we picked up a solid handful of HP evening out the EGT's & kept a couple of cylinders in the safe zone that if we hadn't had 8x EGT probes we wouldn't have known were hotter than we would have liked.

    Is it better than a harrop? - dunno, never dyno'd a harrop without runner entry work, but I can say it'd 'probably' be a slightly better intake in out the box & match ported only form."


    (Donk put out 471 Ftlb at 5,400rpm /552hp at 6,800rpm . . . carb and headers that came from the previous engine are holding her back a bit up top)

  5. #5
    casual poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Eltham
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Where was that write up please.

  6. #6
    Do you ever leave?
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    SA - Sthn Adelaide Foothills
    Posts
    2,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Woodduck View Post
    Where was that write up please.
    Facebook mate - search Tony Knight

  7. #7
    Do you ever leave?
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Just outside the A.C.T.
    Posts
    1,618

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill355 View Post
    TK383 tested one out during the week.

    His write up:-

    "A bit of feedback on the Edelbrock single plane dyno'd yesterday (Tuesday this week).

    It performed quite well in HP & TQ respects, the combo it was bolted on was: 355 cubes, 11:1 comp, 256/262 on 110 centres crane roller, .420/.390 lobes, ported VN iron 2.055/1.625" valves, advance headers tri-y pipes, 2.5" collectors, quickfuel 750 carb & super sucker style 2" spacer.

    Couple of things tho, cyl/cyl distribution was not great, we ended up with the following jetting to get it as close as possible for EGT's on all cylinders (carb had power valves front & rear):

    1&3 - 77
    5&7 - 78
    2&4 - 76
    6&8 - 74

    It was still a bit hotter on the corners & cooler in the middle, right bank was on average hotter than left.

    By no means tragic, but worth looking at - we picked up a solid handful of HP evening out the EGT's & kept a couple of cylinders in the safe zone that if we hadn't had 8x EGT probes we wouldn't have known were hotter than we would have liked.

    Is it better than a harrop? - dunno, never dyno'd a harrop without runner entry work, but I can say it'd 'probably' be a slightly better intake in out the box & match ported only form."


    (Donk put out 471 Ftlb at 5,400rpm /552hp at 6,800rpm . . . carb and headers that came from the previous engine are holding her back a bit up top)
    OP was inquiring about the Dual Plane Edelbrock...... not the single !

  8. #8
    Do you ever leave?
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Just outside the A.C.T.
    Posts
    1,618

    Default

    I used one on a mild street 383 build a while ago, it ended up making 475 odd HP and the same in torque. It used a 750HP carb.

    I was surprised at the fuel distribution, it wasn't too bad compared to some of the RPM intakes.

    Would definitely use one again on a street build that wasn't all-out.

  9. #9
    casual poster SLE355's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    VIC
    Posts
    199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill355 View Post
    Facebook mate - search Tony Knight
    I've looked and can't find it, got a link?

  10. #10
    Do you ever leave?
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Just outside the A.C.T.
    Posts
    1,618

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SLE355 View Post
    I've looked and can't find it, got a link?
    If you are on Facebook you will need to apply to join the "Pro Holden V8" group. It's all there.

  11. #11
    casual poster
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    adelaide
    Posts
    51

    Default

    Ok cheers struggler, my build is 308, 10.5 comp with 286 hydraulic camand 650 d/p. I love the look of the vic jnr manifold but have a feeling it might be to big for my engine

  12. #12
    casual poster
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    adelaide
    Posts
    51

    Default

    286 cam* and other than cleaned up standard vn heads

  13. #13
    Do you ever leave?
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Just outside the A.C.T.
    Posts
    1,618

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oneton View Post
    Ok cheers struggler, my build is 308, 10.5 comp with 286 hydraulic cam and 650 d/p. I love the look of the vic jnr manifold but have a feeling it might be to big for my engine.....

    286 cam* and other than cleaned up standard vn heads
    The RPM A/G and your 650 will be fine on that combo. Yes, the Vic Jnr is too big !

  14. #14
    Do you ever leave? paulzig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    15,211

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by struggler View Post
    Yes, the Vic Jnr is too big !
    471 Ftlb at 5,400rpm /552hp at 6,800rpm on the 355 TK did... I'd say its not too big, and thats with a big solid roller cam TQ will improve lower in the RPM range with less cam if thats what you're looking for.

  15. #15
    Do you ever leave?
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Just outside the A.C.T.
    Posts
    1,618

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paulzig View Post
    471 Ftlb at 5,400rpm /552hp at 6,800rpm on the 355 TK did... I'd say its not too big, and thats with a big solid roller cam TQ will improve lower in the RPM range with less cam if thats what you're looking for.
    Seriously ? A 286 cammed 304/8 is never going to have a torque peak at 5400 RPM and that is the kind of RPM the single plane needs to work effectively.... on a 355..... even more on a stock stroke combo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Wtb: Edelbrock msd
    By SKDMUP in forum Wanted (cars & items)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 27-08-2013, 04:21 PM
  2. Edelbrock LS1
    By SKDMUP in forum Wanted (cars & items)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-07-2013, 06:00 PM
  3. Edelbrock torker
    By vhg304 in forum Wanted (cars & items)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 14-08-2012, 11:07 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-06-2011, 10:09 PM
  5. edelbrock
    By dirtslinger in forum Wanted (cars & items)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 21-08-2009, 12:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •